XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Cabin fumes

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2016, 03:19 PM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Cabin fumes

Yes and yes it's the flex joint,, order parts, arrange a fitting day ( in the cold) get too the flex joint,,, both OK. Start up check for leak,,, ancillary heater try to start,, smokes,, I just found the source of the smell,, clean and run problem sorted, send back the flexibility repair kit.!

Old 12-02-2016, 04:08 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,462 Likes on 1,956 Posts

Hmm, well don't be in a hurry to send back that flexi-pipe kit, you may need it in the near future ! Have you bought the solid pipe after market kit or the Jaguar one that keeps the flexis ? I was in my local independent the other day, and they had had an owner come in complaining of vibration. They asked them if they had recently replaced the flexi with the non-flexi kit. The owner said yes, so they advised them that the flexi-pipe is there for a purpose - reduce vibration !!

Old 12-03-2016, 02:11 PM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I have thought hard about which i would use. As for vibration i find that hard to understand bearing in mind mounting. The best i can come up with is protection of the cast manifold in stopping undue pressure on it which could cause cracking. as for the kit i did opt for non-flex. However i have two turbos so both ends are at 90 degrees so the kit was no good as one in the kit was straight. On inspection one (left )has a jag repair amd right side is a new cat so i dont need to worry for some mile. now i just let the heater fire up before i pull off from cold problem solved.