XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Case of the Unknown Coolant Hose (2003 X350 XJR)

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2016, 07:24 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Case of the Unknown Coolant Hose (2003 X350 XJR)

I've had an unusual issue that I can't seem to find any mention of on the forums history. I was wondering if anyone has any similar experience that might be insightful...

I have an X350 - 2003 XJR - 4.2 S/C. One of the earlier VIN numbers.

I recently had a overheating issue that ended up being two blown head gaskets and warped heads, cracked header tank too. So, in the car went to the garage.

In the course of the repairs the found that many of the coolant hoses showed signs of degradation. Softening, bulging and even some breakdown of the rubber. So all the hoses got changed too...except one.

The big giant octopus like hose didn't match the part called up by the main dealers VIN search. 3 separate attempts were made, and each time the same incorrect hose came through. On the last attempt the dealer actually sent though a complete set of hoses just to be assured that nothing was missing.

The garage was at a loss to explain this. They have re-assembled the system so that I can drive the car with the one old hose in place. They have advised that if I can find the right part, they will fit it for free. However.... I don't see how I can get the right part. If the VIN number calls up the wrong hose...what are my alternatives?

Can anyone advise why an early X350 XJR might have a different coolant hose on it?

I'm at a complete loss. I've had to do a fair bit of work to keep the car running, including a fairly expensive head gasket change now. Totally exhausted to be honest!

Old 06-20-2016, 07:30 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,756 Likes on 1,327 Posts

Any chance of a picture of the hose or description?

I have just changed most of mine.

Old 06-20-2016, 07:36 AM

I wish I had a picture. Unfortunately I only saw it when I saw the heads stripped down, at that time there was no problem evident.

However, it looks to be about 5-7ft long when straight with several branches. It seems the only hose of this type in the whole system. All the others are short elbows, single hoses. Not this trunk and branch style. Hose diameter in the region of 2-3inches.

Old 06-20-2016, 07:46 AM
Received 50 Likes on 46 Posts

Curious of your car model. You mention 2003 and 4.2 liter engine, which is probably and 2004 model produced in the calendar year 2003. And if its an aluminum body X350, it would be a 2004 model year. I own an 2004 XJR which I believe was produced in October 2003.
When going through any major repair it is advisable to change out hoses in a vehicle and it is not surprising that the hoses are somewhat spongy.
The header tank (overflow?) tank on these vehicles all leak and running low on coolant as a result of a slow leak in the overflow tank may have been the cause of all you overheating problems. Mine was replaced perhaps 4-5 years back.

RyeJag

The following users liked this post:
jagdevsg (06-20-2016)
Old 06-20-2016, 07:54 AM

Hi RyeJag,

its a 2003 registered car. But in theory should match the 2004 car. Its an aluminum bodied car yes, but i have the V5 document here showing the 2003 registration.

In the UK its usually desirable to register the car as late as possible from the point of view of value, so I am fairly certain it came of the line and was purchased in 2003.

As you say, The hoses should be changed, and they all have been bar this one which I can't identify.

I saw that the header tank design has now been modified in the later years to use a better design. I could see this when i switched it out. The old part number has been cancelled and replaced with the newer one. No leaks now that I can see, but will be keeping an eye on it. Thanks for that. Could be critical.

I'd very much like to change this last hose, as it's striking me as a potential failure point. I don't want to end up with another pair of warped heads.

Old 06-20-2016, 07:58 AM

One other thing RyeJag.

Strangely the VIN number states a 73 number for body code. Based on what I understand, this code should not be possible on an early model car. I would have expected an 85.

73 is the right code if the car was made in 2006. That's as far as I understand anyway.

Old 06-20-2016, 08:14 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by jagdevsg
I wish I had a picture. Unfortunately I only saw it when I saw the heads stripped down, at that time there was no problem evident.

However, it looks to be about 5-7ft long when straight with several branches. It seems the only hose of this type in the whole system. All the others are short elbows, single hoses. Not this trunk and branch style. Hose diameter in the region of 2-3inches.
The longest hose on my 2005 XJR is a branched one that goes from the intercooler radiator up to the intercoolers for the supercharger, actually two of them. They are a much smaller diameter of about 1.5".

No other hose comes anywhere near the length of these.

A while ago I thought I needed a so called "octopus" hose since it had been mentioned quite a bit.

When I asked the question on here I did not get a reply and have since concluded it does not exist on my model car. It does seem to exist on the pre 2004 USA model.

What you describe "sounds like" this octopus hose?

jagdevsg (06-20-2016)
Old 06-20-2016, 08:40 AM

Originally Posted by jackra_1
The longest hose on my 2005 XJR is a branched one that goes from the intercooler radiator up to the intercoolers for the supercharger, actually two of them. They are a much smaller diameter of about 1.5".

No other hose comes anywhere near the length of these.

A while ago I thought I needed a so called "octopus" hose since it had been mentioned quite a bit.

When I asked the question on here I did not get a reply and have since concluded it does not exist on my model car. It does seem to exist on the pre 2004 USA model.

What you describe "sounds like" this octopus hose?

That's very interesting. I may be mistake with regards to hose diameters. I am basing it on memory made when I was not fully focussed on inspecting the overall shape of the hose.

Do you know where I could get information on this long hose on the early models? Is it perhaps a part from the X308 model that they tried to clear out before moving onto dedicated X350 equipment?

Old 06-20-2016, 08:48 AM

I'm going to try to see if I can take some photos from under the bonnet. I will revert.

Old 06-20-2016, 09:04 AM
Veteran Member

Jaguar Vanden Plas XJR 1998-2003 Lower Radiator Coolant Hose Uro MNC 4519AE

Search for the above on USA Ebay.

