XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Concerns about XJ8...

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2011, 08:46 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Concerns about XJ8...

Greetings-

I am planning on purchasing a new car early next year and have been doing research for a few months now. I have been surprised to find 2005-06 XJ8s within my planned budget of 25k. It is my understanding that this generation underwent improvments to quality and relaibility while under the direction of Ford. In fact, I haven't read any of the horror stories like I have for full size Mercedes and BMW's.

The only thing that gives me pause is the air supsension system. I've owned a total of three Lincoln Towncars all of which needed new air springs and compressors around the 80k mark.

With that said I was wondering if anyone could answer a few questions for me...
  • On average, when (mileage/age) does the air suspension system begin to give problems?
  • Whats the average cost to replace a spring? a compressor?
  • What common repairs (and cost) should one expect between the 50k and 100k mark?
  • Is there anything special I should look for before buying?
  • Are there any extended warranties you might recommend?
Many, many thanks for reviewing my questions. I'm sure I'll think of more. I searched the forums and couldn't find specific answers to some of my concerns. Hopfully I'll get some good feedback to convince me to take the plunge and join the club!

Old 02-17-2011, 09:47 PM
Veteran Member
Received 484 Likes on 405 Posts

On average, I think the air compressor goes out at about 40k miles. Air springs can go out at any time between <40k miles up to 80k miles. Seems to be that colder climates cause more failures. And usually it's only the front springs (haven't heard of a rear one going out so far).

The average cost for a dealer to replace a spring is about $1500 per spring, I believe. Probably $1000-1500 for a compressor. The compressor can be purchased from Arnott Industries and changed out in about an hour if you do it yourself for about $400. Re-manufactured springs are also available for about $900 and can be replaced fairly easily by a competent shade tree mechanic.

I'm not sure if there are any common problems between 50k and 100k, but for an '05 or '06, I would definitely factor in at least $200-300 a month for repairs and maintenance. These cars are not cheap to maintain, but I have heard (as you have) that they are not as bad as BMW and Merc.

You should look at all the typical stuff when test driving/checking out an XJ. Not sure if there is anything special I need to point out, except that the transmission is sealed and has no dipstick, so check under the car and look for signs of leaking transmission fluid. I would also make sure the vehicle has all the options you want (does it have bluetooth? audio adapter? front park assist? radar cruise control? xenons?). Not all of these items were standard in '05-'06.

If you can get a "select edition certified" car, I'd buy it. This is one of the best certified warranty programs available from any manufacturer. Unfortunately you cannot purchase this warranty separately, but other aftermarket warranties exist.

GOOD LUCK!

The following users liked this post:
JAshley (02-18-2011)
Old 02-18-2011, 02:33 PM

Originally Posted by amcdonal86
I'm not sure if there are any common problems between 50k and 100k, but for an '05 or '06, I would definitely factor in at least $200-300 a month for repairs and maintenance. These cars are not cheap to maintain, but I have heard (as you have) that they are not as bad as BMW and Merc.
See, this is the kind of answer that make me wonder and what I was looking for, in part, in my post on the true cost of owning an XJ.

Is that a true monthy figure or are you looking at $3,000 year average?
What sort of maitenance and repairs are we talking about? Are these just minor annoyances, dealer maintenance or serious things that leave you without a car?

I personally don't mind doing maintenance myself, so that should drefray a good bit of cost. But what sort of repairs are you doing monthly? Seriously, if a new car is down once a month, what good is it to have? Sure they are nice cars, but it becomes more like a motorcycle than something you can pack your family in and drive half way across the country.

Not trying to be an difficult new user, just looking for a bit more specifics on the claims that I hear so I can make a good decision.

Old 02-18-2011, 03:45 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,456 Likes on 1,952 Posts

For what its worth, I have had to take my car to the dealer a couple of times but I have done 10,000 miles since last May without anything leaving me without the car. They seem to be reliable if I take my experience, but like all cars, can need some attention from time to time. I am certainly NOT spending anything like £125-190 (= $200-300) a MONTH, and certainly not even close to the year figure you have extrapolated. Having said that I had to have the air compressor replaced as I don't have a warranty covering this item.

Maintenance is due every 10,000 miles or each year whichever comes first. This will be a few hundred pounds, I had one done last October. And of course there are tyres, not cheap, and brake pads, and discs, all service items replaced when worn out, not faults or breakdowns.

