XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Coil bolts spining & not coming out

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2024, 06:37 PM
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Coil bolts spining & not coming out

2004 VDP. Pulling the valve covers to measure the lash. All but two of the 8mm bolts came out. Two are just spinning. I assume the brass inserts are spining. I have tried prying up while turning the bolts but no luck. Has anyone else have this problem and if so how did you get around it?

As soon as I posted I saw another post with the same problem. When I get them out I was thinking JB Weld as someone suggested. An
E-Z Pres insert was mentioned. I was also wondering if a HeliCoil would work. If there is enough plasic to work with that might be a really good fix. A little JB or high temp adhesive on the insert threads would make a permanet fix. Some anti seize will go on all boats in the future.

Still have to get the spinning bolts out.

Last edited by tomcoo; 06-12-2024 at 07:00 PM.
Old 06-13-2024, 03:51 AM
Veteran Member
Received 195 Likes on 152 Posts

Originally Posted by tomcoo
2004 VDP. Pulling the valve covers to measure the lash. All but two of the 8mm bolts came out. Two are just spinning. I assume the brass inserts are spining. I have tried prying up while turning the bolts but no luck. Has anyone else have this problem and if so how did you get around it?

As soon as I posted I saw another post with the same problem. When I get them out I was thinking JB Weld as someone suggested. An
E-Z Pres insert was mentioned. I was also wondering if a HeliCoil would work. If there is enough plasic to work with that might be a really good fix. A little JB or high temp adhesive on the insert threads would make a permanet fix. Some anti seize will go on all boats in the future.

Still have to get the spinning bolts out.
Which coils are they? Can you get a drill on the bolt heads? I had this problem and I am afraid the only solution I found was to (inadvertently) heat the bolt heads, which then softened the plastic surrounding their corresponding brass inserts within the cam cover sufficiently to (carefully) lever and pull the entire coilover plus its insert out of the cam cover!
I then epoxied the same size bolt 'head first' into the recess left in the cam cover and used a nut and washer to (gently) secure the coilover?
Sounds brutal, but I found there really was no other way? Any alternative suggestions would be really welcomed!! (in case I come across the same problem on the other bank in the future)?

By the way, however brutal, this worked perfectly!

Last edited by EsRay; 06-14-2024 at 03:50 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Thermite (06-16-2024)