XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Clunking Noise Going Over Bumps...

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2018 | 03:50 PM

I am having the exact same issue as the OP... a bit more advanced I'm afraid, as it now sounds like I'm jogging along with a pocket full of loose change or something. Mostly at low speeds, and yes whenever I hit any sort of small bump or ripple. Here is what I have changed so far -

sway bar bushings and end links - no change at all, but feels a little tighter now so that's good.

lower control arm bushings - no change.

front struts - replaced with Arnott AS2888's. No change, but I did get rid of the cold weather dropping issue, so that is also good.

The sound is definitely metallic but not a grinding and no particular rhythm to it - -so not suspecting wheel hub bearings (but won't rule it out). Really going back to the idea of the brake pads, but not really sure what to check for - they are newish, and when I've had the wheels off they seem to be secure in their places. Is there anything specific I can use to measure or determine that they are definitely in there correctly? I should also add that if i drag the brakes ever so lightly, the sound will disappear. Just a drag, not really any force or enough pressure to compress the system at all.

I have read all of the above threads for this issue, and at this point I am still methodically going through the suspects. I have the printout of the front end suspension diagram from another thread which has been HUGELY helpful in visualizing all of this (as well as keeping track).

I have noticed more than a few of the little lugnut chrome covers are loose - could THAT be causing it??

On another note, I will post soon a tutorial of the swaybar bushings and end links. It wasn't complicated, but there are a few things that can make it easier. Stay tuned.

Following this thread with interest!

adam

Last edited by ayavner; 03-18-2018 at 03:55 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by ayavner:
Aleather (04-30-2018), NDW (03-18-2018)
Old 03-18-2018 | 05:44 PM
Veteran Member

Have you checked the front lower air spring bushes, the ones fitted into the straight arm of the lower wishbone ? These are not a long-life component.

The following users liked this post:
Aleather (04-30-2018)
Old 03-20-2018 | 09:06 AM

Think I found the culprit in my case - as far as I can tell either these anti-rattle clips were lost or didn't come with the particular pads I ordered at the time, and it didn't register. Makes sense because the noise does go away if i drag the brakes, and also because it seems to have gotten worse over time (as the pads wear).

check it out:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/vskku03h1v..._0030.MOV?dl=0

will report back as soon as I have this remedied!!

Aleather (04-30-2018)
Old 04-30-2018 | 05:21 AM
|

Originally Posted by brian5
The Sway bar (anti roll bar) drop links on any car, take an unbelievable amount of abuse, the sway bar is in constant motion, and these tiny little links have a ball joint at each end, thats 4 on each sway bar, they probably move 10 times as much as any other ball joint on a car, and as the bar is linked at both sides, the movement is probably doubled again even the tiniest bit of wear on the ball joints is amplified and travels through the entire chassis, I have found myself hanging from the bar, and I'm no lightweight, pulling and pushing on it and still not found enough movement to justify the amount of clunking they produce, As I said earlier, I find these failing the MOT, (road worthiness test) on a regular basis, more often than not, every 2 years, sometimes every year, especially on rough roads. In my view they should be considered a service item and changed on a regular basis. they might be ok at a yearly service, with no clunks, but i could pretty much guarantee they will be clunking by the next service.
UPDATE: After replacing both front sway bar links last month, something came up and I didn’t get the opportunity to drive my Super V8 until now; and I have to say: The ride now is like driving a new car!!! I didn’t know how nice this car was, with all that clunking going on - What a sweet ride!!! :-) Now I have all four sway bar links replaced.

While 99% of the clunking is gone, there is one clunk left to be fixed and it’s on the passenger wheel when going over a speed bump or going down an uneven driveway (rattle type clunk), but I don’t really hear it while normal driving. I’m leaning towards the air shock, but maybe it’s a brake pad on that wheel.

Could the brake pad spring that holds the pad on the caliper weaken and allow movement of the pads? Below is a diagram of the front brakes on this car and the spring is #12.

Attached Thumbnails Clunking Noise Going Over Bumps...-076a086c-b032-48fb-8253-d07d04c1221b.jpeg  
Old 04-30-2018 | 08:53 AM
|

Originally Posted by ayavner
Think I found the culprit in my case - as far as I can tell either these anti-rattle clips were lost or didn't come with the particular pads I ordered at the time, and it didn't register. Makes sense because the noise does go away if i drag the brakes, and also because it seems to have gotten worse over time (as the pads wear).

check it out:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/vskku03h1v..._0030.MOV?dl=0

will report back as soon as I have this remedied!!
That is a good idea, pressing the brakes lightly while going down the part of my driveway that gets the car clunking on that particular wheel...And see if that gets rid of the clunk. I know I tried this before, but that was before replacing the swaybar end links, when the car was clunking from every which direction...