I think what people are saying is you must remember that whilst the car will be a whole lot less then the new price, (in may case it was less than 25%), any spare parts you may need are based on the new price and don't depreciate like the cars do, but this applies to all cars, cheap or expensive. I was once told at the main agents, that the air-con panel for a Mazda Xedos I had, with a single faulty push switch, could only be fixed for £500 plus fitting and VAT! I went on the internet and bought a used one and fitted it myself !

If it was me, I would go ahead, but get a warranty to cover the major parts.

JAshley (02-21-2011)
Old 02-18-2011, 04:44 PM
Veteran Member
Received 484 Likes on 405 Posts

Originally Posted by Giant Sloar
See, this is the kind of answer that make me wonder and what I was looking for, in part, in my post on the true cost of owning an XJ.

Is that a true monthy figure or are you looking at $3,000 year average?
What sort of maitenance and repairs are we talking about? Are these just minor annoyances, dealer maintenance or serious things that leave you without a car?

I personally don't mind doing maintenance myself, so that should drefray a good bit of cost. But what sort of repairs are you doing monthly? Seriously, if a new car is down once a month, what good is it to have? Sure they are nice cars, but it becomes more like a motorcycle than something you can pack your family in and drive half way across the country.

Not trying to be an difficult new user, just looking for a bit more specifics on the claims that I hear so I can make a good decision.
I don't know, I wouldn't consider my '06 with 44k miles on it to be new. In the last 3 months (6k miles) I've had it, I have had to replace the thermostat/flush the coolant (dealer, $500), do an alignment ($75), balance the tires ($55), repair a nail in the tire ($36), flush the power steering fluid (did myself for about $35), etc. The some of those things that are not unique to the Jaguar, though.

Basically I would aim to save up $200-300/month on average for maintenance and repairs. When your air suspension fails, you're going to be glad you did!

My car still has a lot of nagging issues--transmission clunking that can probably be fixed with a TCM reflash ($300), knocking noises from the engine that can be solved with an ECU reflash (~$200?), headliner that's starting to sag ($500-600), vibrations in the tires at 50-60mph ($800), and a scratching sound caused by power steering rack ($2000?). To fix all of these items would be thousands of dollars, but that's just me being nitpicky.

Last edited by amcdonal86; 02-18-2011 at 04:46 PM.
JAshley (02-21-2011)
Old 02-18-2011, 06:21 PM
Veteran Member
Received 257 Likes on 200 Posts

My 04 has given me very few problems at all and is running fine. (knock on Jaguar wood) I did replace the brakes because they were squeaking and driving me crazy. Has been one of the most reliable cars I have ever owned!!

Old 02-21-2011, 07:57 AM

Most of the problems I'm seeing seem to be related to the suspension and not the drivetrain. I can handle paying to maintain the suspension. I'm used to that after having owned three towncars (although the parts were much cheaper). Has anyone had any major problems with the engine or transmission?

Most of the cars I've found in my price range have between 40k-50k on them. What maintenance would you recommend right away?

Old 02-21-2011, 10:19 AM
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

There isn't any special attention on these cars. They have all the same maintenance as a regular car. So, make sure fluids are full and replaced when they are scheduled. They are reliable but, parts just cost more than other cars. This is why most say save 200-300 a month for repairs. It's not that you are going to spend that much a month but, to save money for if you have a major issue. I have a 04 with 83K and bought her with 69K. I have flushed the trans, replaced a leaking seal in the trans, changed the brake pads just because of the dust and replaced one front shock at around 80K. In one year that was about $1,000. With 83K on her I expect to replace the other shock probably this year. It's like any other car, you have to keep them up and DIY saves a lot of cash. The dealer will charge you a couple hundred bucks for flushing the brake fluid when you can go it for $3.

JAshley (02-21-2011)
Old 02-21-2011, 11:42 AM
Veteran member
Received 1,151 Likes on 753 Posts

lots of good suggestions already here, so won't re-gurgitate again here.

Engine, solid if maintained. Transmission, though says its sealed, plan for a pan/filter/fluid change anytime around 75k.

