XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Bluetooth upgraded radio?

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2019, 03:13 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Bluetooth upgraded radio?

I am most likely reading this the wrong way, but if someone could take a look at this link and verify, it appears that Jegs sells factory radios that have been upgraded with either bluetooth or an auxiliary input. The following link has one for an X350, which I found while looking for a bluetooth solution for my 2005 XJR.

https://www.jegs.com/i/A%26A/010/638...gaAlTVEALw_wcB

Now to my understanding, this sort of upgrade would require both hardware and software modifications to the radio which theoretically could be done but I'm sure not for the price at which they have it listed. I am also confused by the description, which may pertain to several models and Jegs just did not remove some of the universal language.

However, if by some miracle this is a real thing, I (and I'm sure many others) would be all over it.

If this is not real, have we established a "best method" of adding bluetooth music and calling to our X350 radios? I used to use an FM transmitter but was never 100% satisfied with that solution and wanted something more factory-looking.

The following users liked this post:
Deepstuff (04-16-2023)
Old 08-14-2019, 03:23 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,274 Likes on 2,391 Posts

I would never have thought to look @ Jegs for any Jaguar parts. They are refurbished with BT added. If I had an XJ I would buy this. Jegs has an excellent reputation. I've purchased and returned many things to them during my Hot Rod building days.

Old 08-14-2019, 04:18 PM
Received 95 Likes on 85 Posts

I suspect they didn't use head unit specific description and it is some generic description. I don't see any Aux jacks on the unit from the picture. If it's real, that price is unbeatable for the added functionality.

Old 08-15-2019, 08:17 AM
Default Solved

Ok I think I figured this out and unfortunately it is not a bluetooth or auxiliary input upgrade, just a factory radio. The manufacturer is 1 Factory Radio and I visited their website to find that the only upgraded bluetooth/aux unit is for the 2002 x-type. All other Jag radios that they offer are just oem refurbs including the one I listed. Sorry to get any hopes up, myself included. Now I guess I have to search for the elusive ACM.

Old 08-15-2019, 12:43 PM
Received 95 Likes on 85 Posts

I have a VenBox that I want to sell, but haven't had a chance to post an ad. PM if you're interested.

Old 08-15-2019, 11:45 PM
Received 216 Likes on 149 Posts

Your Venbox will be gone in 60 seconds. I love mine. Wish I had one for my wife's 2009 RR, but the coding many be different.

Old 08-15-2019, 11:46 PM
Received 216 Likes on 149 Posts

That's still a good deal for a referb head unit.

Old 08-16-2019, 11:29 AM
Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

It looked like an interesting product although a bit strange that they refer to the factory radio but have a photo of the touchscreen which has nothing to do with the audio input/output, the modification would be made to the radio/cd player instead.

I have an aux-in modification I have published here https://sites.google.com/willcoxonline.com/jagdroid-v2/cd-player-aux-in to which a Bluetooth receiver could be added to give Bluetooth capabilities.

Ben

Old 08-16-2019, 12:57 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,274 Likes on 2,391 Posts

Originally Posted by metalmarty
Ok I think I figured this out and unfortunately it is not a bluetooth or auxiliary input upgrade, just a factory radio. The manufacturer is 1 Factory Radio and I visited their website to find that the only upgraded bluetooth/aux unit is for the 2002 x-type. All other Jag radios that they offer are just oem refurbs including the one I listed. Sorry to get any hopes up, myself included. Now I guess I have to search for the elusive ACM.
Did you try contacting them directly?

Old 09-10-2019, 04:00 PM

Just imagine for a moment that there was a service available where you could send off your CD player and it would be upgraded to support Bluetooth audio streaming from a phone or other device (still retaining the ability to play CDs) and was turned round in 1-2 days and sent back to you.
How much would you be prepared to pay for such an upgrade?

Thanks
Ben

SailorSam (09-11-2019)
Old 09-11-2019, 09:28 AM

Originally Posted by Sean W
Did you try contacting them directly?
No, but I found the company website which was quite clear about which units were plain refurbs versus upgraded units. I think they had upgraded units for the x-type.

