XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

best tire choice for '06 VDP?

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2012, 12:43 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default best tire choice for '06 VDP?

It's time for tires for the 2006 XJ8 VDP. While the car was built with 19 inch wheels, we put 18's on a couple of years ago. I'm just wondering what experiences and recommendations the group may have.

I have been running Michelin Pilot Sports A/S which lasted only about 20,000 miles. I hear that is about normal for this type of Hi-performance tire; but I really have no way of knowing.

Is there a better tire which gives really good handling and more miles? Over the years, i've had great luck with Michelins but am willing to explore a better option. The tire dealer was talking about Perelli Zeros, are they a great tire?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Old 01-09-2012, 01:32 PM
Banned
Received 256 Likes on 218 Posts

Every "objective" tire Test/review I have seen has the Michelin Pilot Sport on top. However, if you study the test results carefully you will find that the difference between the top 3 brands is so minute that the authors have to "force" a point spread based on some very fine distinctions.

When I bought tires for my XJR I was primarily concerned with low noise and comfortable ride so I ended up with a Pirelli All Season. I suggest you decide on the top 2 characteristics important to you, carefully study the details of the test reports (say TireRack or Consumers Guide) and make a decision that suits you.

Had my primary interest been max cornering/stopping power in hot weather the decision would have been different.

Old 01-09-2012, 02:10 PM
Received 255 Likes on 143 Posts

As tarhealcracker wrote, choose the tire that best suits your overall driving style. If you want performance, your tread mileage will be a lot less than a tire designed for comfort. Each type of tire is manufactured with different compounds for their specific job. I try to stick with high performance all season tires; so far I have pretty good mileage with all my vehicles. I also study the reviews that correspond to the vehicles that I own and base my decisions on that.

The Continentals have been on my Wife's car for over 2 years and the All Terrains have been on my Durango for about 3 years. They have taken me to New York, Colorado, and all the southern States from Florida to California.

I currently have Cooper Zeon SR3-A on my 04 XJ8 VDP
Continental Extreme Contact DWS on my Wife's 04 X-Type
BF Goodrich All Terrains on my 00 Durango

Attached Thumbnails best tire choice for '06 VDP?-cooper-zeon-rs3-.jpg   best tire choice for '06 VDP?-continental-extremecontact-dws.jpg   best tire choice for '06 VDP?-bf-goodrich-all-terrain-ta.jpg  

Last edited by reyesl; 01-09-2012 at 03:32 PM.
Old 01-09-2012, 02:39 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,455 Likes on 1,951 Posts

When I had to replace the fronts, the dealer recommended what Jaguar put there originally, Pirelli P6000s, and so far I have no complaints. Cost was about the same as local tyre shops mainly because a local tyre shop comes out and does their tyre jobs !

My rears are some Joe NoName make which work OK, but I will probably replace with a top name. Might not be Pirelli this next time though, as being now retired, I have to count the pennies.

Old 01-09-2012, 02:49 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,202 Likes on 933 Posts

Been happy with P Zero Nero All Seasons. I thought they would be too hard and noisy, but haven't been. Sportier than Conti's (which I tried to replace, but are being disco'd). VDP I don't think should have a too aggressive of a tire, style a touring car.

Previous sports cars, I've been a fan of Bridgestone; especially the SO3 and RE's.

Old 01-09-2012, 03:38 PM
Received 70 Likes on 62 Posts

My Jag was purchased with brand new Pirelli's in the standard, original size. These tires are very expensive, but also very quick to flat spot. It takes a few miles to limber them up. They'll be me for hopefully quite sometime, however.

I'm concerned about the recent tire price increases--every brand, every style. These increases are pushing sales increases in Nitto's, Hankook's, Kumhos, Sumitoma's and other Far East built tires. Tires that used to run $100-150 are up about $50 each. Top brands, such as Goodrich, Michelin, Pirelli and Bridgestone, are quickly into the $250-300 range.

The days of going into a tire dealer on Saturday morning to buy a new set of tires is over. With hundreds of different sizes, the tires have to be warehoused at giant tire distributers and ordered in. How do you say, "Can you come back tomorrow?" Dealers don't get volume discounts on single sets of tires--costing the consumer more.

And, then the days of 50,000 mile high performance tires is over. All of these low profile tires good for 168 mph will do okay for 15,000 miles or so. They will very often start roaring, or go out of round--no matter if they're rated 500-AA-A.

I guess which new tire you purchase will depend on your pocketbook. I have purchased 15 tires in last 15 months, and have used up my tire replacement budget. My Lexus is already needing new shoes--after 25,000 miles--on large Goodyear GT 18" tires.

It's almost like you need to setup a special tire savings account. These are difficult decisions.

