XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Charger when using IDS/SDD

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2016, 08:50 PM
Received 243 Likes on 146 Posts

Haha my bad. Yep, 30 amp would be enough for yours. That unit you posted puts out a continuous 30 amps...I dunno about the rest of its stats, but it looks like it should work.

Old 11-19-2016, 04:01 AM
Box
Veteran Member
Received 643 Likes on 416 Posts

Sean, the one you have selected has about 150mVp/p noise. Most low cost switching supplies are between 120~150mVp/p ripple. (just to contrast with a linear supply which is generally less than 10mVp/p range) High quality switching supplies can be found with almost that low of noise as a linear, but they won't be that cheap. The Midtronics are advertised less than 50mVp/p noise, and why they cost as much as they do, and why I use a linear supply. The Astron SS-30 I suggested is about 60mVp/p. When I use mine, and the battery is in a fairly charged state, it draws about 15~20 amps from the supply when in use with SDD. 4mm wire is about the same as 8 gauge, and can handle upwards of 50 amps.

However, just to keep this in some sort of perspective, regular battery chargers have multiple volts, not millivolts of ripple, no filtering and incredible 60Hz noise. This is completely unacceptable for use with SDD.

So now comes the question, "would I use it on my XJ" and the answer is it is infinitely better than using a battery charger. If I had no other choice, then yes I would, however, that isn't the choice. You get what you pay for.

Last edited by Box; 11-19-2016 at 08:24 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Sean W (11-19-2016)
Old 11-19-2016, 11:35 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,261 Likes on 2,381 Posts

Thanks Box. I didn't see the high ripple and noise when I looked.

The charger works fine for me when I'm running SDD diagnostics and was fine for setting up my ACM, but I wouldn't rely on it for re-flashing or programming anything.

Also re-flashing of anything isn't something I would likely need to do (perhaps the TCM)

That said, I'd rather be prepped than not. I can't find the K5DBX. Looks like radio Shack no longer carries it. I think I'll chase the Astron SS 30 as there are plenty used ones on eBay for under $100 shipped.

Old 11-19-2016, 11:58 AM
Veteran Member
Received 342 Likes on 260 Posts

Originally Posted by Box
Sean, the one you have selected has about 150mVp/p noise. Most low cost switching supplies are between 120~150mVp/p ripple. (just to contrast with a linear supply which is generally less than 10mVp/p range) High quality switching supplies can be found with almost that low of noise as a linear, but they won't be that cheap. The Midtronics are advertised less than 50mVp/p noise, and why they cost as much as they do, and why I use a linear supply. The Astron SS-30 I suggested is about 60mVp/p. When I use mine, and the battery is in a fairly charged state, it draws about 15~20 amps from the supply when in use with SDD. 4mm wire is about the same as 8 gauge, and can handle upwards of 50 amps.

However, just to keep this in some sort of perspective, regular battery chargers have multiple volts, not millivolts of ripple, no filtering and incredible 60Hz noise. This is completely unacceptable for use with SDD.

So now comes the question, "would I use it on my XJ" and the answer is it is infinitely better than using a battery charger. If I had no other choice, then yes I would, however, that isn't the choice. You get what you pay for.
You are right and the cheap one I bought is certainly in this 150 mVp/p range.
Do you think that such voltage fluctuations could put some risks during e.g. reprogramming?
On the other hand, wouldn't the battery itself (to which the power supply is connected during the process) act as kind of damper/regulator for voltage during the process?

Old 11-19-2016, 01:38 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by paydase
On the other hand, wouldn't the battery itself (to which the power supply is connected during the process) act as kind of damper/regulator for voltage during the process?
I was wondering the same but assumed by Box's feedback, this wouldn't be the case. Admittedly and obviously, I lack the proper understanding to come to my own conclusion.

Old 11-19-2016, 01:41 PM
Box
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by paydase
You are right and the cheap one I bought is certainly in this 150 mVp/p range.
Do you think that such voltage fluctuations could put some risks during e.g. reprogramming?
Just so we are clear to Jaguar's documents, and I recommend reading it, as it will give you a good idea for practices no matter what PS you may choose to use;

http://www.jagrepair.com/images/TSB/...3/1-224NAS.pdf

Now having said that, will a switching power supply that is in the 150mVp/p cause so much noise as to cause programming failures? More than likely not. Would a supply with half of that noise be better? Yup. That's where the recommended one is. Would a supply with 5~10mVp/p be the best? Absolutely. You need one that has enough current capacity, and voltage to keep it above 13.4v, and I prefer 13.8v.

Is any of the above infinitely better than using a battery charger? Without doubt, and never use a regular battery charger. They have no regulation, input or output filtering, surge protection or A/C filtering. (the kind of "charger" we are all used to thinking of them as, as there are some newer switching power supplies that have been adapted for charging purposes and upwards of $1000)

Last edited by Box; 11-19-2016 at 01:56 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Box:
paydase (11-19-2016), Sean W (11-19-2016)
Old 11-19-2016, 02:56 PM
Box
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Sean W
Thanks Box. I didn't see the high ripple and noise when I looked.

The charger works fine for me when I'm running SDD diagnostics and was fine for setting up my ACM, but I wouldn't rely on it for re-flashing or programming anything.

