XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Car fights back once again this time the radio

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2013, 11:24 AM
Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Car fights back once again this time the radio

hi all after some help, as my lovely xj hates me. she just came out of a full re spray 2 weeks ago and had new shock bushes 2 days ago yet for some reason doesnt like me.

Today i was fixing things up as have a being the chief wedding car in a few weeks. Needed to change a few bulbs and one of the bulbs was in the cigarette light under the nav screen. I wasnt sure if nav was needed to be taken out to allow the lighter to lift out. So took nav out cleaned everything went to put it all back together and noticed that the radio antenna was in 2 pieces. The end of the cable has snapped off because it is a weird right angled shape that seems too small. My problem is now that i can seem to find the replacement part or what size it is. If i could find what size i could solider a new end on to fix it.

I just bet jaguar have a huge price tag on the cable, i dont listen to the radio very often but its still feature i want. I also couldnt find the cable online used.

any help would be great dont want the bride to want the radio on the way to the church

Old 04-28-2013, 02:43 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm not sure of which connector your radio takes. But there are a few repair kits on ebay. At worst case you could buy an extension or adapter cable and do a splice. Had to do that for a restoration once.

Here's a googled link with some basics.
Splicing Coax - Laser Pointers

Only difference I made is to save a bit of the center insulator and split it lengthwise to cover the center conductor repair. The shield conductors from both sides were then laid over each other and the repair then tack soldered. A bit of adhesive lined shrink tubing and the repair was done. You could also smear on a bit of top and trim adhesive (or your favorite goo) and use regular heat shrink. The repair should be strong and moisture proof.

Old 04-30-2013, 12:55 AM
Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

Thanks for the info did little more searching and found some high end vw use same style cable it's called a fakra connector. There are loads of different types they are most commonly used for GPS antennas. Phoned jaguar they want £75 uk queens money's , but could get just the connector on eBay for £1.75.