XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Best X350 Scanner?? (for C codes, etc)

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2016 | 04:47 PM
Veteran Member

I was hoping that reloading the VXDIAG software would allow 2 days of use.

However even after uninstalling everything I could find and reloading the software it still came up with a message about "time and date" have been altered blah blah blah.

I dont want to re-install both the operating system and the VXDIAG software every time I want to use the kit!!!

The seller emailed me a video on how to install. On that video there was an app that is supposed to "freeze" time on a computer.

I did not get that app on any of the DVDs and stated that to the seller who as yet has not responded.

I have researched all the ways to disable time in Windows 7 and although it seems possible none of the ways mentioned work.

So for $86 I have ordered another British Diagnostics Mongoose cable. If it lasts a year, like the last one, I can live with that.

Old 08-23-2016 | 03:24 PM

I am late to this thread, but I believe my i930 reads 21 different Jag specific modules in my 06SV8 plus the OBDII codes, and it will clear any codes in either Jaguar or OBDII mode. As far as I know it will not set any parameters, but that is probably best for me so I don't screw something up.

The one thing I do not like about it so far is the spikes that occur both up and down in the graphing function; the scale of the graph expands to cover the spikes so it reduces any meaningful variation to an essentially straight line and becomes useless for the function you are trying to view. Otherwise it is easy to use and inexpensive enough to keep in the glove compartment. I sometimes wish I had sprung for the larger screen unit, but the basic i930 works OK for my needs (unless the big screen unit graphs without the spikes)

The following 4 users liked this post by philwarner:
AD2014 (08-26-2016), Don B (08-23-2016), pkoko (01-11-2017), Sean W (08-23-2016)
Old 08-23-2016 | 04:44 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by philwarner
I am late to this thread, but I believe my i930 reads 21 different Jag specific modules in my 06SV8 plus the OBDII codes, and it will clear any codes in either Jaguar or OBDII mode. As far as I know it will not set any parameters, but that is probably best for me so I don't screw something up.

The one thing I do not like about it so far is the spikes that occur both up and down in the graphing function; the scale of the graph expands to cover the spikes so it reduces any meaningful variation to an essentially straight line and becomes useless for the function you are trying to view. Otherwise it is easy to use and inexpensive enough to keep in the glove compartment. I sometimes wish I had sprung for the larger screen unit, but the basic i930 works OK for my needs (unless the big screen unit graphs without the spikes)
Phil, you have a mechanics skill set, so others understand that you're a true DIYer and if it meets your needs, it will probably satisfy the majority of folks on this forum

The following 2 users liked this post by Sean W:
Don B (08-23-2016), philwarner (08-25-2016)
Old 08-24-2016 | 12:11 AM
Veteran Member

i have been holding back on posting here , as i have never plugged my i930 in to a xj-anything. and was surprised at cambos misfortunate experience with the device . but i will add my experiences with the device so far .
i have however used it many times on my 03 STR and my friend 03 XKR . i love the live graph feature . and the fact you can watch all the sensors numerically all at once.
it reads all 22 modules on the str and 18 on the xkr . but will not communicate with some modules when in certain modes such as manual scan . also will not scan ECM on both cars for dtc's . but according to the icarsoft so called "engineer" it needs to be cleared and reloaded with OBD2 software for this , that will make it read any make of cars ECM
and that then means it will only do ECM . until reloaded with JLR software
and will not clear some codes that it has successfully pulled . it read and reset codes on these modules for me so far. ABS. radio , climate for blend doors , headlights adjusters , mirrors . and it told me which corner to go to to find a CATS wiring fault .
the CATS one was a god send broken wire in the xkr rear strut tower . non visible .

The following 3 users liked this post by Datsports:
AD2014 (08-26-2016), Cambo (08-26-2016), Don B (08-24-2016)
Old 08-25-2016 | 02:51 PM
Default skill set needed?

Originally Posted by Sean W
Phil, you have a mechanics skill set, so others understand that you're a true DIYer and if it meets your needs, it will probably satisfy the majority of folks on this forum
Thanks for the compliment, Sean, but you seem to have more confidence in my skill set than my own wife. Perhaps I need a better husband's skill set, although she does often say, "just do it yourself."

Old 08-25-2016 | 06:54 PM
Veteran Member

Fair enough but you could ask her if she knows anyone else who can remove a canooter valve from an 69 Olds Delta and retrofit it to the Jaguar muffler bearing. All good things take time and these cars are complex.

Of course, if she's anything like my wife, you may be relegated to the couch for the night.

