XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Brake issue

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2013, 05:23 AM
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Brake issue

I have recently noticed the brake pedal move slightly after stopping.

I inspected each wheel and there's plenty of pad. No error codes at all.

Fluid level is fine. No leaks anywhere.

Any idea whats going on?

tia

Old 08-04-2013, 07:43 AM
Received 50 Likes on 46 Posts

Could be the master cylinder starting to go. I would to see if it changes, but if the pedal feels solid and does not gradually continue to go down as you sit at a street light, etc. I would not worry about it.
RyeJag

Old 08-04-2013, 08:28 PM
Received 247 Likes on 177 Posts

"I have recently noticed the brake pedal move slightly after stopping."

If it is giving way under pressure from your foot after coming to a stop it could very well be some air got into the system. Get some help or get a good mechanic and bleed the system t each corner. You could try a reverse flush by forcing new brake fluid back through the system from the bleed valve at the caliper. That would push what ever air is in the system back to the brake fluid and out into the atmosphere. Most hardware/feed stores sell large plastic syringes that are perfect for the task. That and the correct type of tubing and you get a one man bleeding system.

Old 08-05-2013, 05:35 AM

Thanks for the tips,
RD, I have the stuff to try that.

cheers

Old 08-05-2013, 06:02 AM
Veteran Member
Received 737 Likes on 465 Posts

Not sure when or if you have ever changed the fluid but you may also have moisture in the fluid.

The fluid is a magnet for moisture (water).

As water does not compress the brakes are initially fine but quickly as the system get used the water boils in the lines. It it turns to steam. This does compress and the pedal gets spongy

Many a mechanic has chased master cilinders, looked for leaks ect ect when the fluid was bad

You would be amazed the difference in the brakes buy just replacing the fluid

Cheers
34by151

Old 09-11-2013, 05:23 AM

Thanks for the tips, I just get the pedal issue at the end of a stop, feels funny so I inspected the wheels again, nothing. I tried the air bleed thing, not much change. Mostly puzzled?

Old 09-11-2013, 09:50 AM
JRP
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

When you say brake pedal you are referring to the actual pedal vs. the wheel moving correct? Reason I ask is I had unusual play in my wheel when initial braking took place from reversing the car to moving forward, turned out to be both lower front rear bushings needed to be replaced which were causing movement.

Old 09-12-2013, 05:14 AM

Originally Posted by JRP
When you say brake pedal you are referring to the actual pedal vs. the wheel moving correct? Reason I ask is I had unusual play in my wheel when initial braking took place from reversing the car to moving forward, turned out to be both lower front rear bushings needed to be replaced which were causing movement.

Yes, the pedal seems to go down.

Old 09-13-2013, 03:46 PM
Received 247 Likes on 177 Posts

If your brake pedal continues go down, even slowly, it indicates that there's something in the system that is compressible...like air. Get someone to give your system a good bleed or a full drain and refill.

Old 09-14-2013, 06:39 AM

Originally Posted by RDMinor
If your brake pedal continues go down, even slowly, it indicates that there's something in the system that is compressible...like air. Get someone to give your system a good bleed or a full drain and refill.

ok, I'll do that.

Old 09-14-2013, 10:22 AM
Received 224 Likes on 125 Posts

Is there a correct sequence of events that need to be carried out prior to, or during or after doing a full brake fluid drain or can you just start on one wheel and move around the vehicle doing one brake at a time?

Is there anything specific you should watch for?

Old 09-14-2013, 10:52 AM
Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

In the faq, there's a post about doing brakes. In there is a procedure for bleeding the rear calipers with their extra circuit for the parking brake as well as the procedure to recalibrate the parking brake. Check those procedures out thoroughly.

Aside from that, start on passenger rear, then driver rear, then passenger front and finally driver front

Old 09-14-2013, 11:58 AM
Received 224 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by HhisIII
In the faq, there's a post about doing brakes. In there is a procedure for bleeding the rear calipers with their extra circuit for the parking brake as well as the procedure to recalibrate the parking brake. Check those procedures out thoroughly.

Aside from that, start on passenger rear, then driver rear, then passenger front and finally driver front
Thanks for the heads up.

Old 09-15-2013, 06:14 AM

I started with the right rear using the big syringe, seemed like a lot of air bubbles, but how did air get introduced in the first place? It never got low in the res.

Old 09-15-2013, 06:46 AM
Veteran Member
Received 737 Likes on 465 Posts

Drain as much fluid as possible from the reservoir
Then fill it to the max mark
Put a bleeder tube with a valve on the disk farthest away from the reservoir
Make sure the end on valve is immersed in some brake fluid
The old fluid you drained is perfect for this

This is the type of bleeder tube you need Vizibleed Brake & Clutch Bleeder - One Man - Supercheap Auto Australia

Open the bleeder valve just enough to let some fluid pass and start pumping the brake
Keep checking the reservoir to make sure you have fluid above the min mark and refill as needed
Keep pumping till you see the new fluid passing into the jar.
Tighten the bleader valve opposite rear brake valve and move on to the next brake
Repeat the processes and move onto the front brake farthest away from the reservoir
Finally do the brake closest to the reservoir

You have now bled all the brake lines and swapped the fluid

Cheers
34by151

Old 09-23-2013, 04:11 PM
Received 46 Likes on 21 Posts

I assume this is not what you're experiencing, but are you perchance feeling the pedal move when you are shifting in and out of park? I feel the pedal move when the electric (hydraulic) parking brake goes on. If I'm idling in neutral and manually apply and release the parking brake, I feel the pedal move slightly. I'm assuming that is normal (don't know), but I did a bleed recently and everything works great.

Old 09-24-2013, 05:47 AM

No, no shifting noticed, seems air might be getting in somewhere, but can't find anything, no leaks, res is full.

Mostly puzzled.

Old 04-30-2014, 07:09 PM

Brake issue has returned, almost every time I come to a stop I hear a clicking noise and the pedal goes down slightly.

Now I have been getting the RP message and the CEL is on. Then the RP goes away and eventually the CEL goes out too.

Not sure what's going on????

ap

Old 04-30-2014, 07:27 PM
Received 1,423 Likes on 1,066 Posts

Originally Posted by ant17
Brake issue has returned, almost every time I come to a stop I hear a clicking noise and the pedal goes down slightly.

Now I have been getting the RP message and the CEL is on. Then the RP goes away and eventually the CEL goes out too.

Not sure what's going on????

ap
Does the brake pedal "pulsate"just upon stopping when you have your foot on the brake pedal? if so could be an ABS related issue like a speed sensor being dirty or going bad

Old 05-01-2014, 07:14 AM

Originally Posted by abonano
Does the brake pedal "pulsate"just upon stopping when you have your foot on the brake pedal? if so could be an ABS related issue like a speed sensor being dirty or going bad
Only when stopping, not sure what the clicking noise is, maybe that gear on the wheel?

Quick Reply: Brake issue