XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Bulb replacement with a twist

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2018, 12:05 PM
Received 71 Likes on 63 Posts
Default Bulb replacement with a twist

Changed the headlight incandescent bulbs yesterday for Philips Night Guide. Not something to be done in a hurry. Both rear bulb cover have little room for maneuver. They are held in place by a wire clip. Turn upwards to release. The cover can be removed after rotating to the right. The bulb electrical connector was stiff but come off with a little wiggling. The bulb is held in with wire clip that is displaced to the right and then swings up. The bulb can then be removed.
The driver's side was relatively straight forward but I had to remove the earth post wires on the passenger side to allow enough room for the rear bulb cover to be moved backwards. Put a tissue beneath the nuts in case I dropped one of them. I removed a small nub on the lower bulb cover tongue that engages with the lower wire loop. This allowed me to engage the tongue with the loop. A flashlight was very helpful here. Otherwise I would still be trying to get the cover into the right position.
This is an opportunity to clean and then and coat the earth posts with Noalox anti-corrosion compound.
Afterwards, feeling pleased and relieved I lowered the the hood to have the bonnet leaper come off in my hand! At least it fell off then. The wire had corroded. Will be looking for a bicycle cable and cable stop.
Any hints on this next tricky wee job?

Old 03-05-2018, 07:50 PM
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I had to re mount the leaper on my old S-Type, went to local hardware store for a small length of stranded stainless steel cable about the size of twine, and one or two wire ferrules. There are supposed to be a few parts to the securing of the leaper, namely a spring and an end cap which has a hole in it.
You'll want to start by running the wire through the hole in the bottom of the leaper, then down through your hood. Maybe tape the emblem in place or have someone help you. You can now feed the wire ends through the eye of the spring and then the cap and slide it into place.
Now is when you want a second set of hands, as it can be tricky to do solo. Start by sliding on the ferrule, and having your crimping device (pliers) ready. Pull the wire tight making sure your leaper is still in position, and push upwards on the spring using that ferrule and crush it when you're satisfied with the tension on it.
I left mine very slightly movable because I like to think there Is such a thing as too tight which could lead to early failure. Good luck with your emblem! And remember there's always more than one way to do something

The following users liked this post:
Dan R (03-06-2018)