XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Compared to XF

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2014, 09:31 AM
Received 95 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by 2ndxk8
BUT: It doesn't seem like a Jaguar to me. In my opinion it is more like an Infinity, Lexus, Toyota, Acura or many of the other competitive cars when it comes to the interior look, feel and smell. To me, Jaguar always stood alone. (Like them or not)

2X
Exactly! I had the same impression a couple of years back when I was getting work done under warranty. It's a nice car, but it's like all the other luxury makes out there. Our X350s (and X308s) are unique and distinctive.

Old 01-11-2014, 12:53 PM
Received 36 Likes on 21 Posts

Folks,

I have enjoyed this conversation.

In logic there is a common fallacy called "Nothing Buttery". It describes an argument that something is "nothing but" some aspect of the whole. Human beings, for example, are not "nothing but" molecules in motion. The Jaguar S type is, IMHO, a very beautiful automobile. My first Jaguar drive was in an S type 4.2 and I was VERY impressed. My XJ8 is certainly not "nothing but" a copy of a Buick Sable's body style. The engine block was used by the Lincoln LS and the Ford Thunderbird revival, but the totality of the engine as produced by Jaguar is very different.

Where I live in Southern California I there are lots of folks into classic cars. The 1950's General Motors cars all shared the same body and frame. The front and rear wore different grills, bumpers, hood ornaments, tail lights, etc.
But no one would have seriously argued that a Buick Century was "nothing but" a Chevrolet Bel Air.

Regarding the folks who object to the rear deck leaper ornament. I know that there is at least one more of your preference around. I was in a parking lot and spotted a late model XJ in a handicapped parking place. (Probably an older owner) I went over for a look see and noticed that he had added a traditional leaper ornament to his hood/bonnet. I understand why.

All in all, every car has its positives and negatives. But all in all, the XJ8 is a fabulous car. I break into a smile every time I leave the house and see it in the driveway.

Tom

Old 01-11-2014, 02:29 PM
Veteran Member
Received 203 Likes on 148 Posts

I currently have an 03 XJ8 and an 03 S-Type -- since the XF came out, I've lusted after it, sort of! I love the look of the new XJ, but there's just something about the sportiness of the XF that gets my blood flowing. I'd love to find a 5.0 V8 in a color that I like for a price I can afford - I'd consider selling both of my current Jags to get one good XF. Love the car!

Old 01-11-2014, 09:30 PM
Received 56 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by OldMike
I currently have an 03 XJ8 and an 03 S-Type -- since the XF came out, I've lusted after it, sort of! I love the look of the new XJ, but there's just something about the sportiness of the XF that gets my blood flowing. I'd love to find a 5.0 V8 in a color that I like for a price I can afford - I'd consider selling both of my current Jags to get one good XF. Love the car!
Too bad they wrecked the cool taillight design at the same time they fixed the headlight design! jaguar has had serious issues with light design these past few years. And with other details... the overall shapes have been great but the details and various visual clutter have been disappointing to say the least.