Old 04-30-2018 | 09:26 AM

I'll bet the problem was linked to your air suspension system all along, and specifically towards the rear of the vehicle. Unfortunately, this happens to be one of the drawbacks of having air shocks as they just won't handle certain bumps. The only real remedy is to convert the air suspension over to coil/springs.

Aleather (04-30-2018)
Old 04-30-2018 | 05:36 PM
Veteran Member

If you have a persistent clunk/rattle and have eliminated everything including the ARB

bushes it will be a strut.

Aleather (04-30-2018)
Old 05-02-2018 | 05:32 PM
|

Yeah - Shocks are the next big thing. I was going to put this car in storage this week, but since it rides so good, I decided to delay storage until the first week of June. So, the shocks may not be replaced until, maybe, October.

I only owned this Jaguar for about seven months. Seen it as a one owner 2006 Jaguar Super V8 with 46,000 miles, on eBay with only 20 minutes left on the bid...Did some quick research, found there was only 145 of these cars made and sold in North America, checked Carfax and bought it. Altho the car looked in mint shape inside and out, when I first drove it, I was not a happy camper! But now, I am a happy camper!!! With the help from this forum and it’s members, this Jaguar Super V8 Portfolio with 49,000 miles on it, rides like new!!!!

OK - Since I reached kind of a milestone with this car, I was thinking of putting together a short chronological history, starting from me taking over the title to what I know of its past life; to include but limited to, what I bought it for and all the costs that brought it to what it is today. I think it would be good reading and some might find it helpful.

Last edited by Aleather; 05-03-2018 at 11:35 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Aleather:
jackra_1 (01-05-2019), NDW (06-04-2018)
Old 05-03-2018 | 05:35 PM
Veteran Member

"OK - Since I reached kind of a milestone with this car, I was thinking of putting together a short chronological history, starting from me taking over the title to what I know of its past life; to include but limited to, what I bought it for and all the costs that brought it to what it is today. I think it would be good reading and some might find it helpful."

I will look forward to that.

Aleather (05-04-2018)
Old 05-07-2018 | 09:04 AM

Originally Posted by meirion1
If you have a persistent clunk/rattle and have eliminated everything including the ARB

bushes it will be a strut.
Does the Vanden Plas have a rear ARB/sway bar?

Aleather (05-07-2018)
Old 05-07-2018 | 10:10 PM
|

Originally Posted by Dan R
Does the Vanden Plas have a rear ARB/sway bar?
I’m not an expert, but if it’s a 2005 - Yes!!!

Dan R (05-08-2018)
Old 05-08-2018 | 09:32 AM

Originally Posted by Aleather
I’m not an expert, but if it’s a 2005 - Yes!!!
I had a look at the links last night. The front ones boots look good but both rear ones are in tatters. I will replace them with Moog ones which are greasable. I will have to research how to replace the sway bar bushings.

Al the tires are wearing evenly so that bodes well for bushing health. I did not see any bad bushings when I looked last night.

Old 05-08-2018 | 10:09 AM
|

Originally Posted by Dan R
I had a look at the links last night. The front ones boots look good but both rear ones are in tatters. I will replace them with Moog ones which are greasable. I will have to research how to replace the sway bar bushings.

Al the tires are wearing evenly so that bodes well for bushing health. I did not see any bad bushings when I looked last night.
Check out this post, written by Ayavner, complete with pictures on replacing sway bar bushings:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...cement-198507/

Dan R (05-08-2018)
Old 05-08-2018 | 02:12 PM

This link has pics of the sway bar links.

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...ics-faq-55280/

Aleather (05-08-2018)
Old 06-03-2018 | 07:43 PM

Here's what I did re a 99XJR thunk.

Replace sway bar bushings. I always replace the holders because they are usually rusted of slightly bent.

Replace sway bar ends.

Replace garbage Chinese shocks (previous owner) with Bilstein B4s. From what I hear, this is OEM, although there is some controversy about this on XJRs.

Replace rear shock mounts. More Chinese garbage replacement.

I listed the order that I went through. Oddly, the thunk got better, but didn't disappear until I replaces the rear shock mounts. This was a surprise to me, although shouldn't have been if I'd thought it through.
I don't recall ever replacing mounts on any car, high performance suspension or otherwise.

Good luck. Thunks drive me nuts.

Aleather (07-22-2018)
Old 01-04-2019 | 10:38 AM

My 2010 XK has similar mileage. The front-end 'clunk' in my car turned out to be a perished motor mount.