XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

"Boot Open" error but trunk closed fine, motorised latch also works

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2021, 12:10 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default "Boot Open" error but trunk closed fine, motorised latch also works

Hi all,

Running into a frustrating problem with my 2005 XJ VDP - it thinks the trunk is open despite it being closed, and I cannot lock my doors! The motorised latch works fine, trunk release from fob, dashboard button and rear button all work fine and the trunk opens & closes as normal, but no matter what I do the car won't detect that it is closed!

This first happened about a week ago and giving it a little more push when closing got the message to go away, but it just reoccurred today and won't clear no matter how many times I try to close it. Even worse, I can't fully insert my key into the driver door/it won't turn in the lock, so I have no way to lock the car now (global close isn't enabled so I can't just lock manually and roll the windows up)

Any suggestions on what might be wrong? Read that the microswitch might be faulty or misaligned, but the fact that the automatic release still works fine makes me wonder otherwise...

Old 12-31-2021, 05:00 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So, I've fixed the door lock and have been able to lock my car fine, however, today while in traffic, the boot mechanism decided to spuriously activate! I got home, closed it down, and shockingly it detected it as closed again! Fob locking worked, trunk lights came on when it was opened, the whole shebang!! Or so I thought, until I was walking towards my house and then the alarm goes off and I hear the trunk unlock itself with no inputs again

Anybody have suggestions on what to check first here? Alternatively as a temporary fix, where is the connector to the lock motor so I can disconnect it until it's repaired?? I don't mind having to use the key to unlock it in the interim...

Old 12-31-2021, 07:48 PM
Veteran Member
Received 758 Likes on 635 Posts

Have a look in your manual for a boot/trunk lock fuse which you could pull

I have looked at my electronic copy and I can't find one.

The connector to the latch is under the boot lid lining which you need to remove to access.

The fault is likely in the boot latch which you may need to change but they are expensive!

BTW no microswitch in the boot latch but there are contacts which make and break.

Last edited by meirion1; 12-31-2021 at 07:50 PM.