Old 10-14-2016 | 05:31 PM

My experience with devices for Jaguar began in August2012 with a cloned Mongoose and Chinese software and an old Dell D520 with Windows XP Pro. It sort of worked, but I decided in Sept 2012 to buy software from the UK, I think it is a real Jaguar DVD 130,Jaguar Part no JLR 11 22_97 30E,issued 08/2012.

This set up is still working---before I use it I reset the computer date to 30Aug2012. It works in SDD for the 2004 XJ and requires a switch to IDS for the 2004 S-Type.

I then acquired an Acer Aspire1,tiny with a 10"screen,with Windows7 Home and loaded the previously mentioned IDS/SDD software. Originally it would not switch from SSD to IDS when used with my S-Type.

Then I decided to buy a clone Mongoose Pro and when I used the Drew driver it started to work in IDS with the S-Type.

Over the past year I had not used either computer or gateway device on either car, so a couple of weeks ago I thought I should check the computers out----it turned out that my Dell D520 was "dead" it would not boot up.

So I went out and bought a used Dell D630 with XP Pro for $50,set the date to 20Aug2012 and loaded up the software. It works, as described above ,on both cars.

I have never attempted to update or reprogram modules, so I was somewhat concerned when I read about some of the troubles people have had attempting to update or reprogram.

So I went out and found a VCM Model#078-00496 M, with cables H417 and V349 (at no cost--don't ask!)
I have just finished trying it out on both my computers and cars and it works fine as far as I have tried. My cars were up to date as far as 8Aug2012 updates so I still have not tried to update either car.

Both computers are "dedicated" to IDS/SDD----no added software and no internet connection ever ever ever.

Last edited by Six Rotors; 10-14-2016 at 05:34 PM. Reason: last comment
The following users liked this post:
Sean W (10-14-2016)
Old 10-14-2016 | 10:11 PM

Originally Posted by Six Rotors
Then I decided to buy a clone Mongoose Pro and when I used the Drew driver it started to work in IDS with the S-Type.

So I went out and found a VCM Model#078-00496 M, with cables H417 and V349 (at no cost--don't ask!)
I have just finished trying it out on both my computers and cars and it works fine as far as I have tried. My cars were up to date as far as 8Aug2012 updates so I still have not tried to update either car.
What! Why don't I ever have that sort of luck?!?! Congratulations though.

Now you have a genuine VCM, throw the Mongoose Clone in the bin!

Old 10-15-2016 | 05:37 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Six Rotors
My experience with devices for Jaguar began in August2012 with a cloned Mongoose and Chinese software and an old Dell D520 with Windows XP Pro. It sort of worked, but I decided in Sept 2012 to buy software from the UK, I think it is a real Jaguar DVD 130,Jaguar Part no JLR 11 22_97 30E,issued 08/2012.

This set up is still working---before I use it I reset the computer date to 30Aug2012. It works in SDD for the 2004 XJ and requires a switch to IDS for the 2004 S-Type.

I then acquired an Acer Aspire1,tiny with a 10"screen,with Windows7 Home and loaded the previously mentioned IDS/SDD software. Originally it would not switch from SSD to IDS when used with my S-Type.

Over the past year I had not used either computer or gateway device on either car, so a couple of weeks ago I thought I should check the computers out----it turned out that my Dell D520 was "dead" it would not boot up.

So I went out and bought a used Dell D630 with XP Pro for $50,set the date to 20Aug2012 and loaded up the software. It works, as described above ,on both cars.

I have never attempted to update or reprogram modules, so I was somewhat concerned when I read about some of the troubles people have had attempting to update or reprogram.

Both computers are "dedicated" to IDS/SDD----no added software and no internet connection ever ever ever.
Six Rotors,
You went through exactly the same way of thinking than myself.
I had first purchased a chinese clone Mongoose and a v131.03 software in UK installed on a dedicated laptop with XP Pro, clock blocked on August 2012 and no internet.
Worked very well fcodes reading, but...
After reading the warnings and advices here and there about using a clone Mongoose, especially here https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...aution-164675/ I was scared using that Mongoose for any reprogramming, so I bit the bullet and acquired a genuine VCM.
I am very happy of my purchase and now confident
Getting it for free, you are a lucky man!

Old 10-16-2016 | 06:51 AM
Veteran Member

paydase you state "clock blocked on August 2012" how did you do that?

