XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

CA SMOG with P1000 and incomplete Evap and Comprehensive Component Monitors WILL PASS

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2021, 08:56 PM
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
Default CA SMOG with P1000 and incomplete Evap and Comprehensive Component Monitors WILL PASS

Hello everyone

I wanted to let everyone know - because this subject has such debate - that my 2005 X350 Vanden Plas passed CA smog with a P1000 and with the Evap and CCM not ready.

The smog check station said it would not pass but it has the last two times. They did not want to do it and gave me the usual - go drive around statement.

I was unable to clear these codes as long as I have had the car (since 2017). Alas, I looked at the On-Board Diagnostic Test Reference from the website of the CA Bureau of Automotive Repair (BAR) and found this interesting information on readiness monitors. Note the table says that only Evap can be incomplete - but I read footnotes - take a look at footnote 3. The CA OBD testing ignores misfire, fuel and CCM readiness monitors for gasoline vehicles from 2000 and beyond. They hooked up to the big machine and it passed - they were mighty impressed and surprised. I do not think a lot of the SMOG techs realize this and so you may want to bring this to them if you have a similar issue.

Full document web page: https://www.bar.ca.gov/Industry/OBD_Test_Reference

The following 3 users liked this post by ckreling:
cooldood (11-28-2022), Rancheroguy (11-07-2021), Y2KJag (09-26-2023)
Old 11-07-2021, 03:13 PM
Received 43 Likes on 40 Posts

I was told specifically by my local tech the CCM was a code that "had" to be cleared when I first took my 04 to be smogged. I researched the issue also but did not see the footnote. Thank you for the update. Although I was able to get all the monitors to clear by a complete tuneup and some rather spirited driving.

I just checked and I had my 1st smog in 2016. This is good to know in case I need it in the future. Thanks again.

Old 11-08-2021, 07:57 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi, Does this apply if only the ccm is open? Or do they mean the evap system and ccm have to be open together? I ask because I read of faulty sensors on evap systems so they allow for exceptions because the evap is causing the open ccm.

Old 11-08-2021, 11:20 AM
Received 43 Likes on 40 Posts

I am not exactly sure I understand your question but the evap system has 2 tests it runs before is will "set" the monitor. If I recall correctly one is for large leaks (greater than .04) and small leaks (greater than .02). Those diagnostics are not the same as the CCM. I was not able to find a listing for all of the components checked while the CCM monitor is shown as pending. Consequently it is very difficult to repair, if necessary, and clear/set that monitor. There are service bulletins about/for the Evap system monitor codes that help in locating problems in those areas. However, it can take a long time and many miles to complete the "drive cycle" that will indicate the Evap monitor as no longer pending. The problem with pending codes is that there is no actual code (POXX) to help identify a actual problem and aid in making a repair. There is not even a well defined drive cycle for the CCM. I do not know if that helps answer your question or not. I'm just glad California finally cut us some slack with the monitors when there is not a code being shown.