Old 01-09-2012, 03:44 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Bamaman
The days of going into a tire dealer on Saturday morning to buy a new set of tires is over. With hundreds of different sizes, the tires have to be warehoused at giant tire distributers and ordered in. How do you say, "Can you come back tomorrow?" Dealers don't get volume discounts on single sets of tires--costing the consumer more.
I bought all 4 P Zero's with an alignment at NTB for under $600 out the door (18" tires) in June of 2011. Have you called your local tire chains?

Old 01-09-2012, 06:49 PM
Banned
Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

I replaced mine with the same Continentals that came on it. I am happy with them.

Old 01-09-2012, 07:48 PM
Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

I run Continental Extreme Contact DWS. Quiet and responsive. I Like'em....

Old 01-10-2012, 02:06 AM
Received 46 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by donch61
I run Continental Extreme Contact DWS. Quiet and responsive. I Like'em....
I ran those in 18"s on my XJ8 too.. nice tire.

But on the STR I used Michelins...

Old 01-10-2012, 05:41 AM
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Have been running Michelin Pilot Sport A/S for about 10,000 miles. Very nice tire in both dry and wet. Don't drive the car in snow so I can't comment on winter performance. Much better handling and grip than the Michelin MXM's that came on the car. No appreciable wear at 10,000 miles but who knows, maybe wear will accelerate quickly going forward. It is, after all, a Y-rated tire. Would definitely buy again, and my independent repair shop pretty much matched Tirerack prices when shipping and mounting were figured in... about $1,000 out the door.

Old 01-10-2012, 09:55 AM
Banned
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I'm with mosesbotbol on this one-I bought the Pirelli P-Zero Nero tires this past summer. They are awesome! (same day service at OKC Discount Tire SW 3rd, rebate received, free lifetime rotate and re-balance, good coffee)

Old 01-12-2012, 01:41 PM

Great advice! I guess one wants it all; quiet, tight handling, and 40k miles and a good price!

The interesting discovery is most brands mentioned are similar in attributes with Michelin by far the pricyist. I'll likely go with the Pirelli Zero Nero unless a super deal on the Michelin Pilots presents itself!

Thanks for all the advice.

Old 01-12-2012, 02:44 PM
Veteran Member

NTB has an offer of buy two get two free when getting their 1 year alignment deal. Sounds like a good one.

I am amazed how well my Jag has kept its alignment, barely needed an adjustment when I replaced all four tires.

The following users liked this post:
equicor (01-21-2012)
Old 01-21-2012, 10:47 PM

Well, it ended up being the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus! Considering that it is rated as a 45K tire and I only received 21K, I was very leary. In the end however the tires did grip the road well, handled supurbly and gave off low road noise.

After Discount Tire showed me that the outside edges were worn down below safe, I realized my alignment was really the big issue! She's going in Tuesday for the first 4 Wheel Alignment in over 2 years.

Thanks for all the great advice.

Old 01-22-2012, 12:45 AM
Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

Re the "flat spotting", it is my understanding this is a problem which is common with rayon belting in tyres. I also wonder if temperature ranges have something to do with it. We suffer only 2 - 4 weeks of winter here, when the overnight temp gets down to 8 to 10 degrees (at which point we all think we have been poisoned), and the days then get back up to around 17 to 18. After a couple of weeks of shivering, we're back into the 20's, so I haven't heard much about the problem here. Inland could be different: they do get frosts once you get up on the range & about 400k inland it can get down to about -4.

The ex's XC70 got about 60,000 on Pirelli Scorpions, I got about 100,000 on the original Michelin 4X4's on the Rangie, but Kumho Ventures that I put on as replacements (secondhand, off another vehicle but that is another story) will barely make half that. I have to say that they have not been a bad tyre, and actually had one more sidewall ply than the Michies. They were a little stiffer, I guess because of that (both are 65's). The Michelins were of French manufacture, and something I have been told is that the country of manufacture can make a huge difference to the life of the tyre. I've just started enquiring and researching this subject again, as I'm going to need new boots on the Rangie within about 10,000kms.

One piece of advice I will throw in here is, the best 'bang for your buck' can often be the more expensive item. I have hand made leather shoes that I paid $83 a pair for in 1983, and have had two lots of 'Topys' half sole covers (the heels have been repaired more often), because my feet have outgrown them I'm about to give them to charity. The point is, had I bought cheap shoes for $30 back then, I would have been lucky to get two seasons out of them. My shoes owe me about $3 a year, and have been wonderfully comfortable.

Be aware, all you 'old coots' like me, when you get close to 60, your feet start to get bigger again!!

Old 01-29-2012, 04:46 PM
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Pirelli Pzeros are a nice option

See this posting;
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...xj8-vdp-58541/