XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Blue tooth

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2012, 08:30 AM
Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts
Default Blue tooth

My phone connects great with my 07 XJ8, thats not the problem. The problem is my computer room is along side of the driveway and the car is right out side. When I get a incomming call my phone will ring once and then the car will take over making my phone inoperable. I have to go to the other side of the house to use my phone. Is there anyway to disconnect blue tooth when the car is turned off?

Old 05-17-2012, 12:36 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,361 Likes on 1,478 Posts

Originally Posted by Clamdigger
My phone connects great with my 07 XJ8, thats not the problem. The problem is my computer room is along side of the driveway and the car is right out side. When I get a incomming call my phone will ring once and then the car will take over making my phone inoperable. I have to go to the other side of the house to use my phone. Is there anyway to disconnect blue tooth when the car is turned off?
If the car is off, there is no way it should connect to your phone...

Old 05-17-2012, 01:35 PM
Veteran Member
Received 535 Likes on 337 Posts

Unfortunately not true. I believe this is a "feature". It mentions this in the manual. I am at work but I'll look it up when I get home tonight.

I have seen a similar issue, ie even after the car is turned off, when I am inside the house and the car is in the garage (which is built onto the house) I see my bluetooth icon is still blue (active) on my phone and in the phone settings I see the phone is still connected to the car.

I thought it only happened when you were actually on a call and you switched the car off, then the car still held on to the phone bluetooth connection. But once you had hung up on that call, the connection breaks and your phone should be enabled again. However, I rarely get calls (thank goodness) but more often than not I see my phone is still connected to the car when it is off and I am inside the house.

Personally I much preferred the operation of my old Motorola T605 bluetooth kit I had in my '00 XJR...... when you turned the car off the call went back to the phone, so you could pick up your phone and walk away while still on the call without disruption

Old 05-17-2012, 01:36 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by jahummer
If the car is off, there is no way it should connect to your phone...
Unfortunately not true. I believe this is a "feature". It mentions this in the manual. I am at work but I'll look it up when I get home tonight.

I have seen a similar issue, ie even after the car is turned off, when I am inside the house and the car is in the garage (which is built onto the house) I see my bluetooth icon is still blue (active) on my phone and in the phone settings I see the phone is still connected to the car.

I thought it only happened when you were actually on a call and you switched the car off, then the car still held on to the phone bluetooth connection. But once you had hung up on that call, the connection breaks and your phone should be enabled again. However, I rarely get calls (thank goodness) but more often than not I see my phone is still connected to the car when it is off and I am inside the house.

Personally I much preferred the operation of my old Motorola T605 bluetooth kit I had in my '00 XJR...... when you turned the car off the call went back to the phone, so you could pick up your phone and walk away while still on the call without disruption

Old 05-17-2012, 02:10 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Sarc
I thought it only happened when you were actually on a call and you switched the car off, then the car still held on to the phone bluetooth connection. But once you had hung up on that call, the connection breaks and your phone should be enabled again.
This is how mine functions. I can't make another call until I restart the car...

Old 05-17-2012, 03:02 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I suppose you could disable the bluetooth feature on your phone. I only use the bluetooth for connecting in my car and, as it uses up the battery more quickly I always turn bluetooth off on the phone when I come home. I activate it before I go anywhere. Probably a bit more aggravation, but fewer issues that way.

Old 05-18-2012, 06:46 AM
Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts

OK, sounds like this is normal, I have alot worse problems in my life so I guess I'll just live with it, Thanks all

Old 05-18-2012, 12:28 PM
Veteran Member

@clamdigger

I did some experimenting last night...... when I turn the car off, the phone stays connected, whether it's on a call or not. I usually go in to the house and go to my bedroom to get changed...... if I do this I am far enough away from the car and the bluetooth drops off and doesn't reconnect.

If I just stay in the kitchen (reading the mail, having a beer) the phone stays connected because it's still within range of the car.

I would have thought it would make sense to make the car hold the connection, even with the keys out UNTIL there is a drivers door open and close...... seems not

Old 05-18-2012, 12:38 PM
Received 91 Likes on 74 Posts

on my phone, I can select the bluetooth device or the iPhone, tap the screen a couple times, all is well.

Old 05-20-2012, 04:48 PM
Veteran Member

Perhaps there are different versions of the PSE or Blutooth modules?

Old 05-21-2012, 12:42 AM
Received 214 Likes on 133 Posts

I read that there is a 10 minute period that the connection is maintained after the car is turned off.