XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Collected my 2003 XJ6 which is on 30k miles

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2010, 04:32 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,455 Likes on 1,951 Posts
Default Collected my 2003 XJ6 which is on 30k miles

Well, on Saturday my wife and I went to collect our replacement car, a 2003 XJ6 (X350 model) with 30k miles on it and one owner. So tonight we got back from Hereford after a good long drive on all sorts of roads. For the Americans, the English roads were designed by drunks, so straights are quite rare, and they are also pretty bumpy too. OK, I suppose for horse-and-cart traffic at 10 mph !

I had thought the 20" Sepang wheels might make the ride a bit uncomfortable, but not a bit of it. Obviously one can feel the road a bit beneath the car, but no discomfort at all, and the car is SO stable, its unbelievable. The 3 litre V6 is very muted, but Boy does it shift the car ! And the changes are almost imperceptible. Only thing is starting from rest when it wants to jerk your head off, but I will have to learn the throttle technique a bit better. Car is BRG Metallic, with, (I think), antelope leather. I can't find anything in the particulars that says what it is, who knows where the codes are ?

Only problem was found when parked up at Craven Arms, a village in the English Marches between Shrewsbury and Ludlow. As I looked, I almost shouted Oh Noooooo !!!

Now I thought I had inspected the paintwork very carefully when inspecting the car at the dealer, but I hadn't been careful enough, because at the LH corner of the rear screen and also adjacent on the bootlid, was evidence of the "Creeping Lurgy" that these cars are known to suffer from incorrect factory paintwork preparation for the aluminium bodies. I realise now that Jaguar were on a learning curve with these cars, the technology is leading edge, but clearly they had not travelled over the complete learning curve before putting the car on sale. I just hope they have finally learnt the lessons as the new XJ of 2010 is now on sale.

So at some point, I will have to have the paintwork seen to in that area. Does anybody know the special technique needed to cure the corrosion before re-painting ? If it was steel it is a matter of phosphoric acid to clear the rust, but what is needed with aluminium I have no idea. I am fairly relaxed because the price of the car was such that it is still a bargain to me.

Weather has been so awful here I have yet to take pictures, but will post as soon as we get a bit of sun.

Old 05-02-2010, 06:56 PM
Veteran Member
Received 64 Likes on 40 Posts

Glad you got your new car
The dealer who sold you it surely is responsible for the paintwork?
At our bodyshop depending on where the corrosion is it may be neccessary to remove the rear screen to ensure all the corrosion is fully removed and then prepared before any paint goes on.Modern paints at bodyshops like ours (Dupont) come with a lifetime guarantee.
The A Pillar had bubbling paint on mine and it was done under warranty at the poor bodyshop authorised by Jag.Car was taken to the dealer who 2 days later took it to the bodyshop (nothing to do with dealer group).Had call from bodyshop and went to inspect.They said it could be painted without removing front screen and I said it couldnt.They did it their way and car came back with a line where they had lifted the rubber (which warped in the oven) and masked the screen.2nd time round they removed the screen and damaged it but car came back much better,new rubber,nre screen and no bubbling since.
I would get the dealer to sort it I think it falls under the sale of goods act or similar?
Good luck

Old 05-02-2010, 07:58 PM
ud
Received 148 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by Fraser Mitchell
Well, on Saturday my wife and I went to collect our replacement car, a 2003 XJ6 (X350 model) with 30k miles on it and one owner. So tonight we got back from Hereford after a good long drive on all sorts of roads. For the Americans, the English roads were designed by drunks, so straights are quite rare, and they are also pretty bumpy too. OK, I suppose for horse-and-cart traffic at 10 mph !

I had thought the 20" Sepang wheels might make the ride a bit uncomfortable, but not a bit of it. Obviously one can feel the road a bit beneath the car, but no discomfort at all, and the car is SO stable, its unbelievable. The 3 litre V6 is very muted, but Boy does it shift the car ! And the changes are almost imperceptible. Only thing is starting from rest when it wants to jerk your head off, but I will have to learn the throttle technique a bit better. Car is BRG Metallic, with, (I think), antelope leather. I can't find anything in the particulars that says what it is, who knows where the codes are ?

Only problem was found when parked up at Craven Arms, a village in the English Marches between Shrewsbury and Ludlow. As I looked, I almost shouted Oh Noooooo !!!

Now I thought I had inspected the paintwork very carefully when inspecting the car at the dealer, but I hadn't been careful enough, because at the LH corner of the rear screen and also adjacent on the bootlid, was evidence of the "Creeping Lurgy" that these cars are known to suffer from incorrect factory paintwork preparation for the aluminium bodies. I realise now that Jaguar were on a learning curve with these cars, the technology is leading edge, but clearly they had not travelled over the complete learning curve before putting the car on sale. I just hope they have finally learnt the lessons as the new XJ of 2010 is now on sale.

So at some point, I will have to have the paintwork seen to in that area. Does anybody know the special technique needed to cure the corrosion before re-painting ? If it was steel it is a matter of phosphoric acid to clear the rust, but what is needed with aluminium I have no idea. I am fairly relaxed because the price of the car was such that it is still a bargain to me.

Weather has been so awful here I have yet to take pictures, but will post as soon as we get a bit of sun.
Fraser,

Cannot wait to see the pictures. If you have a metalic in the paint, I believe in that circa, the colour was called Jaguar Racing Green. Traditional British Racing Green is a straight green paint. This car must look spectacular!

I too am very impressed with the air suspension. Friday night we were about the town in ours. I got into some "spirited" driving after a (couple of margauritas), This car firms up so nicely when pushed in the switchbacks.

Old 05-03-2010, 04:23 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,455 Likes on 1,951 Posts

It's now Monday night here in a very damp and cold England, and I have just finished two days of fairly long trips in the new car. Fuel consumption seems to be about 25-26 mpg (UK gallon), about the same as my Rover 75 which is a 2.5 litre V6, 1/2 a litre smaller than the Jaguar. The two cars weigh almost the same, the Jaguar a bit heavier, but no much in it, showing the effect of the aluminium body construction.

On the road this car is really nice !! The engine has more power than I need, (my wheelspin-to-wheellock days are over !), but overtakes are easy. Interior the usual Jaguar luxury; my, my, the way those memory seats move out of the way to let you out - sublime ! Sat-nav seems pretty nigh useless to somebody who did army map reading when younger, but Hi-fi very, very good.

The 20" Sepang wheels certainly let you know what road surface you are on but the comfort is still there; no aches and pains at all.

I checked the engine compartment before setting off this morning, and oil is fresh and clean, no doubt done by the selling dealer. No problems there at all, I even have two new tyres on.

I just love this car, it is so good to be back in a big Jaguar again after an 8 year layoff.

Now I just have to get that minor paintwork job I mentioned seen to...........