XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Best X350 Scanner?? (for C codes, etc)

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2019, 08:04 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,756 Likes on 1,327 Posts

Originally Posted by brokic
Much, much more "late to the party" but can anybody recommend the cheapest scanner/setup that can read and clear the Transmission adaptation values.
ICarsoft will not do that.

The cheapest tool as far as I am aware is an offline version of JLR SDD.

Old 12-07-2019, 08:55 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Jackra_1
Does that mean a whole setup: laptop with SDD software and a mongoose (or similar) cable?
Do you know is there anywhere a whole "plug and play" setup available for purchase and at what price?
The reason I am asking is because the official Jaguar distributor in Kuwait was unable to access my 2004 Jaguar XJR's TCM to read/clear the transmission adaptations with the explanation that their SDD is "too new" that it is beyond reading the old Jaguar models TCMs?!

Old 12-07-2019, 08:58 AM
Veteran Member
Received 801 Likes on 673 Posts

Was not aware exactly what he was asking about we needed the dealer level tool, that is what i'm looking to acquire now as the ones i have are enough.

Old 12-07-2019, 09:25 AM

Just a bit of a background:
The only "authorized" ZF service centre in the country (a city actually) can do do all the mechanical repairs but they don't own any transmission reading/reprogramming capabilities, let alone hydraulic testing equipment for valve bodies etc..
This is a (too rich) country with zero repair/maintenance culture related to cars or anything else, for that matter - 99% of the cars are no older than their warranty period (that's how I got my Jag dirt cheap four years ago).
For the last six months I've been experiencing extensive transmission slipping, which got bad to the point of not being able to go beyond 2000 rpm, and I've have already changed a torque converter, rebuilt the transmission, replaced valve body solenoids - without being able to read and/or clear the adaptations after any of these operations.
So, I was hoping that reading/clearing the transmission adaptations wasn't exclusively the "dealer level" and would be available on a bit more expensive scanner than my ELM327 bluetooth adapter and Torque Pro on my Android phone, but apparently not.

Last edited by brokic; 12-07-2019 at 09:31 AM.
Old 12-07-2019, 09:35 AM
Veteran Member

Thanks Jackra_1
Does that mean a whole setup: laptop with SDD software and a mongoose (or similar) cable?
Do you know is there anywhere a whole "plug and play" setup available for purchase and at what price?
The reason I am asking is because the official Jaguar distributor in Kuwait was unable to access my 2004 Jaguar XJR's TCM to read/clear the transmission adaptations with the explanation that their SDD is "too new" that it is beyond reading the old Jaguar models TCMs?!
I am in the process of rebuilding my 2005 XJR transmission. Still have to drop it.

I have v130 and just purchased V131 of JLR SDD. I run both on different laptops dedicated to this software. Picked up the laptops dirt cheap and was lucky a couple of years ago to pick up a genuine pro Mongoose cable.

The most expensive item was a battery support device.

I will have to run transmission adaptions when I am finished.

Old 12-07-2019, 09:43 AM

I have just visited the Drew Technologies web site and they do list MongoosePro cables for various car manufacturers, but none of them is for Jaguar.
Which one do you use?

Old 12-07-2019, 09:56 AM
Veteran Member

I have just visited the Drew Technologies web site and they do list MongoosePro cables for various car manufacturers, but none of them is for Jaguar.
Which one do you use?
I bought mine from Drew Tech at least three years ago and it is specifically for Jaguar and Landrover.

V131 of JLR SDD that I purchased recently from the UK has separate drivers for a genuine Mongoose cable and a clone mongoose cable.

The first cable I used years ago was a clone and it failed after a year with little use. Some people have better luck others not so much.

