XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Clunking in front end, driving me crazy!

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2015, 11:25 AM
Received 104 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by NDW
Reporting back on the clunking noise in the front end:

..., I pushed and pulled the sway bar and it did have some play in it.
I believe this is the least expensive item to go bad in the front end, but I think my knuckles are going to make up the difference by paying the bill.
I just did this job and while it can be done mostly from the top, it is not the easiest task to do. Some bolts are easier to reach from the sides with the wheels off, especially when reinstalling the bushing clamps. Do NOT make the mistake I did of putting one bushing clamp back on with the longer bolts from the cross bar; that really screws up the threads on the bolt and in the body if you try to tighten them all the way down.

My bushings had about 1/16" up/down play and it did make a difference in the ride with new bushings. The bushings were $20 for the pair from RockAuto including shipping. Good luck

The following 2 users liked this post by philwarner:
jackra_1 (12-31-2015), NDW (01-01-2016)
Old 01-01-2016, 12:39 PM
Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

I replaced my end links and they were actually new. The clunking noise I just haven't wanted to deal with taking it to have them check out the problem. I have heard many things that it could be but I am thinking, its the upper ball joints on both sides. I think Ill order new ones off Ebay for 125.00 for the pair and change them out myself. I watched them when they put in the new strut and those are just help in by a 3 bolts and you don't have to remove anything but one nut at the knuckle and it can all be done without any special tools. If that doesn't stop it, then it has to be the lower ball joints and that my friends is a MOTHER. Anyway, the car is to perfect to let the clunk stay. I am not throwing out the baby with the bath water.

Old 01-01-2016, 01:46 PM
Veteran Member
Received 325 Likes on 198 Posts

Originally Posted by Collector1
I replaced my end links and they were actually new. The clunking noise I just haven't wanted to deal with taking it to have them check out the problem. I have heard many things that it could be but I am thinking, its the upper ball joints on both sides. I think Ill order new ones off Ebay for 125.00 for the pair and change them out myself. I watched them when they put in the new strut and those are just help in by a 3 bolts and you don't have to remove anything but one nut at the knuckle and it can all be done without any special tools. If that doesn't stop it, then it has to be the lower ball joints and that my friends is a MOTHER. Anyway, the car is to perfect to let the clunk stay. I am not throwing out the baby with the bath water.
If I understand correctly, replacing the end links did not solve your problem, correct?

In my case, I am leaning towards the transmission mount. I have one on order. I did the pry bar test on the tranny mount and it failed miserably even though, the mount itself looks perfect. I will update as soon as I install it.

Old 01-01-2016, 09:08 PM

Originally Posted by Lagonia
If I understand correctly, replacing the end links did not solve your problem, correct?

In my case, I am leaning towards the transmission mount. I have one on order. I did the pry bar test on the tranny mount and it failed miserably even though, the mount itself looks perfect. I will update as soon as I install it.
My transmission mount is also due this week. I'll report back when I have it and my left engine mount replaced. I'm hoping replacing both will eliminate the clunk I get on shallow potholes and rough spots like railroad tracks as well as a vib on acceleration.

The following users liked this post:
Lagonia (01-02-2016)
Old 01-02-2016, 12:03 AM
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I just did this job today... My front end rattled and clunked like crazy (2005 XJ8L). I first replace the sway bar links. Upon test drive my problem was 80% solved with a little noise still existing. Then, I went back in and replaced the tie rod ends. My clunking is now completely resolved. I'll take it in tomorrow for a proper 4 wheel alignment since I know I did not set up those tie rod ends perfectly, but the noisy rattles from the front end are a thing of the past. By the way, on RockAuto.com, the sway links were about $75 for the pair and the tie rod ends were about $150 for the pair - a pretty cheap fix. Also, while in place, those parts would not move or rattle on inspection. But, after removal, the integral ball joints were clearly sloppy. As such, you cannot really diagnose the problem while all the bits are assembled. Throw the $225 dollars and about 3 hours in your garage at it - you'll have it solved! Tom

The following 3 users liked this post by TomP:
jackra_1 (01-02-2016), Lagonia (01-02-2016), NDW (01-08-2016)
Old 01-07-2016, 08:09 PM
Veteran Member
Default Replaced the transmission mount and it made no difference whatsoever

Same clunk. When I took the tranny mount off, I knew it. It was actually perfect.

Old transmission mount installed

Transmission mount bracket removed

Transmission mount bracket with the old transmission mount

Getting ready to remove the old transmission mount

New vs. old transmission mount

New transmission mount installed on the bracket

New transmission mount installed

Old 01-16-2016, 03:41 PM
Veteran Member

Just to wrap-up my contribution to this thread:

Today I replaced both sway bar end links with Beck / Arnley units and took a test drive. Absolutely no difference. Clunking is as strong as ever.

I am now suspecting the Arnott's Air springs: https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...shocks-156201/

The old sway bar end links. Dirty but fully functional no problems detected. Nice and tight

The new Beck / Arnley units

philwarner (01-17-2016)
Old 01-17-2016, 11:20 AM

Yes, I have all new suspension and still the clunking. I think it is the Arnott Springs. I think the shock tubes inside are the problem not the suspension. I am going to buy new springs again and try again. The clunking was not present after replacement of the struts until about a month or so afterwards. Now, the noise is so bad its deafening.

