XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

CATS system fault---amber warning light won't reset on dash

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2016, 07:22 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default CATS system fault---amber warning light won't reset on dash

Hey guys....

I know that this topic has been kicked around quite a bit....but I have had this pesky annoyance with the amber "CATS system fault" displaying on my dash for the last couple of years. After several attempts of everything I have seen posted I have just about given up....I refuse to go the "*******".

I'm like that guy that never asks for directions and will drive around for hours rather than ask for help or use GPS...well...here goes again....lol

Anyway...I got my front air shocks replaced from Arnott recently and figured that would take care of the problem...I then reset all of the fault codes using OBD2 with JLR 139....and still....I have the same problem....just unreal that I can't figure this thing out...

Suggestions??

Signed totally at wits end!!!

Old 05-29-2016, 05:11 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,456 Likes on 1,952 Posts

OK, so what did the fault codes tell you, if anything ? Just clearing them down without interpreting them won't necessarily fix the problem.

If any of the four shock absorbers can't be "seen" by the CATS module, you'll get a fault display. I can bring up a CATS fault message just by disconnecting one of the plugs to the shocks in the engine compartment. It disappears when I plug it back in.

The Arnott units don't support CATS, but have "spoofing" to make the CATS module think they do. So the problem could lie else where such as the integrity of the wiring to each shock unit.

The following users liked this post:
STRACAT (05-30-2016)
Old 05-30-2016, 09:54 AM
Veteran Member
Received 444 Likes on 281 Posts

I second what Fraser posted--the CATS fault will go away immediately when the issue is resolved. An OBDII scanner won't even read the C codes on these vehicles, so that's no use here.

You need Jaguar SDD (or an equivalent aftermarket reader) in order to solve this issue.

Old 06-16-2016, 07:11 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

hello

i posted my recent experience about it today.
read my post.
did the light appear just after replacing with Arnott springs ?

Rgds

TB

Old 06-17-2016, 02:01 PM

Yes that's exactly what happened

Old 06-18-2016, 10:59 AM
Veteran Member
Received 325 Likes on 198 Posts

It is the sensor in one or both of the air struts. Had the same problem. They were kind and sent me a free replacement sensor once I had proven to them that the sensor was defective (I have a thread on this forum on this topic)

Arnott's air shocks, imho, have been crap for me. They will start making noises within the strut themselves and you will blame and replace everything else in the front suspension until there is nothing else to replace. Once you realize that it is the shocks you're out a significant load of money. And if you are not the original purchaser, you're out of luck.

Be aware!

The following users liked this post:
STRACAT (06-19-2016)
Old 06-19-2016, 07:55 AM
Default Thanks again...

Yes!!!....I had read your thread before....I have the new sensors in my garage (Arnott sent them to me at no charge a few weeks back....I wonder why....hmmmmmm???)...was hoping it wasn't going to be that. I will get to installing them eventually.

In the mean time....my air suspension and CATS warning lights are still amber with the front height too low (I was able to raise it some with the SDD JLR 139 Chinese crack software on my laptop....but it's still not to spec). As I recall from other forum members....The height spec for the air shocks on the XJ8 350 (VDP) should be 386mm for the front and 373mm for the rear. But my sensor is all out of whack or not in the correct positioning....Unreal!

And yes...You are right again....I have replaced all the suspension parts on the front end (upper and lower control arms, tie rods and ball joints too...lol).

Even though the car is sitting a bit too low (maybe 2 inches from the front tires) the car rides like a dream again with the new Arnott air shocks which I have been pleased with...no noises....just the annoyance from the warning lights. Although...I had the front end aligned from the folks that installed the control arms. They messed with the positioning of the front sensor clip (I guess when they took it off the old control arm and reinstalled it)....I had to bend the arm down to make the front end go up (if that makes any sense to you) from where when they installed the new control arm the height of the front end was too low when they finished the job....unreal!!!!! I haven't wanted to mess with that sensor too much because I was afraid I would break it....and of course I couldn't get any recourse from the ASE authorized mechanics that don't have the correct Jaguar tools to raise/lower my vehicle.....Unreal again!!!

Don't want to....but maybe I will take it to the dealer one day and get all these annoying things fixed.

Thanks again!!!

Old 06-20-2016, 07:11 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default we all face sames issues

Car front too low was my previous challenge last year as well as rattling noise on bumps and road bumps.
i ordered all set of bushings and arms and made it installed by a small garage .
i also replaced the compressor which was gone.

Now it's fine, but riding height i don't know if it is as per jaguar specs, i will measure it .
would riding height below specs create some trouble or damage anything prematurely ? any one knows ?

thanks

TB