XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Cannot Apply Parkbrake / Parkbrake Fault

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2014, 07:40 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,006 Likes on 4,113 Posts
Default Cannot Apply Parkbrake / Parkbrake Fault

Ok, so looks like we're going to be running down a small list of faults

In the past few weeks, I've had the "Cannot apply parkbrake" fault message with an amber warning......this, usually after a wash at the local guys I use ( under supervision I might add...lol )

It seems to be that the jetwash, possibly particularly in the wheel area sets this off, but its always cleared and drove away no issues, all fine n dandy after that.

Well, last night the wife was off to see Gary Barlow and I picked her up.....

It was damp and raining, lots of puddles and spray on the road and yes, the "cannot apply parkbrake" fault and amber warning light came on, a few on / off cycles cleared this no issue, but now its concerning.

This morning, I saw "Parkbrake fault" and the car would not come out of park or move!
More than a few on / off cycles and some time later, it eventually released and I drove to my destination a short distance away.

On getting back to the car I see "cannot apply parkbrake" message again, but the car is driveable, now officially worried.

Anyhow, after checking various threads, it seems like it may be the motor or could in fact be a wiring chafed through near the diff area?

I called my warranty company ( as you do ) to explain the situation.

As the car's going in for work under a pre existing claim, they've advised to get it checked at that time and see where we go from there, unless of course its considered a safety issue.

Wouldn't it be nice if this issue was sorted under warranty too??
fingers crossed....

I'll report back on findings of course...

Old 04-04-2014, 07:20 AM
Veteran Member

Well had a word with both the garage and the warranty company and it'll be getting checked out, when in for diff repair unless it gets worse in the meantime.

Its been fairly intermittent to be fair, although more regular in the last few days ( all wet I hasten to add )

This leads me to believe that it may be the wiring issue previously mentioned, but either way it'll be getting checked out and resolved.

I'll report back what the issue is in the hope that it may help someone else in future.

Old 04-04-2014, 08:11 AM
Received 2,190 Likes on 1,357 Posts

Or corrion inside the pb cables increasing amps to apply and creating a fault message.
best to have it fixed period before it wont release and youre stuck, and probobly when youre in the late night drive through and put it in park to get your money out.

The following users liked this post:
JimC64 (04-04-2014)
Old 04-04-2014, 11:19 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Brutal
Or corrion inside the pb cables increasing amps to apply and creating a fault message.
best to have it fixed period before it wont release and youre stuck, and probobly when youre in the late night drive through and put it in park to get your money out.
Thanks Brutal

Old 04-08-2014, 05:51 AM
Veteran Member

Well car checked today and guess what??

The wiring is chafing as suspected.............it seems to be in line with the issue being more prevalent when its wet.

Dougie, did a temporary repair by splicing the wire and covering with insulation tape then cleared the codes, all seems well for now.....

May be a a new motor / wiring loom but further checks necessary and looks like the warranty may cough up.

All good so far........Thanks Prestige Jaguar

Old 08-22-2017, 04:51 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Park brake fault

Originally Posted by JimC64
Well car checked today and guess what??

The wiring is chafing as suspected.............it seems to be in line with the issue being more prevalent when its wet.

Dougie, did a temporary repair by splicing the wire and covering with insulation tape then cleared the codes, all seems well for now.....

May be a a new motor / wiring loom but further checks necessary and looks like the warranty may cough up.

All good so far........Thanks Prestige Jaguar
Thanks for the tip. Mine also periodically lock up after wet weather or going for a car wash. I found a trick from another forum to unlock the park brake. You have to access your battery terminal, remove the negative lead, wait five minutes, the reconnect, an follow the on screen instruction to press the brake pedal and trigger the EPB. However it is an inconvenience.

Could you advise where is the location of the cracked wire near the rear differential? a photo would be great!

Old 08-30-2017, 06:53 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Jagx350tdvi
Thanks for the tip. Mine also periodically lock up after wet weather or going for a car wash. I found a trick from another forum to unlock the park brake. You have to access your battery terminal, remove the negative lead, wait five minutes, the reconnect, an follow the on screen instruction to press the brake pedal and trigger the EPB. However it is an inconvenience.

Could you advise where is the location of the cracked wire near the rear differential? a photo would be great!

Hi there, sorry I can't help with a pic, it was quite some time ago now

If memory serves it was up around the rear diff area and that's where the chafing was taking place......a little time and it was easily found and dealt with
Jim