XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

cam belt, tensioners and water pump 105k miles

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2016, 07:09 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,010 Likes on 4,113 Posts
Default cam belt, tensioners and water pump 105k miles

Well, had the car in at Prestige this morning with a view to getting the cam belt, tensioners and water pump replaced, this should be done at 105k miles, I'm at 102k so now would be a good time to do it.

She's booked in for 4th July for this and also for checks on sticky ignition barrel as well as replacing the fibre optic cabling in the boot to see if that will resolve my intermittent sound issues.

On a happy note, coming out of the local shop this evening I was stopped by passer by who commented "it was one of the nicest Jags he'd seen in a while".......
Thanks very much I replied with a big smile on my face....lol

Onwards n upwards
Jim

Old 06-13-2016, 10:53 PM
Veteran Member
Received 256 Likes on 203 Posts
Default I must need to do mine

Originally Posted by JimC64
Well, had the car in at Prestige this morning with a view to getting the cam belt, tensioners and water pump replaced, this should be done at 105k miles, I'm at 102k so now would be a good time to do it.

Onwards n upwards
Jim

I must have missed this service did the accessory belt, tensioner, and supercharger belt at 100,000 miles. Did not know the cam drive requires maintenance.

Old 06-14-2016, 04:33 AM
Veteran Member

Panelhead - I'm pretty sure this only relates to the 2.7 Tdvi models so you should be fine, but by all means please check

Thanks
Jim

Old 07-05-2016, 06:35 PM
Veteran Member

Well dropped the car off yesterday and left her for the full day, collected around lunch time today.
The cam belt, tensioners and water pump all done ( fresh anti freeze of course ) so that's all good for another wee while.

The ignition barrel sticking issue was also resolved, now smooooth as butter, a real joy to turn the key at last!
The fibre optic cable was replaced in the rear of the vehicle too on Evan Trinh's recommendation for my intermittent sound issues, so we'll see how that goes In the fullness of time I guess.......I'll report back

Old 07-06-2016, 12:38 PM
Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by JimC64
The ignition barrel sticking issue was also resolved, now smooooth as butter, a real joy to turn the key at last!
How did they fix that? My car has a sloppy ignition key but when turning it off it is not smooth, there is a bit of resistance. I understand there are two parts that relate to the ignition, the part where the key goes and then a cable from there to the actual ignition switch.

Old 07-06-2016, 04:06 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by 06-XJR
How did they fix that? My car has a sloppy ignition key but when turning it off it is not smooth, there is a bit of resistance. I understand there are two parts that relate to the ignition, the part where the key goes and then a cable from there to the actual ignition switch.

There is a switch ( possibly as part of or behind the barrel itself ) I think
That's what was causing the problem not overly expensive and a fairly cheap / easy fix I believe......
You might try looking at that?