The following users liked this post:
Don B (12-07-2019)
Old 12-07-2019, 06:51 PM
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Wingrider
The icarsoft i930 is about the least expensive Jaguar specific reader i'm aware of.
Will not read the engine module on my 04 XJ8, but it reads the other modules.
As well as the engine modules on later model Jaguars, like my 07 VDP
All emission information is available to read.
There is another more expensive model from them you might want to think about, think it does more .
Like Wingrider, I have an iCarsoft i930 that will not read the ECM, but all the other modules, including the transmission module [TCM], work to the best of my knowledge. I am not happy with it, because of the ECM issue -- and the complete lack of any kind of support from iCarsoft (see my earlier post in 2016) and I do not recommend you buy one. However, I have run the TCM test many times with no issues and will lend you mine if you want to try it before making a decision. You would need to send me a fedex or ups tag and return it after you've tried it.

You might want to contact them directly--they did answer the phone when I called--and maybe they'll give you a tech to talk to since you are a potential buyer.

Best of luck,
Dan

Old 12-07-2019, 10:24 PM
Veteran Member
Received 256 Likes on 203 Posts
Default Is the ECM issue only 2004?

Originally Posted by Dan.B
Like Wingrider, I have an iCarsoft i930 that will not read the ECM, but all the other modules, including the transmission module [TCM], work Dan
Have can read ECM codes with my i930 on a 2096 MY.

Old 12-08-2019, 07:13 AM
Veteran Member

The i930 will read your TCM codes and will clear all but "hard" codes. It will not reset "adaptations" or how the solenoids function.
Which is necessary after any kind of rebuild.

If the faults are still there the codes will come back.

Setting up jlr sdd for a session is a pita so just for reading codes I always use the i930. Also clearing a code after a simple repair.

Old 12-08-2019, 07:48 AM

Thank you all for the explanations given, I'll have to weigh all the options available and make a decision as to what to go for.
Also thanks to Dan for his generous offer, but I'll have to pass as shipping costs to Kuwait and back would be probably higher than the price of i930.
The good new is that today I have found an indie Jaguar mechanic here who's got the Autologic device!!!
The bloke speaks few words of English but was able to clear my transmission adaptations in 15 minutes, what a relief!
The bad news is that even after going through the calibration driving routine, the transmission hadn't changed its misbehaving, the root of which probably lay in the high lean LTFTs , damaged all 4 O2 sensor and throttle body electrical connectors (some of them were being held in place by silicone sealant!), so I need to sort all that out before trying again.
I was told that you can't change O2 sensor electrical connectors, so reckon I'll have to buy all 4 of them. As for the throttle body connectors these are available online from multiple vendors.
Anyway, not go beyond the topic of this thread, I'll report back when I sort out the electrical connector issues.

Old 12-08-2019, 02:46 PM
Received 117 Likes on 72 Posts

I have both i930 and Carsoft Professional Multi-System Auto Diagnostic Tool LR V2.0 and both read C Codes. Carsoft Professional Multi-System Auto Diagnostic Tool LR V2.0 is hand down the winner. It has larger screen and much easier to use interface. Every Jaguar owner should have a Carsoft Professional Multi-System Auto Diagnostic Tool LR V2.0 in teh Jas's club compartment. I paid $149.00.

Old 12-08-2019, 03:24 PM
Veteran Member
Default iCarsoft LRJ II

Originally Posted by annamiata
I have both i930 and Carsoft Professional Multi-System Auto Diagnostic Tool LR V2.0 and both read C Codes. Carsoft Professional Multi-System Auto Diagnostic Tool LR V2.0 is hand down the winner. It has larger screen and much easier to use interface. Every Jaguar owner should have a Carsoft Professional Multi-System Auto Diagnostic Tool LR V2.0 in teh Jas's club compartment. I paid $149.00.
is this the same as the LEII?

