XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

CDC options

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2008, 08:06 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CDC options

Greetings all!

This is my first post to the forums. Being a new 2004 XJ8 owner, I have found some great insight here to a car that I am truly loving. I was hoping to pick the more experienced brains here for some help.

I have the upgraded Alpine audio system and GPS with the 6-disk CD Changer in the trunk. I am looking at Sirius or iPod options. But something that occurred to me that I haven't seen discussed. Is there an option to change the CDC to be able to read mp3 files? Or an option that uses the CDC cabling/interface to directly connect an audio source to the head unit?

The FM transmitter options I have seen are hardly sound worthy, and the CDC interface was direct. Even if the head unit had no display interaction at least it would be using line input rather than an FM station.

Don't know if this was ever discussed but thought someone might have some insight or experience. Thanks. Looking forward to more great information.

- Baltojeff

Old 12-10-2008, 10:22 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,202 Likes on 933 Posts
Default RE: CDC options

Wondered that myself. I don't think there is an option to do so. Satellite radio can be done easily. If my car becomes a daily driver, I intend to put Satellite radio in behind the center ashtray.

Old 03-18-2009, 01:17 PM
Default Sirius install

So, since this IS my daily driver, I went ahead and got Sirius installed. Used the direct antenna attachment and vehicle kit. I got the Stratus 5 Dock and Vehicle kit. (one of the least expensive they had).

Had a local stereo place install it. Take out the ashtray and the base unit slots right in the existing hole left under the tray. The sirius unit is tilted back and screwed in from below for a solid mount. The retracting cover still totally works and the head unit can still be removed to go to another car.

It's easy to see when driving, easy to reach and I can cover it up when parked. Very subtle. Lastly, they put the antenna on the dash by the passenger side. I get a drop every now and then, but really not noticeable (no worse that passing big trees or an overpass)..

All in all, very happy with the whole thing!

Old 03-19-2009, 07:38 AM

audio connectivity module. it installs in the storage area between the seats and accepts i-pod, mp3 players and USB . Plays thru the car audio system and can be controlled via the steering wheel controls or head unit.

Old 03-30-2009, 09:11 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Which "audio connectivity module" are you speaking of? I have a 05 XJ, with the base stereo and no changer, and I'm looking into either adding a changer or using an ipod or hard drive of some sort. Is there a way to get Sirius and the ability to plug in an ipod or other hard drive source?

Tony

97 XK8
05 XJ8L

Old 03-30-2009, 10:57 PM
Received 120 Likes on 95 Posts

The audio connectivity module is OEM Jaguar accesory a dealer can install. It allows you to connect an iPod or other USB MP3 player to the audio system.

Jaguar also offers Sirius module, but that has FM transmitter and is as good as any other satellite add-on, except perhaps for the cleaner install.

For more info check the "accessories" section on the Jaguar web site.

Besides OEM accessories your options are limited as the audio system does not have any analog audio inputs you can tap into.

Last edited by veffremov; 03-30-2009 at 10:59 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 03-31-2009, 09:29 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the reply. I read somewhere else on the forum that the audio connectivity module is around $300. I could get a CDC from a salvage yard for about $200, but the audio connectivity module might be a better option. I would think that the sound quality from either source (CDC or ipod) would be about the same, wouldn't you think? I know that mp3 formats are compressed, but with a car stereo, I don't think I'd notice like on my home audiofile quality system.

BTW, I still can't believe that I have such a sorry base model audio system in my XJ8L! The local stereo shop removed the door panel the other day to take a look at the factory 6" speaker, and I've seen more high quality speakers in a Pontiac. Maybe the VDP would have been the smarter choice. I think I might replace the factory speakers and add a good quality amp to run them. I'll still miss out on the factory installed subwoofer.....unless I can find one in a salvage yard....hummmm......any thoughts?

Old 04-01-2009, 01:19 AM
Received 120 Likes on 95 Posts

Some people on the forum have commented that the ACM is very limited use without the Nav touch screen. Supposedly the UI is not very rich and you need pre-defined playlists on the iPod. I don't have it so I can't be of much assistance there.

The sound quality should be fine it plugs in the optical data bus, which carries audio and other stuff, it is not the "FM transmitter" type.

The VDP comes with the "premium" sound system, speakers and amp are Alpine. It sound fine to me, but I'm not very picky.

I think someone tried to upgrade from the regular to the premium sound. You need to re-wire the whole car (premium amp is in the trunk, regular is in the head unit). May be it's not worth the effort.

You can upgrade the speakers, that's the easy part. Ask in the "electronics" section, there are people very passionate about speaker selection.

Old 04-01-2009, 03:26 PM
Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by baltojeff
So, since this IS my daily driver, I went ahead and got Sirius installed. Used the direct antenna attachment and vehicle kit. I got the Stratus 5 Dock and Vehicle kit. (one of the least expensive they had).

Had a local stereo place install it. Take out the ashtray and the base unit slots right in the existing hole left under the tray. The sirius unit is tilted back and screwed in from below for a solid mount. The retracting cover still totally works and the head unit can still be removed to go to another car.

It's easy to see when driving, easy to reach and I can cover it up when parked. Very subtle. Lastly, they put the antenna on the dash by the passenger side. I get a drop every now and then, but really not noticeable (no worse that passing big trees or an overpass)..

All in all, very happy with the whole thing!
can you post a pic of you satellite receiver mounted in the ash tray area? I want to do the same thing but did not think it would fit with the dock thing it comes with... you can email me a pic too if you cant host it and I will.