Old 01-17-2016, 01:28 PM

Thanks for the photos. I am about to replace my transmission mount once I get that darn top front left engine mount bracket bolt snugged up; the universal and socket keep slipping off that one because of the interference with the top of the new engine mount and the extreme angle of the long extension.

My old tranny mount looks pretty much like yours so it will be interesting to see if my clunk goes away with it and the left engine mount replaced. I've read that the new tranny mount is supposed to be an "improved" design, but it looks lighter made than the old one.

There's no doubt that the old left engine mount was toast; it was completely separated into two pieces except for the little straps that limit the separation and the engine rocking up under torque. I am wondering now if the broken engine mount is the clunk source itself and if I should go for a test drive before I change the tranny mount.

Attached Thumbnails Clunking in front end, driving me crazy!-100_1566.jpg   Clunking in front end, driving me crazy!-100_1565.jpg  
Old 01-17-2016, 02:16 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by philwarner
I am wondering now if the broken engine mount is the clunk source itself and if I should go for a test drive before I change the tranny mount.
That's what I have been doing. Drive it and see if the clunk is gone. The good news is that, with a lift, the tranny mount is quite easy - 1 may be 2 hours max.

What kind of struts does your car have?

Old 01-17-2016, 02:55 PM

That's what I have been doing. Drive it and see if the clunk is gone. The good news is that, with a lift, the tranny mount is quite easy - 1 may be 2 hours max.

What kind of struts does your car have?

New Arnot air struts on the front replaced just before I bought it and I assume OEMs on the rear. The front strut bushings look OK, but you never know. At least there is no question the engine mount had to be fixed.

I'm not totally sure about the tranny mount, but like you said it looks like a piece of cake compared to the engine mount and I already have the new one.

Did you notice any difference with your new tranny mount?

Old 01-17-2016, 03:20 PM
Veteran Member

Did you notice any difference with your new tranny mount?
No difference whatsoever, zilch, zero.

Why were the struts replaced in the first place with Arnott's? Also, how long after getting the Arnotts shocks have you started experiencing clunking?

Old 01-17-2016, 07:01 PM

No difference whatsoever, zilch, zero.

Why were the struts replaced in the first place with Arnott's? Also, how long after getting the Arnotts shocks have you started experiencing clunking?
I assume the OEM air struts were bad. This car was a trade-in that a Ford dealer sent to auction rather than repair and the car lot that bought it did the repairs. It has clunked since I drove it home from Houston, Tx.

Old 01-18-2016, 10:45 AM

I replaced my front struts because one took a crap and wasn't holding air. So, we decided since they were in warranty to replace them in pairs and since they were fairly new they were under warranty. One was the old style and they aren't replacing the old style with the exact replacements but the newer style that are on all the current models and are by Continental and not Goodyear. Also, the newer style is a Mercedes design which the bag is not just a bellow that is exposed but an encapsulated new design where there is very little to no bad exposed.

Old 01-18-2016, 11:44 AM

Just to wrap-up my contribution to this thread:

Today I replaced both sway bar end links with Beck / Arnley units and took a test drive. Absolutely no difference. Clunking is as strong as ever.

I am now suspecting the Arnott's Air springs: https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...shocks-156201/
I noticed the Arnots in that thread were AS-2519 and mine are AS-2710 both dated 18.9.14. I didn't see whether it was resolved with new ones, though, unless he started another thread.

My clunk happens over railroad tracks, pot holes, and rough road patches and sometimes feels like a kick in the bottom of the seat; Not sure if the air spring shocks would transmit that kind of clunk, so I am really hoping it is the tranny mount.

Old 01-18-2016, 12:07 PM
Veteran Member
Received 527 Likes on 371 Posts

I noticed the Arnots in that thread were AS-2519 and mine are AS-2710 both dated 18.9.14. I didn't see whether it was resolved with new ones, though, unless he started another thread.

My clunk happens over railroad tracks, pot holes, and rough road patches and sometimes feels like a kick in the bottom of the seat; Not sure if the air spring shocks would transmit that kind of clunk, so I am really hoping it is the tranny mount.
A kick in the bottom of the seat definitely sounds like a bad tranny mount to me.

Old 01-18-2016, 12:14 PM
Veteran Member

Lagonia, I'm sorry if I missed it somewhere in this thread, but have you tried replacing the bushings on the actual sway bar?

Old 01-18-2016, 12:14 PM
Veteran Member

The very last thing to consider if all else fails would be the subframe bushings I think.

Old 01-18-2016, 04:47 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by XJ8JR
Lagonia, I'm sorry if I missed it somewhere in this thread, but have you tried replacing the bushings on the actual sway bar?
Not yet. I got the bushings and new engine mounts on hand plus brand new sub-frame bolts. I may replace all that next or the following weekend. I want to concentrate on replacing the valve cover gaskets and spark plug seals first. Two of them are leaking oil into two of the spark plug wells.

It looks like my Jag will be out of commission for the foreseeable future.

Old 01-19-2016, 11:32 AM
Received 34 Likes on 16 Posts

Mine are the newer style dated 15 and they are the problem. I have gone numberious times to two shops and they couldn't find anything. They noise started after the replacement of the struts. I would say about a month. We have no pot holes is curbs and I have only driven the car about 1,500 miles since I changed them. They are going to replace them. I can't drive the car with the clunking it is awful!!!

philwarner (01-19-2016)

Quick Reply: Clunking in front end, driving me crazy!