XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Compressor or Suspensions?

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2013, 10:06 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Compressor or Suspensions?

Hi everyone

My XJ6 sinks when parked but lifts again when I unlock the car. Is this typically a leak in the compressor or fault with suspensions?

I had the "Air Suspension Fault" and I replaced compressor seals with bagpippingandy's replacement kit. It went away 99% but I get that fault once in awhile. Good thing is it doesn't stay on. When I stop the car n start again it goes away. So I'm assuming the compressor is not working 100% properly so is it something to do with that?

Appreciate your expert advice.

Thanks

Old 12-05-2013, 07:06 AM
Received 58 Likes on 19 Posts

One way to find out and make sure its not a leaking air suspension is to remove the fuse for the air compressor or remove the spare and its styrofoam holder and you can access the air distribution block. Once there you can unplug both connectors. By doing either of these things overnight (it takes time and hours if your leak is minor) your car will not try and compensate its leveling system and you would see a significant drop in one corner if there's a leak. Now if there is a leak you can inspect the shock body and its valve on top with soapy water once you plug everything back on to verify the leak. It is highly unlikey the lines going to the shock are bad, but if a tire change place or mechanic putting your car on a post lift happens to crush the lines they will leak. If all seems fine and while your looking at the distribution block in the trunk I would spray soapy water around that as well. Those lines going into the block have orings and I have had to replace mine as I detected a leak there. If all is looking right than I would suspect the compressor is weak. Even though you replaced the ring on the piston it still may have weak internals. Please let me know what you find as air suspension on these cars are.....finicky

The following users liked this post:
meirion1 (12-05-2013)
Old 12-05-2013, 04:13 PM
Received 88 Likes on 45 Posts

it sounds like a leak, the fact it lifts when you unlock the car tells us the compression is good as the tank must be full to lift it without the compressor running, but any sinking when parked is a leak, check for bubbles with soapy water as described above, airbags and top seals are 1st suspect, then airline connections and valve block next.

regards

Andy