XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

car starts intermittently

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2012, 11:46 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default car starts intermittently

My XJ8 is still at Jaguar Dubai as it refused to start again. I have had a new battery put in and the car was fine for two days until it refused to start again. It had to be towed again to Jaguar. At the same time the car suspension which had been fixed 3 weeks prior (new air compressor,new upper arms, new air cushion) was still not right. It has just been adjusted properly now.Jaguar says the car is starting up everytime, no faulty codes are shown.They now have had the car for over a week and it is starting everytime.

My questions are:
1.Could the fact that the suspension was not right (car was too low) have a bearing on the car not starting up ?

2.Jaguar Dubai says that unless the car does not start it is not possible to figure out the fault.

I know they have been talking to Jaguar UK to try to get some help. Diagnosis are being sent to the UK for advice.Jaguar UK says it could be a problem with the start up module but is not sure 100% as they await other tests but Jaguar Dubai says as the car starts they cannot produce anymore tests. Is this true ?

I am seriously thinking of shipping the car to jaguar UK. I am sure they would fixed it in a gif!

Old 07-07-2012, 04:20 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,462 Likes on 1,956 Posts

Best to wait until Jaguar UK come back with the possibilities to your dealer. From what you say, the car is now starting OK at the dealers. Don't go spending megabucks yet, these things tend to be something small.

Old 08-12-2012, 11:34 AM
Default update to the thread 'car starts intermittently'

After 7 weeks at the dealership and numerous tests and enrolling the help of Jaguar UK in the process I got the car back.

Here are the checks that were performed and the repairs done:

1.battery was new and found not defective
2.checked wiring between IPK and key transformer-all connectors and pin were ok
3.needed a new body control module (cost $18,260)

FYI although I am not sure there is a direct link between needing a new air compressor, new air cushions and upper arms assembly, a new battery and a new body control module all in the space of 5 weeks, I thought I would mention it in case other posters are having similar issues with their car.

Today (after getting back the car yesterday), I discovered the glove box is not closing anymore so it is back for investigations!

Old 08-12-2012, 04:53 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,388 Likes on 1,495 Posts

Originally Posted by fjcruiser
3.needed a new body control module (cost $18,260)
I assume that is Dirhams but that is still a lot of money!

Old 08-12-2012, 05:22 PM
Gus
Veteran Member
Received 2,216 Likes on 1,703 Posts

The car not starting could be a number of things but the primary are fuel and spark. You say they replaced upper control arm? With the pounding to the frame may have dislodged a relay or fuse. Another place to check is the neutral selector switch it seems that has been an issue in the past.

Last edited by Gus; 09-13-2012 at 08:03 PM.
Old 08-13-2012, 05:40 AM

jahummer, sorry multiplied by x-change rate instead of dividing.So the module cost was $1,355.Still a lot of money!

Gus, everything got checked, fuse and the likes. In the end Jaguar UK gave its verdict and the body control module had to be replaced.To be fair, when Jaguar Dubai asked for Jaguar UK to help out, Jaguar UK suspected 2 parts could be at fault (one of which being the one I needed replaced) but they had to make sure hence the 7 weeks testing of all other possibilities first.Jaguar Dubai said they had never encountered this kind of problems before. I guess most people in Dubai will buy a jaguar new, keep it for the duration of the warranty and sell it. Most of them will get exported to other GCC countries so you will never know what kind of issues these cars could come up with.

Old 09-13-2012, 02:01 PM

As it were the new body module control which was replaced due to the car failing to start, happened to be defective hence why the glove box compartment isn't closing. It is being replaced under warranty on Tuesday (a new body module control had to be ordered from the UK - it took 2 weeks).Let's hope that I have another 2 years of enjoyable motoring in my XJ8 before I decide to sell it.