XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Configuring Instrument Pack

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2017, 03:29 AM
Received 137 Likes on 87 Posts
Default Configuring Instrument Pack

Good Morning Fellow Owners,
Long story so I’ll try and be brief. Car is 2003 X350 3 Litre. Originally fitted with Adaptive Cruise Control which failed and module (behind bumper) is not repairable. Using SDD tried various recommendations with a view to deleting the ACC (I’m not bothered about ACC but trouble is it disables ordinary cruise, with dash message ‘Cruise Not Available’). Was not able to delete
the ACC so have reluctantly fitted a used PCM/ECU from an identical car (but WITHOUT ACC). Went through the immobilization process with SDD and car starts & runs fine BUT still
have no ordinary cruise control. Checked codes and I have U2515 (IP), which indicates ‘Missing
message from Adaptive Cruise Control’ presumably at Instrument Pack (IP).

I can only guess that the Instrument Pack was originally configured for Adaptive Cruise
Control and that I need to reconfigure same ?? Obviously I don’t want to lose the original
odometer reading so I’m hoping I can just reconfigure the existing unit. This takes me onto
my question - Has anyone out there got experience of doing this and did they have any
problems. I note that on the SDD it gives option of configuring NEW cluster, but no mention of doing same with existing unit (as with some other modules).

This Adaptive Cruise problem seems to be common, particularly on 2003/2004 cars, which used
a one-piece unit. Used items are extremely rare and new ones (at around £2,000) are on back-order
from the factory anyway. It seems ridiculous that the failure of one part can render a cars other
systems inoperable.

All comments or advice will be very welcome. Thanks everyone.

Old 08-24-2017, 06:22 AM
Veteran Member
Received 592 Likes on 362 Posts

It is possible to reconfigure an X350 with ACC to disable it and still retain normal CC without changing any hardware. You can even retain the steering wheel switches, although the buttons will change function (I recall that the SET/+ button ceases, resume because SET/+, and the gap increase buttons becomes resume).

From memory you need to reconfigure the instrument cluster/pack and the engine control unit to change from ACC to non-ACC. I don't think you need to configure the ABS unit, although they are different modules, but it was a while ago so I may have forgotten that step. Using SDD go through the options for a new module configuration and select the appropriate options. You will probably need the code from the label in your spare wheel area to reprogram the IP (it will prompt you were to find it if needed). The ACC module can then be removed entirely.

Old 08-24-2017, 06:49 AM

Hello Dave. Thank you for your input. I have previously tried to delete the ACC from the original PCM/ECU using SDD and IDS (I was informed by another member that the latter, which is an earlier version) was required and that the option was removed with the intro of SDD. Unfortunately that was unsuccessful with both programmes, hence my change of PCM/ECM. Presumably, from what you say, I should be able to select 'No ACC' from options if I reconfigure my Instrument Pack as a new unit ? As I said before I'm not bothered about ACC, I just want ordinary cruise. By reconfiguring the instrument pack will I have to go through the immobilization routine again ??

Kind regards - Keith

Old 12-20-2017, 11:09 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Did you get this fixed?

I managed to switch an ACC - PCM to Non ACC ok using SDD v131.

When you connect to the car and it asks you to define what is fitted to the car choose standard speed control. Then once in the session go to service functions and I think the option is something like dealer fit options. Then in this you can select acc or standard cruise or no cruise.

Old 12-28-2017, 12:41 PM

Hi m1keh,

Thank you for your input. I had SDD v130 and v128 and was unable to change the
set-up to non-ACC. In the end I fitted an ECU/ECM/PCM from an identical car (but without ACC). Obviously I had to reprogram the security side of things but afterwards it performed faultlessly (I put a note in service book just in case a future owner wished to re-program ECU). This episode was only because the car was the first year of manufacture (2003) - later cars used two units for ACC and the parts are readily available secondhand. Moral of the story is - if buying an early X350 avoid it if the ACC isn't working (unless you don't mind changing ECU). Once again, may thanks.

Old 01-02-2018, 10:12 AM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm trying to do the opposite. I have a 2003 XJR with inoperative ACC. The cruise works like standard. I suspect someone disabled the ACC. I want to try to get it working.