XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Call 800-4-jaguar for Roof pop Complaint

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2010, 12:26 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Call 800-4-jaguar for Roof pop Complaint

We should all call 800-4-jaguar to complain about roof popping, roof shade not workin,nav,radio,backup sensor not working. this is ridiculous.

Old 09-05-2010, 08:53 AM
Received 51 Likes on 48 Posts

I'm going to give my dealer one more stab at fixing the roof popping before I turn up the heat with Jaguar.

Old 09-07-2010, 10:06 PM
pwl
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I've been in touch with that number a few times. They seemed very concerned, but haven't done anything but take a "wait and see" attitude while the dealer looks at it (for the 2nd time now). Maybe behind the scenes they are doing something, who knows. However, it seems they stopped returning my calls after I complained about the roof popping. And dealer claims never to have heard of any other complaints or to have gotten any bulletins from Jaguar. This seems very odd as enough people have reported this issue.

Rode with servcie tech in car and we replicated the problem. So, it seems my car will be the "guinea pig", since the dealer says this is the first they have ever heard of it (though they say they have not sold many at all). Assuming they fix it, I only hope the roof liner (that they need to remove and put back) doesn't fall on me or my kids one day.

Old 09-08-2010, 02:36 AM
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wish you the best guys and that they fix the issue for you very soon.

Old 09-08-2010, 03:14 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just spoke to Susan today she called me back within a hour, she was pleasant and informed me Jaguar is aware of the problem and they are fixing it, she told me the sunshade part was on order and the update for
the nav should be the end of september.

Old 09-08-2010, 03:21 PM
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

well on the other hand you can always pour some gas on your jags and fire them up right in front of your dealer, or you can call me and I ll come pick it up and drive it , I'll just turn to volume up to suppress the popping noise xD

Old 09-10-2010, 04:48 PM
pwl

Got it back today. After removing the headliner and generally dirtying up the interior of the vehicle, tightening some bolts here and there...the problem is now WORSE. First the service tech said it was fixed, but the sunroof (or panorama roof) would pop/knock when I open it. I was like, what? - the sun roof never made any noises. They then got the tech who fixed it, and he said something else - that it won't pop under "normal driving conditions" now, but will still pop turning onto driveways, aprons, etc. He said Jag was looking into this and they would have to wait to hear back on how to fix it once and for all. No indication on when that might happen. But in driving it off, it started to pop/knock more than before. I'm sorry, but making a Right turn is a "normal driving condition". For that matter, pulling in and out of a driveway is as well. They left it on empty, so I went to get gas (more popping when I turned into the gas station), and then I noticed the back part of the driver’s seat in the foot well area had been pulled off and not reinstalled. I took it back so that they could fix that.They also told me at one point it was ‘shifting glass’ causing then noise. When I said ‘shifting glass’ doesn’t sound good, sounds like something that could shatter, and they said don’t worry it’s “safety glass”. I’m not sure how to take that….am I suppose to feel better now knowing that if/when it does shatter, my kids won’t be injured by falling glass?This issue alone, especially considering the dealer is not sure what the problem is, and the Jag NA person (I just spoke to) appears to not have heard of it, is more than enough reason take action to compel them to take back the car or replace it with a new one in proper working order. I’m told it will now kick up to the technical team at corporate. At this point, who cares….I’ve been living with a new $90,000 car for 90+ days that has not worked properly since the day it was delivered – with a constant popping noise, and electrical system/software failures, etc.