Old 12-08-2019, 08:07 PM
Received 185 Likes on 138 Posts

Looking through this thread, and I realise that it dates back a few years, most members seem to be thinking of laptops or hand held scanners.
My son lent me an OBDII reader he bought from China for about $20 that communicates with a smart phone via WiFi. You install the app on your phone (less than $10) and it provides error code reading, error code clearing, real time values of virtually everything, a configurable dashboard of gauges (gages), graphing facilities, and much more. It had no problem recognising my car, and you can also watch the progress of the tests that are done by the ecu as the car warms up.The main thing it can't do is update and reflash modules.
After using my son's device, I bought my own scanner, about the same price ($20).
I have been getting P0420 and P0430 errors, and this setup allows me to clear them and diagnose faults. The reader is a bit bigger than a matchbox, and I guess most people can rig up a smartphone mounting.
The app I used is Torque, and it is on Android and Apple stores.

The device I bought.

Old 12-09-2019, 07:39 AM
Veteran Member

It reads "standard" ODB ll codes and will not see many Jaguar specific codes.

I have one with Torque Pro that shows the gauges on my head unit with a converter that allows me to do that.

Don B (12-09-2019)
Old 12-10-2019, 05:36 AM
Veteran Member
Default Is iCarsofy LR - II better than i930

I saw the recommendation for the iCarsoft LR - II. Read the description and cannot tell if it does more than my i930. I understand the larger screen and more user friendly operation, but will it provide better functionality than the 930? I have a friend with a system that can set ride height and he can use it reliabibly. I do not know enough to reprogram.
As a thumbs up to iCarsoft, I tried to update the software on the i930 and an ancient 910 picked up for the wife’s 335i. Barnett has replied back twice with instructions. The 910 is so old it came with a CD.
Both interfaces are clunky, the 910 is worse. But it reads and resets codes. I have owned for a long time and it still works fine.

Old 12-10-2019, 09:54 AM
Veteran Member

The only complaint about my i930 is its failure to access the engine module on my 04 XJ8.
The new LR2 appears to communicate with some modules, brakes is one, to operate them.
But says if mfg before 05, contact them, so i,m guessing it still cannot read the 04 engine module.
Well two complaints, they never answered the phone, or answered my emails to upgrade my i930.

Last edited by Wingrider; 12-10-2019 at 09:59 AM.
Old 12-10-2019, 10:34 AM

I930 has many issues, reported by many Jaguar owners. My did not read engine module nor OBII standard code. I initially bought i930 it to diagnose suspension issue and air bags issues; and it did identified all codes for air suspension and air bag. I found out months later that it did not read OBII and engine module. I updated firmware and it did not fix issue.

Carsoft Professional Multi-System Auto Diagnostic Tool LR V2.0 has a larger screen and it great for viewing live data as well.

Amazon Amazon

I believe that Jaguar engine module used the universal error codes like every other vehicle that compatibles with OBII standard. It did reads all code form rear engine module for fuel pump, light etc.

Last edited by annamiata; 12-10-2019 at 10:38 AM.
Old 12-10-2019, 01:09 PM
Veteran Member

It reads, as well as clears all the check engine lights, as any scanner will.
But number of run cycles & others are readable on my 07, but not on the 04.

Old 12-16-2019, 02:52 PM

I930 has many issues, reported by many Jaguar owners. My did not read engine module nor OBII standard code. I initially bought i930 it to diagnose suspension issue and air bags issues; and it did identified all codes for air suspension and air bag. I found out months later that it did not read OBII and engine module. I updated firmware and it did not fix issue.

Carsoft Professional Multi-System Auto Diagnostic Tool LR V2.0 has a larger screen and it great for viewing live data as well.

Amazon Amazon
Amazon Amazon

I believe that Jaguar engine module used the universal error codes like every other vehicle that compatibles with OBII standard. It did reads all code form rear engine module for fuel pump, light etc.

I played around with the Carsoft Professional Multi-System Auto Diagnostic Tool LR V2.0 and it has sub menu showing many detail status.For example, under air suspension status, it shown detail live status of each wheel heights, valves of compressor, solenoid, actual air pressure, and may other details.

Don B (12-16-2019)

Quick Reply: Best X350 Scanner?? (for C codes, etc)