XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

A/C not working. Fixed a leak but won't recharge!

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2016, 08:24 PM
Received 26 Likes on 10 Posts
Default A/C not working. Fixed a leak but won't recharge!

I have a 2004 XJR. The A/C stopped working a few weeks ago. I had a mechanic locate 2 leaks in the high and low pressure lines and it was replaced.

Today I took my car to shop to get it discharged and recharged but the machine couldn't fill my car up with the refrigerant. I was told it seemed like the system was clogged or blocked somehow.

What do I need to check now? switches or relays? The compressor never turned on. Please help!!

Old 09-28-2016, 08:59 PM
Received 165 Likes on 104 Posts

Try placing gauges on the system to see if you can get a reading. Check the desiccant bag in the condenser. It is possible that it is dirty and clogged from the leaks that you had. It is possible that there could be a cog at the condenser. Worse case could the expansion valve located behind the dashis a pain to replace. It is also possible that the valve that controls the compressor displacement has gone out which can be replaced. Or maybe the whole compressor has pooped.

The following users liked this post:
Hustle Hyde (09-29-2016)
Old 09-29-2016, 07:27 AM
Received 26 Likes on 10 Posts

Thanks for the reply. I will forward your response to my mechanic.

Is there anything else I should be looking for or checking? Any fuses that might have gone out? If the compressor is bad would that keep the system from accepting a charge?

Any information could help me trouble shoot this problem.I do have a used compressor that I bought but just haven't put it in yet because Iwasn't sure if my compressor was bad or still good.

Old 09-29-2016, 09:43 PM
Received 165 Likes on 104 Posts

I beleive if the compressor itself is bad it will not suck in a charge. You may want to download the electrical manual in the stickies section. This may help your mechanic route any electrical issues. Hopefully it's something simple as a fuse or relay.keep us posted.

Old 09-30-2016, 12:34 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,245 Likes on 2,374 Posts

Originally Posted by BlackKat
I beleive if the compressor itself is bad it will not suck in a charge. You may want to download the electrical manual in the stickies section. This may help your mechanic route any electrical issues. Hopefully it's something simple as a fuse or relay.keep us posted.
Something's not right. Your "mechanic" should know all of this. You're asking rudimentary questions that any mechanic worth his/ her salt would know to look for.

They should have access to the electrical schematics and manual for your vehicle.

Is he just hooking up the gauges and shrugging his shoulders, or is he telling you he checked all of the parts, listed what he checked and validated that the parts are/ are not working? Was he able to successfully evacuate the system and create a vacuum?

In order to better help you, I think we need more details on your experience with the shop since you're asking questions that would have been part of a shops standard troubleshooting.

Better still, take it to another indy mechanic for a second opinion.

So yes, clog in the system is possible (shrader valves are a common spot as is the receiver/ drier which should have been replaced when the lines were changed.) You can run a jumper to the low side pressure switch to get the compressor to run. The compressor could be shot as Blackkat mentions, but that would be strange given it was running a few weeks ago. Let's start there for now.

Let us know please.

Last edited by Sean W; 10-01-2016 at 11:40 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Don B (09-30-2016)