I think this is the "octopus" hose but not sure.

jagdevsg (06-20-2016)
Old 06-20-2016, 02:31 PM
Veteran Member
Received 592 Likes on 362 Posts

It is highly unlikely that you have a hose from a different model, and much more likely that the dealer just couldn't find the correct hose in the parts catalogue (the coolant hoses are split across at least 4 different sections - it is very illogical).

I will try and find the hose for you, but without a photo it is going to be very hard.

Please download the X350 tech quide PDF from this link:
http://www.jagrepair.com/images/Auto...ch%20Guide.pdf (Note it is 65MB)

Note that page numbers printed on the pages are not the same as the PDF page numbers, so when I give page numbers I give two numbers - the printed page number (and the PDF page number in brackets).

From page 53 (63) onwards the cooling systems are discussed.
Using the line diagrams on page 59 (69) and 60 (70) try and identify which hose you need. I often find it easier to use the second "flow" diagram to identify unknown hoses because you can more easily trace what the ends and branches connect to and then compare it to the line diagram.

Once you have identified the hose, or have an idea of a few it may be, private message me with the end of your VIN (e.g. G12345) and include either the hose number from the diagrams or the things it connects to and I will try and get you a part number or numbers. You can then compare with the parts your garage received to see if we can find one they haven't yet tried.

The following 3 users liked this post by xdave:
dishongphoto (05-10-2024), Don B (06-20-2016), jagdevsg (06-20-2016)
Old 06-20-2016, 04:07 PM
Veteran Member
Received 737 Likes on 465 Posts

Best advice I can give you, in the absence of pics, is to download and install JEPC (parts cat)

This has part numbers cross referenced to vin and pics
If you put it on your laptop take to the repairer or give him a copy
You can then order via the part number

Cheers
34by151

Don B (06-20-2016)
Old 06-20-2016, 07:48 PM

Originally Posted by xdave
It is highly unlikely that you have a hose from a different model, and much more likely that the dealer just couldn't find the correct hose in the parts catalogue (the coolant hoses are split across at least 4 different sections - it is very illogical).

I will try and find the hose for you, but without a photo it is going to be very hard.

Please download the X350 tech quide PDF from this link:
http://www.jagrepair.com/images/Auto...ch%20Guide.pdf (Note it is 65MB)

Note that page numbers printed on the pages are not the same as the PDF page numbers, so when I give page numbers I give two numbers - the printed page number (and the PDF page number in brackets).

From page 53 (63) onwards the cooling systems are discussed.
Using the line diagrams on page 59 (69) and 60 (70) try and identify which hose you need. I often find it easier to use the second "flow" diagram to identify unknown hoses because you can more easily trace what the ends and branches connect to and then compare it to the line diagram.

Once you have identified the hose, or have an idea of a few it may be, private message me with the end of your VIN (e.g. G12345) and include either the hose number from the diagrams or the things it connects to and I will try and get you a part number or numbers. You can then compare with the parts your garage received to see if we can find one they haven't yet tried.

Thank you very much. I will do just that then. I'm going to speak with the garage tomorrow to try to confirm which part numbers they already tried and if they can confirm the hoses in question. In the meantime I will examine the car myself while referring to the tech guide.

This might take a few days with work keeping me busy. Sorry about that. Will revert as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

Old 06-20-2016, 10:18 PM
Received 12,942 Likes on 6,466 Posts

Hi jagdevsg,

Here's the link to the thread that will show you how to download and install the Jaguar Electronic Parts Catalog mentioned by 34by51:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...uctions-48194/

Once I find a part number on the EPC, I search it at jaguarmerriamparts.com or gaudinjaguarparts.com to see if there have been any supersessions leading to a newer part number. Until you install the EPC, you can do all your searching at the online dealers, but their online parts diagrams are not always as complete as the EPC.

Cheers,

Don

jagdevsg (06-21-2016)
Old 06-21-2016, 08:01 PM

Originally Posted by Don B
Hi jagdevsg,

Here's the link to the thread that will show you how to download and install the Jaguar Electronic Parts Catalog mentioned by 34by51:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...uctions-48194/

Once I find a part number on the EPC, I search it at jaguarmerriamparts.com or gaudinjaguarparts.com to see if there have been any supersessions leading to a newer part number. Until you install the EPC, you can do all your searching at the online dealers, but their online parts diagrams are not always as complete as the EPC.

Cheers,

Don
Thank you for that Don. Much appreciated.

I called the garage today for some clarifications and the guy advised that it was in fact two hoses, and not one that they couldn't replace. He advised their approximate position so that I may located them. I had a look today, but didn't have much time. I could not locate them.

I'm going to have a chance for a proper inspection on Thursday. Will get back on here to advise situation then.

Thank you for all the help so far. All of you guys!

jagdev

Old 06-21-2016, 08:17 PM
Veteran Member

That makes a lot more sense now.

I am totally amazed that they could not locate these hoses. I located all of mine on Ebay without too much trouble.

I only bought from 3 suppliers based upon their Ebay diagrams and actual pictures.

Old 06-26-2016, 07:38 AM

Sorry for the delay gents,

some developments:

Car wouldn't start due to "steering column locked". That wasted a day. Back on the road again and had a chance to check the hoses.

I can't see any bad hoses at all at the moment. I'm wondering if the garage didn't intend to change the lot and then think better of it for lack of time. It's going to have to be the following weekend before I jack it up to have a more careful look from underneath.

I also have to change some suspension bushes. I've never had a car that's so much work to keep on the road!

Thank you for all your kind help so far. I will be going through the technical guide in detail over the week and will revert back with my findings after i get a good look next weekend.