XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

clear coat DIY

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2017, 02:27 PM
Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Default clear coat DIY

The roof of my 04 XJ is fading away. Closer look, the clear coat has evaporated, leaving behind a dull British Racing Green. Looking at a YouTube video or two and I learn that there is available a "2K" aerosol wherein you mix part a and b right in the can itself. It is stronger that way and can produce near superior results. About 20 buckaroo and plenty enough for three coats up on the roof y'all.

Can't wait to give it a spray to harmonize the exterior !!!!

Old 06-10-2017, 06:33 PM
Received 112 Likes on 89 Posts

If that's the paint I'm thinking about be very careful read the instructions

Old 06-10-2017, 07:40 PM

Originally Posted by clifton94
If that's the paint I'm thinking about be very careful read the instructions
Don't have product yet, but do have a decent respirator, that what you mean?

Old 06-10-2017, 10:02 PM
Received 133 Likes on 81 Posts

I've used that stuff when I only have a small panel to do and I don't want to setup/clean my guns. Works really good if you know what you're doing! You will want a respirator since it is 2K and therefore has all those wonderful chemicals in there. Also, I don't know exactly how big the cans you are getting are, but I would say to do the entire roof properly (two coats) you will need at least 3-4 cans, maybe more. You don't want to be in the middle of the job and realize your short! Best advice I can give is make sure to prep really good. Make sure to sand smooth with 400 grit and get any peeling clear off (careful not to go through the base coat). Clean it good, tape it off and then go for it. As long as you are careful, it can be done. Hey, I've resprayed my SV8 in an old garage, a mustang twice and am just working on our STR getting ready to paint it (hail claim) amoung other random panels on many other cars. Have fun! In the end, even if it goes wrong, you can always sand it down again and try all over again. That's how I learned.

The following users liked this post:
paydase (06-11-2017)
Old 06-11-2017, 07:48 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,756 Likes on 1,327 Posts

As WinterJag says "prep really good". I have resprayed a Porche 911S and a Jaguar XJS.

My XJS was brown and I decided I wanted white.

Currently eradicating two hood dings I collected a few days ago on my XJR.

Patience and prep are very important.

Old 06-12-2017, 09:49 AM

If it takes say three cans, I may farm it.

Old 06-12-2017, 05:41 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,456 Likes on 1,952 Posts

Originally Posted by romroc
The roof of my 04 XJ is fading away. Closer look, the clear coat has evaporated, leaving behind a dull British Racing Green. Looking at a YouTube video or two and I learn that there is available a "2K" aerosol wherein you mix part a and b right in the can itself. It is stronger that way and can produce near superior results. About 20 buckaroo and plenty enough for three coats up on the roof y'all.

Can't wait to give it a spray to harmonize the exterior !!!!
The clear-coat does not evaporate, it goes dull and can start peeling or cracking. I assume you live somewhere that gets a LOT of sunshine, becasue my 2003 was still perfect, but I live in England, land of rain and fog !!
It is the Ultraviolet light in sunlight that kills off car paint eventually and fades the colours. This can take many years and in places with little sunshine, may be decades.

If you're going to DIY it, you need to get all the old clearcoat off.This will be difficult to do without removing some of the basecoat, so probably best to get a reputable paint shop to do the job.

Old 06-12-2017, 07:28 PM

Greetings and Cheers! Best part of all is that base BRG can be restored. That is mildly exciting, and a calming effect on the budget, lol Jag though worn a bit still special, hope that Richard Hammond OK.