XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Cold Air Intake Inquiry

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2017, 03:31 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cold Air Intake Inquiry

So I just ordered a cold air intake tube from Caldoofy and was wondering if anyone could shed some light on 2 air filter/heat shield options I am considering. The first is the one from Mina Gallery which looks good and all inclusive. The other is the Spectre Performance 9831 4" Inline Air Box with 6.4" Body. Looks like it would require a reducer coupler, and is half the price?
Thoughts????

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon...._AC_UL115_.jpg

or

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon....1hq0YmdGXL.jpg

Old 05-03-2017, 09:11 PM
Received 165 Likes on 104 Posts

Best to keep the stock filter box. It will outperform both of as these tend to capture hot air from the engine bay. The Caldoofy pipe will bolt right up. Good quality piece.

Old 05-03-2017, 10:37 PM

Thanks for the solid advice.

Old 05-04-2017, 01:46 AM
Veteran Member
Received 595 Likes on 472 Posts

Originally Posted by BlackKat
Best to keep the stock filter box. It will outperform both of as these tend to capture hot air from the engine bay. The Caldoofy pipe will bolt right up. Good quality piece.
They will leak hot air if you use no initiative !
Mine you can see an impression in the under bonnet/hood trim that it seals perfectly .
But I cheated and used automotive radiator foam to seal the perimeter of the pannal , and across the back of the box , and were the MAF pipe sticks through the Panal to meet the filter ,
Very well sealed , my intake air temps are very stable even when parked idling for extended intervals , my car came to me with a pod and no air box or mina box . So I've seen the with and without mina Panal IAT's I'm sure that this set up is as good now as stock box or better !
It definatly has more inlet capability.

Old 05-04-2017, 02:45 PM
Veteran Member
Received 527 Likes on 371 Posts

The air intake temps will indeed rise higher with an open air filter compared to the stock box, however once you get moving again, the temps drop dramatically and much faster than with the stock box. I've confirmed this in my experience through live data.

So yes, when you're stuck in traffic not moving, the temps will soar, and thus performance will drop...but it doesn't really matter because you're stuck in traffic! The temps will drop down to near ambient very quickly after you start moving again.

Based on my experience, it's my completely unscientific belief that the increased amount of airflow outweighs any negative impacts of increased air temps. And I don't even use a heatshield of any kind, but I do have the stock air ram still in place in order to help channel some fresh air from the grille to the filter.

All I know is that my engine used to really bog down on hot days, and the cone filter made a big difference.

Old 05-06-2017, 05:04 PM

Thanks a million to Datsports and XJRJR. Great input. I was thinking the same thing as Datsports in regards to creating a solid seal by adding foam or rubber wrap around the shield. As well as XJRJR suggested and make sure I modify the present over radiator air intake to make sure I have a good flow of cold air.

Old 05-07-2017, 07:15 PM
Received 237 Likes on 139 Posts

Either way... you can probably lower your ET just as much as the intake by pulling the spare and jack and taking a healthy dump before the run...

Old 05-08-2017, 02:15 PM

Ha Ha . Great response. Need a laugh today.