XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Completely dead

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2017, 04:07 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Completely dead

I was hoping someone could help. Thanks in advance. I am trying to start a 2003 xj8. I jump started the car in the best practice method after 3 years not used. The dash lights came on all fine but when I went to turn the engine over everything went dead as if blown a fuse. Now even the dash will not come on. I have checked the three mega fuses in the boot, the fuse box to the right of the boot floor and the fuse box in the engine bay to the left wehen standing at front of car looking in. are there any other fuses? or any other ideas. thanks.

Old 11-26-2017, 05:37 AM
Veteran Member
Received 306 Likes on 224 Posts

If the car was left unused for three years with the battery connected then I would suggest that the battery is sulphated-up beyond redemption.

Old 11-26-2017, 07:29 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks for your replay. today i have bought a new battery and it fired first time, someone has said that these cars do not like being jumped.

thanks again for your help

Old 11-28-2017, 12:49 PM
Received 52 Likes on 45 Posts

It wasn't the jump start that was the problem, once you started the car, it would run on the alternator which provides electrical power while the car is running, but the battery was totally gone after 3 years hooked up, the car litterally drained every single amp out of it over that time, so once you turned the ignition key back, even a fraction, as soon as the connection was cut, the car would have gone back to relying on the battery for all it's electrical power, and as that was fuc...I mean completely drained, then there was no electrical power, if you had applied a jump again, it would have started up.