Also re-flashing of anything isn't something I would likely need to do (perhaps the TCM)

That said, I'd rather be prepped than not. I can't find the K5DBX. Looks like radio Shack no longer carries it. I think I'll chase the Astron SS 30 as there are plenty used ones on eBay for under $100 shipped.
Sean, my FCC assigned call-sign for my station is K5DBX. The room in which a radio operator keeps his transmitter and other radio equipment is called his "radio shack"... I make no claim to the electronics retailer under the same name. (grin)

Old 11-21-2016, 01:57 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Box
Sean, my FCC assigned call-sign for my station is K5DBX. The room in which a radio operator keeps his transmitter and other radio equipment is called his "radio shack"... I make no claim to the electronics retailer under the same name. (grin)
Oh geez. Now I'm thoroughly embarrassed:_0

Well I picked an Astron SS-30 13.8v power supply on eBay for $65. (not the M model) Once I get it in my hands I look at the connectors to determine how best fit gauge wire and alligator clamps.

Probably these unless someone has a more experienced suggestion.
Car 3cm Jaw Electric Alligator Clip Battery Test Clamp Cable Black Red 30A 2pcs | eBay

Keep in mind my intent is merely to supply power while diagnosing and clearing codes. I may re-flash the TCM. I'd refresh other modules based on emergent need but have no desire to mess with anything that isn't defective anyway.

Last edited by Sean W; 11-21-2016 at 02:00 PM.
Old 11-21-2016, 03:27 PM
Box
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Sean W
Oh geez. Now I'm thoroughly embarrassed:_0

Well I picked an Astron SS-30 13.8v power supply on eBay for $65. (not the M model) Once I get it in my hands I look at the connectors to determine how best fit gauge wire and alligator clamps.

Probably these unless someone has a more experienced suggestion.
Car 3cm Jaw Electric Alligator Clip Battery Test Clamp Cable Black Red 30A 2pcs | eBay

Keep in mind my intent is merely to supply power while diagnosing and clearing codes. I may re-flash the TCM. I'd refresh other modules based on emergent need but have no desire to mess with anything that isn't defective anyway.
Sean, you insert the wire into the rear of the supply into posts that use a set-screw. Stick with your previous choice on the 4mm cables. You should be just fine with the Astron.

Sean W (11-21-2016)
Old 12-19-2016, 08:27 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,382 Likes on 1,492 Posts

How about these?

https://www.amazon.com/TekPower-TP30.../dp/B00L2M2Y5O

https://www.amazon.com/TekPower-TP30...5%3A2470955011

30amps

Ripple voltage: less than 80mVp-p at rated load

or

https://www.amazon.com/TekPower-TP50...X26832WPHX2N37

50 amps

Ripple voltage: less than 100mVp-p at rated load

Old 12-20-2016, 05:32 AM
Veteran Member
Received 342 Likes on 260 Posts

Following good advice provided by Box, I bit the bullet and jumped on this Astron VS-50M linear power supply.
I was lucky to source a used one in good shape for EUR 100, that's rare in Europe. This stuff weighs ...23 kg. While I can keep in the car my light chinese PS, this one will remain in the garage, for sure!
Should be perfect for any safe programming on the X350: up to 50 amps, 37 amps 24/7

Attached Thumbnails Charger when using IDS/SDD-astron-vs-50m.jpg  
Sean W (12-20-2016)
Old 12-30-2016, 08:23 AM
Veteran Member

In my continued quest for something more reasonable than the Midtronics, I found that CTEK makes a few power supply units, a couple of versions of a 25amp and a 40amp:

MXS 25

MXTS 40

They state these are ideal for showrooms and diagnostic workshops, however when I contacted them to clarify what the specific ripple was, the reply was "very low", less than 544mV DC @ 13.6volts. Compared to what I have seen discussed here, isn't that considered very high? Why would they manufacture & market a product like that with such high MSRPs? Am I missing something?

Old 01-01-2017, 09:02 AM
Box
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by jahummer
In my continued quest for something more reasonable than the Midtronics, I found that CTEK makes a few power supply units, a couple of versions of a 25amp and a 40amp:

MXS 25

MXTS 40

They state these are ideal for showrooms and diagnostic workshops, however when I contacted them to clarify what the specific ripple was, the reply was "very low", less than 544mV DC @ 13.6volts. Compared to what I have seen discussed here, isn't that considered very high? Why would they manufacture & market a product like that with such high MSRPs? Am I missing something?
Battery conditioners/chargers do not perform the same, and while that much ripple is okay for charging, it should not be used for programming or use with SDD.

jahummer (01-01-2017)
Old 01-01-2017, 04:34 PM
Veteran Member

After spending probably way too much time researching power supply options I have located several more options including the Midtronics PSC-550S marketed under another name for less than half the price!

IOTA DLS-55 around $160 (not including battery cables) has identical specs as the Midtronics including less than 50mV P-P RMS ripple noise - see comparison pics below

Also BK Precision makes a 40 amp model 1692 with digital display & less than 10mV P-P RMS ripple for under $300

Amazon Amazon

Stinger/Kinetik offer a few options of 40-80 amp for around $200 that look suspiciously like the Midtronics PSC-700S

https://www.caraudiodistributors.com...-supplies.html

And finally a local company offers a complete package with cables they claim is equivalent to Midtronics and OEM specified for Mercedes, BMW, Audi etc also for around $200

PMBC-12 Volt - Power Max Converters

stham (03-21-2018)