XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

CD player replacement

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2021, 11:43 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default CD player replacement

Hi everyone!

I attempted to do the add-an-aux mod to my CD player myself, and . . . lets just say that my appetite was bigger than my stomach on this one. Unfortunately in the clumsy process I ruined my previously perfect CD player. I added a signature, but it doesn't always come up on my posts. So, if it can't be seen, I have a 2004 XJR with the Alpine system in it.

Now, because I ruined the CD player, I don't have any radios functionality in the car anymore. It seems it is the central processor for all radio functions. I am looking to source a replacement on eBay right now, but the two best options came from cars that *did not* have the Alpine system in them. Does this matter? Do I need to have a replacement CD player that came from a car with the Alpine system?

Thanks in advance!

Adam

Old 09-30-2021, 12:24 PM
Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

I looked into that when I bought my X350 in 2013. IIRC, the OEM CD player encrypts its data and sends it out to the speakers on fiber-optics using a proprietary communications standard, for the sole purpose of ensuring you can never buy a non-OEM stereo or non-OEM speakers, because they want you to buy their overpriced USB interface and their overpriced speakers instead. There no conceivable valid security need to encrypt the audio between your CD player and your speakers.

But my conclusion at the time was that, Yes, you need an OEM CD player. (Possibly an Alpine player made for a Mercedes or something might work.) There is no way to change it, and no way to attach an aux input AFAIK. All you can do is buy the Jaguar USB stick input, which cost $500 in 2013 and can store only 99 MP3 files. (It can store more, but the playback software will glitch if there are more than 99 tracks.) Or, get the OEM trunk CD changer. I think I had the trunk CD changer, but had to uninstall it to install the USB stick interface.

The following 2 users liked this post by Xeno:
acharner (09-30-2021), paydase (10-21-2021)
Old 09-30-2021, 01:20 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,060 Likes on 851 Posts

you can just bypass the MOST connector and restore the bus they sell the loop for like 5 dollars

The following users liked this post:
acharner (09-30-2021)
Old 09-30-2021, 02:12 PM
Received 60 Likes on 46 Posts

When you are back up and have sound, try the inexpensive USB bluetooth cigar plugs from amazon. They are cheap like $20, and i use it in the XJ and it sounds great. Doesn't match the audio quality of an AUX cable, but close enough to avoid the large cost.

acharner (09-30-2021)
Old 09-30-2021, 02:38 PM

aceler8 totally fair. In hindsight that's what I should have done. I have done some electronics work before, but I think my impatience got the best of me on this one, and at the sacrifice of the CD player.

Old 10-03-2021, 04:08 PM
Received 235 Likes on 182 Posts

Originally Posted by Xeno
... the OEM CD player encrypts its data and sends it out to the speakers on fiber-optics using a proprietary communications standard, for the sole purpose of ensuring you can never buy a non-OEM stereo or non-OEM speakers, because they want you to buy their overpriced USB interface and their overpriced speakers instead. There no conceivable valid security need to encrypt the audio between your CD player and your speakers...
The fiber optic system is not so much "encryption" as "encoding." It carries more than just audio, it carries commands and information between the head unit and the components, as well. There is no copper wire between the head unit, the CD changer, and the amplifier. You press 5 on the keypad to select disc 5, that command goes out on the fiber. The information from the changer about which disc and track your on comes in to the head unit over the fiber. I think balance, fader, and volume command to the amp also goes out the fiber, but I'm not sure on that one; the levels might just be set in the head unit and encoded to the selected settings. There's more going on in the fiber than just audio, and it's not like a toslink connection in your home audio system at all.

Edited to add:
Originally Posted by acharner
Do I need to have a replacement CD player that came from a car with the Alpine system?
I'm seeing several on eBay in the 55-65 dollar range. If it has the CDC button on it, you're good to go. You only need the bottom part, but many come with the display panel above it as well, which is fine. Your display should work with a new player section.

Last edited by wfooshee; 10-04-2021 at 08:24 AM.
Old 10-16-2021, 09:21 AM

I just wanted to circle back here and let everyone know that I ended up buying a replacement CD player off eBay. I made sure to get a "b-series" CD player, which is what was in my car. I know there are "a-series" and "b-series," like AK, AJ, AM, and BK, BJ, BM. I got the replacement, plugged it in, and it worked right away. I didn't even need to worry about having a dealer code or anything like that.

It's great to have radio again!

Thanks for the info here though, folks!

Lucielle (10-23-2021)
Old 10-17-2021, 05:49 PM

Glad to hear your back up and going...i unplugged my CD Changer from the 'chain' to regain sound from the broken CD Changer, but now i want the changer back. I'm going the e bay route. Guess i should pull the old changer to ensure i get the correct replacement. I didn't realize there were so many different units.

Lucielle (10-23-2021)
Old 10-20-2021, 12:38 PM

I purchased a used CD Changer on the bay....i did remove my broken player to ensure i get the numbers correct. I expected based on the year 2005, the changer would end in 'AB', but it does not appear to be based on the car year. My changer number ends in 'AC'
XJ Year: 2005
Part#: 1X43-18C830-AC
Made in Hungry
Date: 2004.AP.NOVEMBER

Yeah, i'm old school and like the sound of CDs. I stream music using a bluetooth 12v plug-in.

Lucielle (10-23-2021)