XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Brake Dust Problem

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2011, 07:32 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Brake Dust Problem

I have a problem with some brake dust that won't come off my front wheels. I've gotten most of it off but some is (for lack of a better expression) "cooked" on....I'm open for suggestions as to how I can clean them.
Thanks,
Bill

Old 07-10-2011, 07:36 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,382 Likes on 1,492 Posts

Have you tried wheel polish?

Do you have chrome or painted/clear-coated or polished alloy?

Old 07-11-2011, 10:27 AM

Thanks, Jahummer. I have used the spray on cleaner I normally use and also a brush. Brush was hard enough to take some of it off and yet soft enough not to leave scratches. I have not taken the wheels off. Thought I would inquire here to get some ideas first then take the wheels off for cleaning. I sprayed the cleaner on the front wheels (this is where my problem is) while the wheels were cold (just back it out of the garage and started on them). I rinsed that off and then applied another application, brushed which took a lot of it off. Same cleaner I have been using on my Corvette wheels and does a good job. With the Jaguar the dust came on quick and the weather has been such I just could not get to it as quick as I normally would hence some of it is difficult now...I'm hesitiant to say hard because I think it will come off with the right application. Probably best for me to take a picture of the wheel and post it here so anyone can see what I have.
Bill

Old 07-11-2011, 11:36 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,382 Likes on 1,492 Posts

I suggested cleaner polish because you rub that by hand using a cloth. Also goof off works well. I never had good luck with off the shelf wheel cleaners.

You did not mention what type of finish they have, that is important too.

Old 07-11-2011, 12:25 PM
DB6
ud
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

I agree with Jahummer, a scratch polish works well, also hot soapy water, and mineral spirits ( try a dab on a Qtip first just to be sure).

Old 07-11-2011, 12:51 PM
Banned
Received 256 Likes on 218 Posts

This is interesting. I don't recall ever seeing this kind of problem.

What kind of wheels do you have and what type of brake pad are you using? How often do you wash the wheels?

Old 07-11-2011, 03:20 PM
DB6
ud
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

How often do you wash the wheels?[/QUOTE]

Evidently not enough......

Old 07-11-2011, 03:41 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,456 Likes on 1,952 Posts

De-rusting fluid might work as the dust is probably based on iron in the pads. One can also buy alloy wheel cleaner, (here in the UK at least), which has some acid in it to dissolve brake dust. Citric acid might work as it is not particularly corrosivre compared to the "normal" acids. There is also phosphoric acid too.

Old 07-11-2011, 04:03 PM
Banned
Received 256 Likes on 218 Posts

Are we talking about a recurring problem or a one time accumulation of "something" on the wheels that's hard to remove?

If it's the above, then what we may be dealing with is some stuff you drove through that got stuck to the wheel that is not brake dust.

Old 07-12-2011, 08:18 AM

The wheels are painted (paint is so good they look almost like metal (hats off to Jag for that). I need to post a picture I think. I wash them but what happened this time around was we had so much rain for so long a time I could not get to do them as I normailly would. I did notice this more on the inner part of the rim (an area I couldn't see very well which I had not notice before). I think once I get this resolved I am going to start taking them off from time to time to ensure they stay maintained well. I put the spray wheel cleaner on and power wash them off. Most of it is off the outer rim. Problem is with the front. I don't know what the pads are but I know what I want to replace them with. You have all mentioned some very good ideas here (which is why I came here to ask wanting input). I had thought about using something like a cream polish cleaner and triple or four "0" steel wool to lightly try and take it off....did not want to be agressive by this method at all) or a scotch pad. I didn't think of something like a scratch remover (not had much luck with some of those products on paint-open to suggestions on brand). That may work. The wheels on my Corvette are polished and the design is much easier to clean.
I have taken a picture and will post it. I DO appreciate all the comments and don't want to end the thread until I see what works so I can come back and tell you all. It's a prima '04 and want to ensure I keep it that way (68K miles-would be less but I drive it everyday).
Maybe this discussion will help someone else, too. Could be the feedback you have graciously given me is helping someone also.
Thank you-keep those suggestions coming,
Bill
I'll get a picture up tonight for you. May need some advice on how to do that here (have not done before).

Last edited by majbill; 07-12-2011 at 08:23 AM.
Old 07-12-2011, 09:06 AM
MTW
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I use Armor all hot wheels it takes it right off - I have more dust on the rear rims than on the front ones - go figure (electric parking brake?) had that too with the original Jag pads - just much more dust. The new brake pads are Centric Posi quite simi met and besides to long brake in period - I almost never brake hard - they now work really well.

Old 07-13-2011, 08:48 AM

Hopefully the pictures will show. Have not uploaded pics before. My rear wheels are fine...no problem there. I feel confident I should be able to get this dried dust accumulation off but just want to use what would be best for the wheels to do it. Don't mind putting the elbow grease to it. It would seem to me using the right product that I should be able to remove it taking it off in "layers" meaning reducing it a little at a time so as not to hurt the color of the wheels.
Again thank you all for your replies. Our heat index here in TN has been unreal (112-114) lately so haven't tried some of the suggestions yet. Hope to soon.
Bill
PS...looks like the pics upload went well...as mentioned problem is just with the front ones.

Attached Thumbnails Brake Dust Problem-dsc02264.jpg   Brake Dust Problem-dsc02265.jpg