Old 10-16-2016 | 07:20 AM
Veteran Member

jackra,
Hope this (from Mongoose V134 install) helps:

FIXING THE CLOCK

Assuming you run SDD only on your laptop or in a Virtual Machine (if not, skip this section): If want to be sure the software does not stop working or start to ask for updates later, fix the date of your PC.
You can do it manually everytime you start SDD, but that's easily forgotten. With a small .bat file it's easily automated:

Goto Startmenu - search and start notepad.exe: and write only two lines:

@ECHO OFF
DATE 08-08-12

Save the file to the desktop and name it Date.bat. Note that you need to save it as "all files", otherwise you end up with a autoexec.bat.txt.
If you do, just rename it. If you want another date: the format is MM-DD-YY.
Next open Start Menu - All programs, rightclick on startup and choose explore.
Drag the autoexec.bat file to the startup folder and close explorer.
Check if the file is in startup now. If it is, open it.
You should see a black window open and close very fast. Hover over your
desktop clock desktop clock
to make sure it's saying august 8 2012 now.

The following 5 users liked this post by paydase:
abonano (10-16-2016), Don B (01-11-2017), jackra_1 (10-23-2016), Sean W (10-16-2016), Six Rotors (10-23-2016)
Old 10-22-2016 | 10:48 PM
Default ICarsoft I930 doesn't work on my 2004 XJ8

I purchased a new ICarsoft i930 about 6 months age. Unfortunately, it will not read the ECM on my 2004 XJ8. Tech support has been useless. She keeps promising to have an engineer fix the problem, "but they are busy now" and tells me I should be patient. This has been going on for two months.

I asked if I could return the unit to them and she basically ignored me; she didn't even address the issue in her return email.

Does anyone here have experience with this model?

Thanks,

Old 10-23-2016 | 12:47 AM

Yeah I bought an i930, also would not read the PCM in my 2004-build XJR.

Seems to be a common problem with these things, apparently you can scan with the generic OBD2 setting and it will read the PCM, can't remember if it actually did with mine. But it's kind of stupid that it doesn't read it when you go in to the Jaguar specific scanning...

Anyhow I sold the i930 to another guy who found it more useful than I did...

Old 10-23-2016 | 07:18 AM
Veteran Member
Smile

Launch, C reader VII+, a friend of mine let me use, seems to do a great job. Reads way more info than i understand, or know what to do with at this time, but will try to learn just what it all means, & what all it will do.He bought a way more expensive one, & will sell this loaned one to me, at a discounted price, if i want it.

Old 10-23-2016 | 08:26 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by paydase
jackra,

FIXING THE CLOCK

Assuming you run SDD only on your laptop or in a Virtual Machine (if not, skip this section): If want to be sure the software does not stop working or start to ask for updates later, fix the date of your PC.
You can do it manually everytime you start SDD, but that's easily forgotten. With a small .bat file it's easily automated:

@ECHO OFF
DATE 08-08-12

Save the file to the desktop and name it Date.bat. Note that you need to save it as "all files", otherwise you end up with a autoexec.bat.txt.
You should see a black window open and close very fast. Hover over your desktop clock to make sure it's saying august 8 2012 now.
I do run on a dedicated laptop with nothing else other than SDD on it.

So your information here is extremely useful paydase. Thank you.

Old 10-23-2016 | 09:29 AM

Originally Posted by paydase
jackra,

FIXING THE CLOCK

@ECHO OFF
DATE 08-08-12

You should see a black window open and close very fast. Hover over your desktop clock to make sure it's saying august 8 2012 now.
Thanks for the above --I have now automated the date on the computers running DVD-SSD 130 to 30Aug2012.Both are also set up to connect to the cars with VCM, Mongoose and Mongoose Pro.

I now have IDSv118.5 running on my Dell D520,courtesy of Mr Cameron(Cambo) and connecting with VCM.

Old 01-11-2017 | 10:01 AM

I am a little late to the party but how much is Topix subscription to legitimately use SSD?

Old 01-11-2017 | 11:42 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by pkoko
I am a little late to the party but how much is Topix subscription to legitimately use SSD?
Too much by far if you're not a pro needing it on a regular basis.
AFAIK, hundreds of bucks for the first day, then decreasing the more you use it, up to about a grand for one year

The following 2 users liked this post by paydase:
Don B (01-11-2017), pkoko (01-11-2017)
Old 12-07-2019 | 03:47 AM

Much, much more "late to the party" but can anybody recommend the cheapest scanner/setup that can read and clear the Transmission adaptation values.

Old 12-07-2019 | 07:35 AM
Veteran Member

The icarsoft i930 is about the least expensive Jaguar specific reader i'm aware of.
Will not read the engine module on my 04 XJ8, but it reads the other modules.
As well as the engine modules on later model Jaguars, like my 07 VDP
All emission information is available to read.
There is another more expensive model from them you might want to think about, think it does more .

Quick Reply: Best X350 Scanner?? (for C codes, etc)