XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

clunking noise front suspension

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2016, 05:43 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default clunking noise front suspension

Hi guys,

My XJ (x358 - 2.7 diesel - 49k miles) suffers from a strange clunking noise from the front suspension (probably is coming from the passenger side but not 100% sure) over bumps (even very low ones). I think is getting worse when the car and the outside temperature is below say 10 degrees and quitter when it is warm.

I left the car to my local Jaguar garage for two days, tomorrow is the third day, when they call me and said "they struggle to find the cause".

I am concerned. If they, an "official" Jaguar garage, cannot find what's wrong then what's next?

HELP!

Many thanks

Panos

Old 11-24-2016, 06:53 PM
Veteran Member
Received 758 Likes on 635 Posts

Hi Panos

A greek in Hertfordshire is that right? LOL

There can be a number of sources of noise in the front suspension-likely ones are control arm bushes, Anti roll bar rubbers, bushes at the base of the strut.

If the mechanic has checked all the visible bushes in the front suspension it is possible that the noise is coming from the strut itself and this is NOT visible.

The air struts consist of an air bladder and a hydraulic shock absorber- the shock absorber

can fail and cause noise.

The only way to prove it as far as I know is to check all other possible sources first and then

replace the strut.

Good luck

The following users liked this post:
Panos (11-25-2016)
Old 11-25-2016, 02:58 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Meirion1,

Indeed, a Greek in Herts :-)

I will ask them if they have checked the above list and see how it goes...

Many thanks for your reply!

Panos

Old 11-25-2016, 07:32 AM
Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

I switched to the coil overs about 4 months ago and have been experiencing the same as well. I am taking my car in for an alignment today and am going to have them take a look. I'll let you know what, if anything, they say. I'm hoping it's just a roll bar, because the front control arms are not cheap!

The following users liked this post:
Panos (11-25-2016)
Old 11-28-2016, 06:07 PM
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

My 04 xj8 came to me with "neutered" suspension; air system gone and physical springs instead. It makes clunking noises on any sharp surface imperfection. Today the dealer stated this to me: "Once you neuter [x350] it will clunk. Only bushing we stock is the lower front control arm [c2c39683] because that is only one that fails over time. Noises will happen on your car if air system has been replaced with coils. Nothing will cure that. You can replace every bushing in your car, it will not help." Has anyone else heard this from their dealer? This is in Tucson AZ. Thank you.

Old 11-28-2016, 09:23 PM
Veteran Member
Received 256 Likes on 203 Posts

My experience is all the bushes will fail in 8-10 years. Maybe 12 if you are lucky.
I have the same vintage Lemforder suspension parts on a BMW and an Audi A8. All the rubber boots and bushes are fine on these vehicles. The XJR did not have an intact rubber when I purchased it. These are a 2005, 2006, and 2007.
The dealer does not stock bushes because they want to estimate the repair is 5,000.00 for arms and 6,000.00 more if you replace the shocks. Then as you go into shock offer 4,000.00 as is. As a trade in on a new one. Which they would give as a discount or loyalty bonus without a trade in. Auction off your ride and pocket the money.

Old 11-29-2016, 01:29 PM
Received 163 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by thomash85715
My 04 xj8 came to me with "neutered" suspension; air system gone and physical springs instead. It makes clunking noises on any sharp surface imperfection. Today the dealer stated this to me: "Once you neuter [x350] it will clunk. Only bushing we stock is the lower front control arm [c2c39683] because that is only one that fails over time. Noises will happen on your car if air system has been replaced with coils. Nothing will cure that. You can replace every bushing in your car, it will not help." Has anyone else heard this from their dealer? This is in Tucson AZ. Thank you.
The coils don't guarantee clunks, I can assure you of that. You don't want to go to the dealer for bushing replacement, they'll tell you to replace suspension components with the bushings already attached. I'm on coils without any clunks for more than a year.

Old 11-29-2016, 03:38 PM
Veteran Member
Received 758 Likes on 635 Posts

I don't believe any of it!

Last edited by meirion1; 11-29-2016 at 03:42 PM.
Old 11-30-2016, 07:20 AM
Veteran Member
Received 325 Likes on 198 Posts

Wow, I recently put Strutmasters coil overs to get rid of clunks due to defective Arnott's air shocks. I can personally attest to the fact that coil overs will NOT cause clunks. The conversion on my Jag cured the clunking problem.