Since my car has the same engine and transmission, I can tell you that 4 years of drivetrain maintenance has been almost nil...dealer did the tranny service under warranty for me. I spend about $1500 a year on repairs, about half preventative maintenance, and most of my budget blown on suspension and some power steering, coolant, and oil leaks (heat and high mileage - 123k). I've been wanting an x350 as a 2nd car, and reading alot on here for a comfort level on what I can afford to own. I would think, $1000 in a savings account somewhere, and planning for $100 a month for basics like oil changes, other fluids, and brakes and then whats left over gets put into the kitty (pun intended) for the air shocks eventually, and that important tranny service. Electronics, strangely, is the least troublesome part of these cars over the last 7-8 years of production. The XFs sunroof and glove box issues, not included.

JAshley (02-21-2011)
Old 02-21-2011, 11:46 AM

Thanks for the advice guys. I think I've made up my mind that I will be buying an '06 or newer XJ8L or VDP within the next 12-14 months. Hope you guys don't mind me hanging around and asking the occasional "stupid question" until then.

Now comes the hardest part of it all.... what color? lol

Thanks again

Old 02-24-2011, 12:49 AM
DB6
ud
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Not silly at all

I often wish I had asked more questions before I bought cars' with the old premise of..."when the dick gets hard the brain gets soft", which applies just as much pretty women as cars.

oh fer yer colerrrrrrrr, if you can live with the obsession, then nothing beats black on black, (just my op)...BUT, it will only look great when wet or waxed.
its a good looking car and works well in most colours.

Originally Posted by JAshley
Thanks for the advice guys. I think I've made up my mind that I will be buying an '06 or newer XJ8L or VDP within the next 12-14 months. Hope you guys don't mind me hanging around and asking the occasional "stupid question" until then.

Now comes the hardest part of it all.... what color? lol

Thanks again

Old 02-24-2011, 10:53 AM
Veteran Member
Received 324 Likes on 276 Posts

I've had the car four years and have had only three problems, the coolant header tank leaked, the suspension compressor and a front airspring went bad. I fixed both myself with a $400 compressor and a $400 airspring, I did replace the other front airspring but it was PM, not required. The maintenance is no more than any other car and parts aren't especially expensive if you look around some. The first tires lasted 60,000 miles, the front brakes went 50,000, the rears are still good at 60,000, and so on, just normal stuff. I do plan to service the transmisssion soon and change the fuel filter (60K). This is one of the more dependable cars I've owned and the nicest driving car I've ever owned.

Old 02-25-2011, 12:34 PM
DB6
ud
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Default You got 60K on a set of tires...

Originally Posted by oldmots
i've had the car four years and have had only three problems, the coolant header tank leaked, the suspension compressor and a front airspring went bad. I fixed both myself with a $400 compressor and a $400 airspring, i did replace the other front airspring but it was pm, not required. The maintenance is no more than any other car and parts aren't especially expensive if you look around some. The first tires lasted 60,000 miles, the front brakes went 50,000, the rears are still good at 60,000, and so on, just normal stuff. I do plan to service the transmisssion soon and change the fuel filter (60k). This is one of the more dependable cars i've owned and the nicest driving car i've ever owned.
wow !
50 k on brakes and rears good at 60 K, man you must have touch of a feather.

Old 02-25-2011, 12:57 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

FWIW, I have 171K miles on my '04 XJ8. At about 125K, I replaced the coolant reservoir tank. At 140K, I had the air suspension compressor and relay replaced (dealer=$1300). And there have been a few other minor needs, but basically, the car has been reliable and low maintenance, given the mileage. Currently, the front suspension creaks and groans sometimes, and the steering wheel occasionally squeaks in cold weather conditions. But until "the boss" starts complaining, I intend to keep my check book closed on these issues.

Old 02-25-2011, 01:20 PM
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

No big issues on my 04 VDP with 75,000km (about 50K miles).

I've changed the tires ($1,200) and the brake pads and rotors front and rear (Did it myself for $400!).

It's driven through 7 Canadian winters (Winnipeg and Calgary) and never failed to start. First error message I've had was this morning at -40F, but that went away when the temperature increased.

Old 02-28-2011, 02:26 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hello, I have had my 04 for about a year now, and change the front brakes myself last evening. Not a huge event but saved some money. So far the car has been dependable, although proper maint. is the key to any car. Always remember, if you can't afford a little repair now don't worry, it will cost triple later on!