XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Climate Control Issues

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2012, 11:10 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Climate Control Issues

I have a 2005 XJR. My driver side climate control will not match the temp setting. I turn it up to 80 and it blows luke warm. Turn it down to 60 and blows ice cold. It won't get hot as it should at higher temps. Passenger side does the opposite. At 60 it stays warm, and 80 its very hot. Should be ice cold at 60.... The dealer said that there are 4 air blenders on this car, i,e for the 4 zones. Dual in front and dual in back. The blenders in the front are likely not "blending". He said the give the sides of center counsul a good wack and perhaps that would free the stuck actuator/blender... ??? This sometimes does actually work, but lately not. Prior the drivers side was the only issue now passenger side is acting up.

The dealer says this is a costly repair. I'm very handy and a bit strapped for cash... Any thoughts? Diagnosis?

Old 11-27-2012, 10:36 AM
Default x350 XJR Drivers side No heat!

05' XJR.... I read a bunch of threads on this issue and everything points to the heater core. Dealer says I'm crazy. And that its a air mixer/actuator likely, or a control head?

I back flushed the heater core, and that did nothing.

I look up under the dash and see 2 actuators/air mixers on the drivers side. Lower one controls face to floor operation. Upper actuator controls drivers side temp. Both move fine. Same deal on passenger side. Dealers says their are 6 in thr front of the car!? Does seem the case in reading the serive manuals? Anyone know on this?

I think if its a heater core I can DIY it... Pull glove box, pull blower motor, and heater core is behind the center console. Slides out... Heater core is $116.00 online.

Old 11-27-2012, 04:18 PM
Veteran Member
Received 760 Likes on 636 Posts

When the heater core gets blocked it is usually blocked at one end which means the symptoms are: one side heat ok other side no heat.

Servos shown here:

http://www.captainjaguarscathouse.co...ec%20Guide.pdf

PM me ur e mail address and I will send you a more complete copy. Servo locations not shown above.

Last edited by meirion1; 11-27-2012 at 04:30 PM.
Old 11-27-2012, 09:45 PM
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Fortress, I have an 05 VDP that I just went through with this. Similar deal-mechanic said blend doors but checked them out & worked fine. Long story short - he replaced the heater core & it's perfect now. The one difference I see between your case and mine is that I don't recall the passenger side acting strangely.
Based on my admittedly limited experience & the age of your car, I would think you at least have the clogged heater core, just like I had. Also my mechanic did attempt to backflush, to no avail

Old 11-27-2012, 10:58 PM
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Yep, ask me what i'm doing on Saturday? changing my heater core on my 04
VP.

Same thing, no heat!!!

Old 11-28-2012, 08:51 AM
Default Climate control Issues

Thanks for the replys folks.

I determined that the air on the passenger side is acting fine, it just was being overpowered by the cold air on the drivers side a bit. So, seems like my issue is identical to everyone elses.

The dealer is literally betting me money that "its an electrical related issue" and that i'm crazy to replace the core. Says that there is NO way that the core would be cold on one side and warm everywhere else. It would all be cold up front. My car has rear climate control as well, which is a seperate core in the rear I believe, so it would be the front vents that determine things...

After my hour long back flush with cold garden hose water nothing came out. Not even a little. I even tried backflushing then reversed that flushing the opposite way as well. Nothing. Other idea before I set out to replace the core is to put a vibrating back massager on the heater core pipes under the dash, (don't laugh) and see if I can shake the bockage loose... (someone on here said they tried that I believe. Stupid but worth a shot? )

Botton line, do I go with it being a heater core or do I pay the dealer $100 to diagnose this and rule out electrical issue such as the mixer doors being stuck?

I see that I can get a core new online from Gaudin Jaguar for $116. I assume I can just replace the core, and don't need any of the other parts they list along side the core? Pipes, fittings, etc?

Also, as far as removal. Seems like its: drop the glove box out, remove blower motor, and teh core is undr the center consule? Correct? Do I need to remove the plastic vent cover and engine support bars inthe engine bay? that's what the service manual says???

Thanks guys!

Old 11-28-2012, 03:04 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,456 Likes on 1,952 Posts

You'll need to make sure you don't get coolant all over the floor on the inside, of course. I don't know what the shops do, probably clamp the hoses in the engine bay, but that's just a guess.

I'd love to know where this silt comes from ! Actually, if it is limescale, I would have thought flushing through with citric acid might clear it, but who knows. I have the V6 engine, (not exported to the US), and so far all is clear, and warm, and I'm on 64k miles at present.

Old 12-08-2012, 11:34 AM
Default Ckimae Control Issues Update

Hi Folks,

Just back rom the dealer. They tell me that my drivers side no heat issue is 100% not the heate core... OK... What is it? They say that they have to pull out the dash and check to see if its a belnder door not working. I explained that I peeked my head up under the drivers side dash and can see the 2 actuators on the drivers side moving properly. (one for face to floor peration, one for heater hotter-colder). They tell me that although the actualor arms seem to move the actual doors inside may not be.
So they have to remove the dash to check.... It also could be the Denso climate control or who knows!????

Folks ? Any thoughts? I asked "how do you know that its not the heater core" an they said its working properly we know its not that...

Old 12-08-2012, 02:15 PM
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

You said the dealer was willing to bet you money that it's not the heater core, so tell them that if they work on it & find out it's the heater core, they do the labor for free.
There has to have been at least a dozen people to whom this has happened; I don't know why they've "never heard of it."

Old 12-08-2012, 04:40 PM
Veteran Member
Received 760 Likes on 636 Posts

"although the actualor arms seem to move the actual doors inside may not be." unlikely IMO

"they said its working properly we know its not that"... That's not an answer!

In fact if you think about it how can they know? All you can do without dismantling is to feel the pipes going in and out of the core.

They will still feel hot if you have a partial blockage, we know that is what happens-we have seen the pictures on this forum!

In the past I have had the heater core connected up and running hot outside it's housing when looking for leaks (Saab).

If that is possible on the jag you may find that there is one area of the matrix which is not as hot as the rest of it.

Don't spend money with them. Replace the core yourself and if that doesn't solve the

problem what has it cost you? $116 plus your time.

Last edited by meirion1; 12-08-2012 at 04:55 PM.