XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Bloom Off The Rose ?

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2009, 08:31 AM
Banned
Received 256 Likes on 218 Posts
Talking Bloom Off The Rose ?

Well I've had my 44,000 mile 05 XJR for about 3 weeks now and I still love the car but the bitch maybe don't love me so much.

Driving it home over mostly freeways I noticed a steering wheel shake at 40 t0 50 mph. I took it in for a road force wheel balance and they discovered a bent right rear mag wheel. Got that fixed for $110 for a total expense so far of $160. Felt lucky. Shimmie much improved but not quite gone.

Took the car to Orlando and drove it in heavy stop and go traffic for 15 miles. Well heat soaked as we say. Serious steering wheel shake developed on low speed braking. Took car to brake shop. Right front rotor badly warped and not salvagable. Left front rotor good but too thin to be resurfaced again. Had front brakes done, new discs, pads and top quality parts. $950. Not feeling the love.

Brake tech took car for test drive. Brakes now first class. He noted, as did I, the slight steering wheel shake at 40 mph is still there and cupping just starting in on new front tires. He recommended a wheel allignment at dealer. I now have a pretty good idea that the bent mag wheel occured with the wheel at the right front. Wife does not know how much money I have dropped on this hussie so far. I'm getting nervous in the service.

Called my local Jag dealer and got a quite of $255 for wheel allignment. I'm informed they are the only qualified vendor for this, what with air suspension and all. Not as bad as I expected if it cures the shimmie and stops the cupping. So why am I still so worried?

I,m sure this beautifull feline will love me if I only spend enough money on her. I,ll keep you posted.

Old 11-11-2009, 09:43 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,272 Likes on 698 Posts

I have an 05 VDP and just recently had my alignment done at Jaguar of Tampa for about $100. Seems odd that the "R" model would be so much more. Maybe call them to compare prices?

Badmouthing your own car is just bad karma.

Old 11-11-2009, 10:21 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,202 Likes on 933 Posts

I wonder if the wheels are already cupped if you'll ever get a flat ride. You may have to swap out the fron tires...

One of our forum sponsors "Treadpot" has some good prices.

Old 11-11-2009, 02:14 PM
Banned

Rothwell,

Thanks for the tip. I'll call Jag of Tampa and get a quote. It's only 2 hrs away and I do love an excuse to drive the car. Besides, thats where it grew up and where I bought it.

I think I understand exactly what happened to the car. While for sale on their lot they used it as a loaner to miscs. Jag owners in for service and I'm sure some of these boys got carried away with an XJR under their *** and pranged the front wheel in a stunt. That may explain the bent wheel which was promptly moved to the rear and the misaligned front end as well. I did find a number of loaner contracts stuffed around in the car.

It is bad karma to bad mouth a car but I still love this beautifull b----!

Last edited by user 2029223; 11-11-2009 at 08:09 PM. Reason: typos
Old 11-11-2009, 03:05 PM
Veteran member
Received 1,151 Likes on 753 Posts

I'd sure like to see your car tarheal. Where's the photo gallery for her?

Good luck on getting her straightened out. (literally)

Old 11-12-2009, 07:15 PM
Banned

Well it was a mildly interesting day in the persuit of a perfect ride for the XJR. I called Jag Tampa and got a quote of $150 for a front end allignment ($100 less than Collier Jag Orlando). They were also able to tell me that an allignment was performed on the car this past May.

Service writer dude also stated that in his experience XJR tires tend to wear on the inside edge as allignment drifts out of spec. Never heard that one before. My tire cupping/feathering is on the outside edges.

Also, it was a cold day for a central FL morning at 65 degrees F and the car drove perfectly with no stearing wheel issues of any kind. Temp. and soft rubber V rated tires are the only variables I can think of.

So I guess I'll go to Tampa for the wheel allignment next week. I was looking for an excuse to get the cat out on the open road anyway and it's a 2 1/2 hr trip. Yee Ha!

Happyness is being retired and tooling around central FL in your XJR in the Winter with half a brain.

I'll let you know how it turns out.

Old 11-16-2009, 08:58 AM
Banned

Well I'm off to Tampa tomorrow, Tues, to get the XJR front end allignment in my quest to get rid of a steering wheel shimmie at 40 to 50 mph. I don't mind telling you that after reading some of the other threads on this subject my hair is standing on end.

Don't assume the worst, don't borrow trouble and keep a positive attitude. That's what I keep telling myself. I'ts hard not to be obsessive when know what the car is capable of.

Old 11-18-2009, 01:08 PM
Banned

Okay. Here is the last chapter of my quest for the perfect ride, I took the XJR to Tampa for a front end allignment. Done in 1 hr. No commo with tech as they keep them and their work area behind closed doors. Not even a window to peek through. Returned home , 75 miles, no change, dam wheel shimmie still there at 40/50 mph.

Today. Took car back to my tire shop and told them I was dissatisified with road force bal work and would they look into it? Lucked out. Some high level mgr. was there and he put 3 guys on it *** h---- and elbows.

They reballanced all tires with their top hand, repositioned 1 tire on the rim to minimize weight required to bal. let me watch entire operation.

They put my newer Falkens on rear. Stated problem in steering wheel was most likely from the front tires and Falkens get no respect.

Moved the 50% Perellis to the front and gave me the car. All at no add'l. charge.

Problem persists, but is so minimal that I'm not going to worry about it anymore. Perfection is too expensive. Got quote on OE spec tires for when I'm ready. Narrowly avoided heart attack.

This tire company, Boulevard Tire Center in Mt Dora, FL, has done all my work for past 15 years and 7 vehicles. Rest assured they will continue to get my business.

This whole process has been a big pain in the *** from the start but the car is worth it. What a pure pleasure it is to look at. sit in and drive.

Old 12-12-2009, 08:45 PM
Banned

Further to the story, my 05 XJR is detailed and all sorted out. The very slight steering wheel shake left after road force balancing and tire rotation went away on its own after about 100 miles . The 50% Pirellis on the front are noisier than I'd like, much more so than the new Falkens now on the rear. The ride and handeling of this beauty is nearly prefect.

I did replace the XJR wheel centers with a set of "three" I got off a 99XJ8. They have a grey background that exactly matches my paint and a chrome growler. The standard XJR centers were worn and faded and never did look so hot.

If anybody has a single wheel center of grey with the chrone growler I'd like to buy it.