XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

College XJ8 Purchase Possibility- Guidance greatly Appreciated

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2016, 01:22 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile College XJ8 Purchase Possibility- Guidance greatly Appreciated

As many of you have, I have fallen in love with the XJ8.

Cars for Sale: Used 2006 Jaguar XJ8 in , Hebron KY: 41048 Details - Sedan - Autotrader

This is one that I am currently very interested, after searching for quite some time. I am hoping to get the price down to 8k.
The car has been in an accident. Rear impact requiring a new bumper. Repairs were completed at an aluminum body-shop in the Cleveland area.

The current owner has completed the following repairs:
New headliner
New Bosch o2 sensors
ONE new Arnott rear drivers side strut. I am under the impression it is common practice to replace both at the same time. Could this be a red flag? I am familiar with the Arnott brand and have considered their products on a previous car. (2006 S430)

I am also under the impression that these cars are somewhat reliable, if taken care of properly. The CarFax report for this XJ8 state the car has always been maintained properly. With that being said, please correct me if I am wrong as I am always learning.

I would be honored to hear from anyone in terms of my concerns about possible unexpected operating costs, previous accident, and possible odd strut situation.

Best Regards,

AW

Old 11-17-2016, 04:44 AM
Received 112 Likes on 89 Posts

Hi Make sure the repair to the rear has been done properly a good service history is a must on these cars,the air suspension strut is expensive to replace so most only change the one leaking.
The one thing these cars don't like is a weak battery so budget for a new one ,but trust me once you have drove one you will be hooked I was I don't know why there is just something special sitting in a xj for me

Old 11-17-2016, 07:30 AM
Received 237 Likes on 139 Posts

In the last picture the mufflers don't look right as far as there location...You shouldn't be able to see them from the side...Very important to have the front and rear suspension checked...Most of the control arm bushings can fail in the mileage range of this car...If you cant replace the bushings/control arms your self plan on spending 2K or more...

Old 11-17-2016, 07:33 AM
Old 11-17-2016, 07:49 AM
Received 243 Likes on 146 Posts

If you can pick it up for 8, that would seem like a fair price for the car. For reference, two years ago I bought my 2004 (same blue color) for 8000 with 62000 on it, with a fair amount of maintenence records, and I considered that a good deal. The 2006 has updated electronics compared to the 04-05, though I haven't had issue with mine.

The suspension is a weaker link on these cars. Plan on changing out bushings and struts at a future date. Many of the things they replaced are common wear items for these cars, including thermostat and housing.

My main concern for this one would be the rear end accident. It's just common sense, make sure the repairs look good and didn't affect anything else. I didn't see the carfax but I'm assuming it has a clean title.

The x350 in my experience has been a very reliable car. I have had zero repairs outside of maintenance with mine in 18000 miles (except for a trunk actuator going out, but I believe I broke that). IMO the dark blue is also one of the prettier colors offered.

Let us know what you decide!

EDIT: Good catch on the exhaust, viper1996. It does seem like they are hanging low. Something else to check out relative to the accident.

Last edited by chillyphilly; 11-17-2016 at 07:55 AM.
Old 11-17-2016, 01:46 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you all so much for your input!

The rear end accident is a worry of mine as well. Will be looking at the car with a fine tooth comb!

Viper1996, I also noticed the mufflers but had put the thought to the back of my head...

What do you all think that could indicate? (The low mufflers)

Also, viper thank you for the link.. I found that to be tremendously helpful when calculating my budget.

ChillyPhilly I also love the dark blue on these Xj's.

I have been working on cars almost my whole life. Grew up in Michigan working on whatever was in our garage. However, I have never worked on a car of this caliber. Besides oil changes, I only changed the air compressor on my S430.

What kind of undertaking would it be to replace struts/ bushing/ C-arms on my own? I do not mind paying for quality work, but if I am able to complete these processes on my own that would be very enjoyable.

Best,

AW

Old 11-17-2016, 04:45 PM

Maybe aftermarket mufflers perhaps?

Old 11-18-2016, 10:19 AM
Received 95 Likes on 85 Posts

The mufflers coupled with the fact that you had rear end damaged would worry me a bit. I had a rear end collision which caused my beloved xjr to be totaled because I had frame damage. My mufflers were out of whack after the collision as well. Would encourage you to have that checked diligently.

Budget some $$ for shocks and bushings. Your bushings will wear out soon, and can be replaced with a press and some know how.

Your radio setup is ideal as it can easily be updated with more modern aftermarket electronics. The touchscreen nav versions are more limited in their upgradeability.

Good luck.

Old 11-18-2016, 08:04 PM
Old 11-18-2016, 08:06 PM

Jaguar XJ8 V8 Take a look!

Old 11-18-2016, 08:10 PM
Old 11-18-2016, 08:20 PM
Old 11-18-2016, 08:46 PM

Well shoot, if were going to be posting some Craig's ads...

If this were closer I'd be checking this out...

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/cto/5871394838.html

Another...

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/cto/5877856105.html

How about this one complete with bullet holes...only in Oakland (I used to live down in the bay) lol...

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/cto/5882499163.html

Old 11-19-2016, 09:41 AM

Ya' but he 's from Kentucky!!!

Old 11-19-2016, 10:02 AM

??? I thought he was from Colorado?

Old 11-19-2016, 11:02 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,248 Likes on 2,377 Posts

Originally Posted by Alexander Whiteman

I am also under the impression that these cars are somewhat reliable, if taken care of properly. The CarFax report for this XJ8 state the car has always been maintained properly. With that being said, please correct me if I am wrong as I am always learning.

I would be honored to hear from anyone in terms of my concerns about possible unexpected operating costs, previous accident, and possible odd strut situation.

Best Regards,

AW
I never want to scare anyone off from buying a Jag but no, they are not known for their reliability. You buy them because you love how they look, and ride. You'll sacrifice reliability for that. Most of us do anyway.

First is the term "properly maintained". If it has an Arnott shock, it's not OEM and you no longer have CATS. By definition, that's not properly maintained. That makes the car worthless in my book but others see it as a step up from OEM so pick your poison there. Sounds like you're familiar.

It's been in an accident. Others have pointed out what appear to be after market exhaust. I would want to see the pictures from the accident and depending on those, have the frame inspected. I wouldn't take an owners word for it.
I would have the vehicle inspected by a Jaguar dealer or indy mechanic who specializes in Jaguar.

Check out the thread (sticky) what to look for in an x350, create a list for the mechanic and have him respond to all questions based on that list.

If the previous owner can provide you with a full history or everything including a suspension conversion, you should examine that and if he can't, walk away.

Also, proper maintenance is expensive.

Bushings - all of them - are likely due for replacement. If you DIY, $1500 - $2k for that job. Transmission is due for a flush. It can be done on the cheap but typical cost is $350 DIY, $500 for a tranny shop. Proper maintenance on these vehicles is still expensive and you should plan to budget $1k - $1500 per year. Again, check out the sticky thread for more details.

Winning an award some time ago is irrelevant now. Current condition and history are what matters.

If you go in with your eyes wide open, you will at least be prepared. I loved the car when I had it, but it was expensive to maintain.