Old 09-11-2019, 09:48 AM

Originally Posted by benwillcox
Just imagine for a moment that there was a service available where you could send off your CD player and it would be upgraded to support Bluetooth audio streaming from a phone or other device (still retaining the ability to play CDs) and was turned round in 1-2 days and sent back to you.
How much would you be prepared to pay for such an upgrade?

Thanks
Ben
I mean, to be honest you already posted your mod and I'm quite apt at tinkering, so... I probably wouldn't pay for it lol

However, the venbox sold for what, like $400? and it just kinda popped in versus having to remove and live without your radio for a few days... And probably required a few bucks more in parts... so if I personally were to do it I think charging $250-$300 plus shipping could be fair.

If you are considering doing this I may consider paying for it, if I ever figure out my current transmission issue that is.

Deepstuff (04-16-2023)
Old 09-11-2019, 10:41 AM

Originally Posted by metalmarty
I mean, to be honest you already posted your mod and I'm quite apt at tinkering, so... I probably wouldn't pay for it lol

Lol true! It was more a general question to anyone reading the thread really. This would differ from my published mod in that rather than a wired aux in, it would have the Bluetooth module integrated inside, with no wired aux-in connections.

Thanks for the feedback.
Ben

Old 09-12-2019, 09:10 AM

Lol true! It was more a general question to anyone reading the thread really. This would differ from my published mod in that rather than a wired aux in, it would have the Bluetooth module integrated inside, with no wired aux-in connections.

Thanks for the feedback.
Ben
That being said, I think $250 - $300 plus shipping is fair and I would definitely be on board (mostly because I don't really have the time to do it myself and either way you could probably make it more polished). Let me know if you ever start this service and if I decide to keep the car I would be a customer.

Old 11-16-2019, 05:37 PM

Just to update this thread, I have now developed an upgrade for the factory Jaguar radio that adds bluetooth audio streaming. There is information about it on my website here: https://jagdroid-cd.willcoxonline.com/

Regards,
Ben

Old 11-17-2019, 03:57 AM
Received 68 Likes on 59 Posts

Hi Ben,

Thanks for that. I saw that the other day. I've been looking for a way to do this without having to upgrade from my non touchscreen system in order to have the bluetooth music streaming. Do you have a guide on how to do this along with your option to purchase a converted CD player?

Thanks,

Chris

Old 11-17-2019, 04:03 AM

Hi Chris,
The upgrade works on all systems whether they are touchscreen or not, both Alpine or Standard audio. I actually just yesterday added a post about the non-touchscreen upgrade on my Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/jagdroid.org

Ben

EsRay (11-17-2019)
Old 11-17-2019, 08:03 AM
Veteran Member
Received 195 Likes on 152 Posts

Hi Chris,
The upgrade works on all systems whether they are touchscreen or not, both Alpine or Standard audio. I actually just yesterday added a post about the non-touchscreen upgrade on my Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/jagdroid.org

Ben
Ben, probably a stupid question, but can anything be done if you have touchscreen and a cassette player? I am currently listening to music on my 'phone via a connection from its earphone socket (so limited quality) to the aux input in my rear entertainment centre?

Old 11-17-2019, 08:08 AM

You can swap the cassette player with a CD player is the easiest way. You can do a basic aux-in mod on the cassette player but it's not quite as nice a solution. Although your current method of headphone output of the phone to the rear aux-in should give you pretty decent quality, it's what I used to do when I first got my car years ago and seem to remember the most annoying this is that you can only select aux-in from the rear controls themselves, not the drivers seat!

Ben

The following 2 users liked this post by benwillcox:
EsRay (11-18-2019), OldKarz (12-14-2020)
Old 11-18-2019, 05:39 AM
Veteran Member
Received 195 Likes on 152 Posts

Thanks Ben. Please, I will come back to you on this if I end up being here in Dubai longer than the end of next year....

Quick Reply: Bluetooth upgraded radio?