Old 09-12-2010, 08:30 PM
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by pwl
Got it back today. After removing the headliner and generally dirtying up the interior of the vehicle, tightening some bolts here and there...the problem is now WORSE. First the service tech said it was fixed, but the sunroof (or panorama roof) would pop/knock when I open it. I was like, what? - the sun roof never made any noises. They then got the tech who fixed it, and he said something else - that it won't pop under "normal driving conditions" now, but will still pop turning onto driveways, aprons, etc. He said Jag was looking into this and they would have to wait to hear back on how to fix it once and for all. No indication on when that might happen. But in driving it off, it started to pop/knock more than before. I'm sorry, but making a Right turn is a "normal driving condition". For that matter, pulling in and out of a driveway is as well. They left it on empty, so I went to get gas (more popping when I turned into the gas station), and then I noticed the back part of the driver’s seat in the foot well area had been pulled off and not reinstalled. I took it back so that they could fix that.They also told me at one point it was ‘shifting glass’ causing then noise. When I said ‘shifting glass’ doesn’t sound good, sounds like something that could shatter, and they said don’t worry it’s “safety glass”. I’m not sure how to take that….am I suppose to feel better now knowing that if/when it does shatter, my kids won’t be injured by falling glass?This issue alone, especially considering the dealer is not sure what the problem is, and the Jag NA person (I just spoke to) appears to not have heard of it, is more than enough reason take action to compel them to take back the car or replace it with a new one in proper working order. I’m told it will now kick up to the technical team at corporate. At this point, who cares….I’ve been living with a new $90,000 car for 90+ days that has not worked properly since the day it was delivered – with a constant popping noise, and electrical system/software failures, etc.
S-Class is waiting for you ;-)

Old 09-17-2010, 10:00 PM
pwl

Interesting....did any of you know the Corvette was recalled late last year for roof issues. Look at nhsta.gov recall RCDNN 09V4941000 (2005-2007). I'm not saying it's the same, but look at some of what is says on the website:

"concerns the way the roofs panels attach to the frame. Under certain circumstances that adhesive can come apart and the roof can fall off the vehicle at speed.....The adhesive between the roof panel and the frame may separate. If there is a partial separation, the driver may notice one or more symptoms, such as a snapping noise when driving over bumps... in a worst-case scenario, the roof may detach from the car altogether and could hit another vehicle or cause property damage."

Now, the corvette has a removable roof, but basically the XJ is all glass, panorama roof that basically lifts out and back. Anyhow, the symptom with the Corvett is what caught my eye, as it's the same with the XJ.

Old 09-22-2010, 07:05 PM
pwl

Don't waste time calling Jaguar NA. All I would get is "wow, very sorry, once we fix this, maybe we will talk about some "goodwill" ". Sounded like a broken record.

Your best best: Keep taking it back if it's not fixed (mine was dropped off 3 times for this and other issue). Keep records of all this. Depending on your state, if certain things fail the 4th time, don't even get it fixed...just call a local attorney specializing in lemon laws. Jaguar in the end will care only about it's own interests, so you need to look out for yours as well, which means consider all possible relief permitted under the law when you have purchased defective products. BTW, these laws generally cover leases as well.

Old 09-23-2010, 12:25 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds bad. Reminds of the TONS of issues we had with a 1st series car, the 04 XJ8. That car was never right and visited the Jag shop more times than I can count using my fingers and toes. It was a lemon but as it was a Select Edition, Jaguar paid for everything including a rental each time. In fact, we got to drive more cars, that was cool.

The lesson I learnt is never, ever buy a 1st series cars, it just has too many issues and they are always rushing to get the cars out on time with existing issues.

Good luck with this guys.

Last edited by BlackVDP; 09-23-2010 at 12:28 PM.
Old 09-24-2010, 10:09 PM
pwl

No matter how hard I try, I can't seem to get Jaguar to do much.

The last car I had that had problems like this was the new 1988 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme (if you can believe that). While not as advanced, it had a host of electrical issues - inoperative windows (similar to my XJ), faulty AC, accelreated on its own (long before toyota had that problem, and this one REALLY did take off on its own, not some sticking peddle, but a circuit chip), and problems with the fancy all digital display (hmm...again, like my XJ). It cuased me never to buy another American car again, and I haven't since.

So I guess this is my last British car.....hey, maybe they really are making these things in India!

Last edited by pwl; 09-24-2010 at 10:17 PM.
Old 09-25-2010, 03:05 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,455 Likes on 1,951 Posts

I can tell you that they are not making Jaguars in India (yet).