XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

A/C Compressor won't work when car is Hot!

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2010, 11:18 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default A/C Compressor won't work when car is Hot!

Sounds strange, I know but twice now after the car has been parked for several hours in intense heat (Phoenix, AZ), the Air Conditioning system works but no cool air is pumped out of the vents; just hot air! It's as tough the compressor doesn't engage!

Shutting down and restarting doesn't work. If I pull the car into the garage and let it set for hours; then all is fine!

It has only happened when the interior temperature of the car is VERY hot!

It kind makes me wonder if these cars have some type of sensor that shuts down the AC compressor for some reason and apparently just sitting in the hot AZ sun trips the sensor or maybe the sensor (if one exists) needs replacing!!!!!!

Any Clues? Thanks!

Old 08-17-2010, 10:05 AM
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Get it checked , see if the sensors are working also, it really is strange and funny... by the way drive around and see if it helps , i mean see if it blows some cold air

Old 08-17-2010, 10:58 AM

Originally Posted by JagMaster
Get it checked , see if the sensors are working also, it really is strange and funny... by the way drive around and see if it helps , i mean see if it blows some cold air

Thanks JagMaster. Driving around, restarting, turning AC On / Off doesn't help. It seems like the only solution is to let the interior temperature subside; then it works just fine!

You mentioned sensors; do you know where they are? I mean are they (it) on the interior cabin or under the hood and what is the purpose of the sensors. I asked a local mechanic about this anomaly but he wasn't sure if Jags had sensors like some of the Mercedes he works on. It would be hand if I could point him to their location.

Thanks

Old 08-17-2010, 12:55 PM
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by equicor
Thanks JagMaster. Driving around, restarting, turning AC On / Off doesn't help. It seems like the only solution is to let the interior temperature subside; then it works just fine!

You mentioned sensors; do you know where they are? I mean are they (it) on the interior cabin or under the hood and what is the purpose of the sensors. I asked a local mechanic about this anomaly but he wasn't sure if Jags had sensors like some of the Mercedes he works on. It would be hand if I could point him to their location.

Thanks
there are two sensors one is in the car on the dashboard, it's black and round, you have probably seen it many times, it actually measures the light exposure, and the other one is clipped behind the splitter on the front bumper, its the temp sensor. Also make him check the A/C gas and pump. As far as I know there are no error codes right?

Old 08-17-2010, 05:11 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,490 Likes on 908 Posts

There is also the in-car temperature/humidity sensor as well as sensors in the air flow for the face vents that detect the temperature of the air coming out.

You can over ride the air face air flow sensors by selecting the face mode on the air con control panel.

There are quite a number of errors that can be logged so it may be worth paying a visit to a dealer and getting them to plug their diagnostic equipment in.

Old 08-17-2010, 05:12 PM

Originally Posted by JagMaster
there are two sensors one is in the car on the dashboard, it's black and round, you have probably seen it many times, it actually measures the light exposure, and the other one is clipped behind the splitter on the front bumper, its the temp sensor. Also make him check the A/C gas and pump. As far as I know there are no error codes right?

You're right, there has not been an error code any time this happens. Thanks for the info on the two sensors; is there a way to check the sensors or does one replace them by process of elimination until the problem is rectified?

I'm not sure what you mean when you refer to the 'splitter' on the bumper; is that the grille?

Thanks again for your insight!