XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Brighter Xenons

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2015, 01:54 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default This method works just fine....

,,, No bumper removal! Thank the gods.

The only thing I would add is that to make the removal of the power supply line even easier it is possible to back out the bulb assembly into the void towards the fender. In this way the 'bulb' part is now completely released from the plastic enclosure and you can turn the piece around to see the plug you're trying to unhook.

$40 + 20 minutes (total for both sides) =

Old 09-24-2015, 04:15 AM
Veteran Member
Received 342 Likes on 260 Posts

Maybe dumb question, but do you need to disconnect the battery to work safely?

Old 09-24-2015, 04:58 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wouldn't bother for simply unplugging old bulbs and inserting new ones (as long as you're not the kind of person who can't resist prying things out with screwdrivers). If I was doing anything that involved cutting wires then yes I would.

Old 09-25-2015, 05:31 AM
Received 36 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Magic Hat
I wouldn't bother for simply unplugging old bulbs and inserting new ones (as long as you're not the kind of person who can't resist prying things out with screwdrivers). If I was doing anything that involved cutting wires then yes I would.
Agreed. For as long as the car is off (and no key on key folb to make sure nothing else is on), there's no need to disconnect the battery to replace those globes in line with the method described above.

Old 02-20-2016, 09:04 AM
MEC
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Best Post EVER!

Seth, just wanted to say that I have the identical car and just replaced both HID lamps in under 30 minutes as a first timer. Your directions and photos were spot on the made the job very rewarding.

Bumper removal....TOTAL Jaguar BS to charge $450.

Thanks again,

MEC

Old 02-21-2016, 03:46 PM

Wonderful, MEC. Long live the forum!

Old 05-13-2017, 09:27 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Seth, I figured out how to get the indicator bulbs out and back but now struggling to get back covers on again. Being such a pain i have decided to replace my HID units while i have the covers off. Also people who i follow tell me my HIDs are different colors. Maybe that one was replace on my 2005 under warranty back in 2008. However looking for replacement i find two Sylvania options - The original replacement at Sylvania D1S Basic ($99) and another, the Sylvania D1S zXe ($115). It would seem the later is whiter brighter light. Any idea if this zXe will fit with no other mods? Appreciate anyone advice/experience.

Old 05-14-2017, 06:27 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,361 Likes on 1,478 Posts

Originally Posted by Jagnut07
Hi Seth, I figured out how to get the indicator bulbs out and back but now struggling to get back covers on again. Being such a pain i have decided to replace my HID units while i have the covers off. Also people who i follow tell me my HIDs are different colors. Maybe that one was replace on my 2005 under warranty back in 2008. However looking for replacement i find two Sylvania options - The original replacement at Sylvania D1S Basic ($99) and another, the Sylvania D1S zXe ($115). It would seem the later is whiter brighter light. Any idea if this zXe will fit with no other mods? Appreciate anyone advice/experience.
Yes they will fit. They are whiter because the color temp is cooler at 5k compared to 4.2k for OEM.

Old 05-14-2017, 02:04 PM

Originally Posted by Jagnut07
So long as it is a D1S it will fit into X350 models.

The difference in colour is due to the colour temperture. The higher the colour temprature measured in Kelvin temperature rating, the more blue/violet the light becomes and the less useable that light output would be. Higher color temperatures are known as cool colors (5000K and up) and produce bluish white to violet light while lower color temperatures (5000K and down) are called warm colors and produce yellowish white to red.

In short, I read somewhere that colour ranges in the 3000s produce a yellowish colour, 5000Ks: pure white, 6000Ks: crystal white, 8000Ks: light blue, 10,000K blue, 12000K violet

Best wishes

The following users liked this post:
Jagnut07 (05-14-2017)
Old 05-14-2017, 09:42 PM

Originally Posted by jahummer
Yes they will fit. They are whiter because the color temp is cooler at 5k compared to 4.2k for OEM.
Many thanks, good explanation. I am going to go with the zXe at 5000k and see how they work. I am also going to change the main beams for Sylvania Halogen zXe at the same time and see how they all work together.

Old 05-14-2017, 09:45 PM

Many thanks Seth. See my other reply to jahummer. I am going to go with the zXe D1S for dipped beam and halogen for main beam and see how they all work. Will let you know.

Old 05-15-2017, 07:01 AM
MEC
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Default HID changout

Changed out my lamps about a year ago. Here is the link to what I bought (way less expensive than the Sylvania equivalent and they have been in the car since January 2016).

