XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Brake Squeaking

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2014, 02:05 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake Squeaking

So thanks in advance for listening to this novice question. After replacing several bushes in the front suspension I was reattaching the caliper (I had initially considered replacing the knuckle but decided against it.) when I picked it up I noticed a little metal clip fell out. There are four total holding each of the pads in place. The one that fell out looks broken but I put it back together and drove slowly around the block. The noises from the front suspension seem to be gone (hurray) but there is a constant squeal now from he front left brake. I assume this clip holds the brake pad off of the rotor when your not braking but am I right? I should have the new one in this afternoon or tomorrow but I wanted to make sure I didn't do other damage.

Old 07-01-2014, 08:11 AM
Received 309 Likes on 114 Posts
Default Clips

Originally Posted by Lance550
So thanks in advance for listening to this novice question. After replacing several bushes in the front suspension I was reattaching the caliper (I had initially considered replacing the knuckle but decided against it.) when I picked it up I noticed a little metal clip fell out. There are four total holding each of the pads in place. The one that fell out looks broken but I put it back together and drove slowly around the block. The noises from the front suspension seem to be gone (hurray) but there is a constant squeal now from he front left brake. I assume this clip holds the brake pad off of the rotor when your not braking but am I right? I should have the new one in this afternoon or tomorrow but I wanted to make sure I didn't do other damage.
Generally the clips are for anti-rattle when the brake is not applied and also a wear indicator. The clip extends a just over the thickness of the backing plate and when the pad wears done enough it causes a squeak before the pad is completely worn out. I would take off the caliper and make sure the pads are facing the rotor and that one isn't face the wrong direction and then check the clips are also in the correct orientation. Oblivious if the clip is broken don't put it back in. One clip maybe enough to keep the pad form rattling. Some pads don't fit with the clips or use an anti-rattling compound that is applies to the back of the pad prior to installation instead of clips.

The following users liked this post:
Don B (07-01-2014)
Old 07-01-2014, 09:23 AM
Received 12,942 Likes on 6,466 Posts

Originally Posted by Lance550
...when I picked it up I noticed a little metal clip fell out. There are four total holding each of the pads in place. The one that fell out looks broken but I put it back together and drove slowly around the block. The noises from the front suspension seem to be gone (hurray) but there is a constant squeal now from he front left brake. I assume this clip holds the brake pad off of the rotor when your not braking but am I right? I should have the new one in this afternoon or tomorrow but I wanted to make sure I didn't do other damage.

Hi Lance,

I'm attaching the diagram of the front brake components from the Electronic Parts Catalog (EPC), which you can download from the X350 'HOW TO' Quick Links thread on the home page of this X350 forum. The diagram doesn't seem to show any clips available as separate parts, so I think Ed is right that the part you found may either have broken off of a pad, or may need to be clipped onto the pad in some way. Our '04 has the Brembo brakes, which are a little different, so I can't visualize the part you are describing. Let us know what you figure out.

Cheers,

Don

Attached Files