Amazon Amazon

Also, there are some tricks to getting the assemblies back together which are found on this site as well. Small, long fingers help! :-). Did 4 lamps in less than 30 minutes after initially struggling, then finally doing more searching, reading and printing.

In any case, I went with 10,000K lamps. Not too blue, but give the car (2005 XJR) a much more current look. Then I also changed out the fog lamps. Went to amber. Here is the link for those;

Amazon Amazon

Best of luck.

Old 05-15-2017, 09:46 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,361 Likes on 1,478 Posts

Two important things to consider, the lower the color temp - higher Kelvin- the lower the lumen output, 4200 is brighter than 5000 and 5000 is brighter than 6000 though probably within a safe range, however 10k is going to be too dim. The other concern is using off brand bulbs, I would not risk using a cheap non major brand that could explode and damage an expensive lamp assembly going with Sylvania, Osram, Philips, etc for only a little higher cost is a no brainer to me.

Originally Posted by MEC
Changed out my lamps about a year ago. Here is the link to what I bought (way less expensive than the Sylvania equivalent and they have been in the car since January 2016).

https://www.amazon.com/Xenon-Headlig...ype=automotive

Also, there are some tricks to getting the assemblies back together which are found on this site as well. Small, long fingers help! :-). Did 4 lamps in less than 30 minutes after initially struggling, then finally doing more searching, reading and printing.

In any case, I went with 10,000K lamps. Not too blue, but give the car (2005 XJR) a much more current look. Then I also changed out the fog lamps. Went to amber. Here is the link for those;

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Best of luck.

Old 11-09-2020, 07:33 AM
Received 35 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Seth
I've now checked again and timed myself. This time I beat my previous record and completed the entire procedure for the right hand side in just under 8 minutes!

I have taken pictures of the step by step procedure I followed (similar to the above quoted procedure) and this is my contribution to assist fellow forumisters to understand what we are talking about.

Here it goes (See pictures labelled Step 1-7 for your reference. PS. Can anyone tell me how I can attach pictures so that each step can have its picture under the step text?):

1. Remove the front engine plastic cover by removing 6 plastic "screws" as shown in picture 1 (step 1 pic).

2. Note the position of the wire clip holding the plastic cover against the light unit, and Unclip wire holding the HID light unit as shown in picture 2 & 2b

3. Push plastic HID light cover backwards from the top, then wiggle it left to right to loosen the bottom. PS. You may need to slide your finger downwards to loosen the bottom part of the plastic light cover. See picture 3

4. To remove the plastic cover from the "hole", tilt it slightly sideways with the top part pointing towards the middle of the car. See pic 4

5. Pull it upwards to remove it. NB. The bottom part of the plastic cover is bigger and you may need to use a little bit of "force", not excessive, just a little nudge out. See pic 5

6. Remove the electric wiring from the D1S HID bulb before unclipping its wire holding the globe in its slot. See pic 6

7. Unclip the wire holder and remove the globe. to get to this stage from step 1, will take you roughly 5 minutes or less. See pic 7, 7b, 7c

8. To close up, indeed you need to follow the above steps in reverse, but let me caution you by outlining the following:

8.1. You will find step 6 too time consuming if you have gigantic fingers like mine. It is not easy to clot in the electric wiring onto the D1S HID bulb. It takes patience, silence, and lots of sunlight for first timers as you may find yourself easily spending 5-10 minutes trying to slot the electric wiring in. Once in, the biggest hurdle would have been overcome.

8.2 The next big hurdle, albeit slightly less intense is completing step 4 to replace the plastic cover. the trick here is to first hook in the lower tip onto a rectangular wire clip at the bottom to ensure that the plastic cover is airtight once you've clipped its wire holding it tightly against the HID light unit. You need to ensure that the cover neatly slots in the guides and is airtight before you clip on the wire holding it against the light unit. Once done, then the job is done. I reckon for first timers, completing this step can take another 5-10 minutes.

In total, for first timers, it could take you 30-40 minutes to replace one side. Perhaps less for the other side. With lots and lots of practice, you can beat my current record and do it under 8 minutes per globe.

Good luck.
I know it's an old thread but I used this very good guide to replace my HID bulf over the weekend. It was a bid of hassle to clip the new bulb in , I don't have fairylike fingers, but got there eventually. Unfortunately the bulb didn't work.... I got a flicker when I used the headlight button on my fob just for a few seconds which leads me to believe that the ballast unit has failed.

does anyone know of any aftermarket ballast units that can be used without throwing up air suspension codes and the like.Also do I need a 4 or 12 pin ballast unit...... Thank you.
'06 X350.

Last edited by Colm O; 11-09-2020 at 09:18 AM. Reason: error