XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Considering a 2005 VP

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2023, 06:40 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Considering a 2005 VP

hi,
I've been considering a 2005 Vaden Plas. The car is in god shape but it has 94,000 Miles. Should this amount of mileage be of a concern?

Thanks,
DS

Old 04-02-2023, 07:08 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,426 Likes on 1,906 Posts

How much do you know about Jaguar's? Is this your first one?
Can you do the repairs as that is an old car and even Jaguar dealers are turning away people with 10+ year old cars.
Your in Newfoundland how far away is the nearest Jaguar dealer?

Your on the right forum so read all you can about that model. All cars have their known problems and on that car I would learn all I could about the failure prone and very expensive to fix air ride suspension. Mileage is a concern but mainly because we don't know how or if it was taken care of? Do you have any service records?

Finally what do expect to spend on this? The purchase price will just be the beginning so do plan for additional spending to repair and keep up the car.

The following users liked this post:
Deepstuff (04-06-2023)
Old 04-03-2023, 08:51 AM
Received 82 Likes on 52 Posts

Where is the VP currently located? In the states; cars in FL or CA or AZ seem to have braved the elements best except for hurricanes, floods or monsoons in AZ.
Does the seller have maintenance records? As stated above the air suspension usually needs replacing by 100K miles, again depending on how the car was driven. Check the F and R suspension components, too. I've found it's easier to replace the entire component than mess with the bushings. Was the car garaged kept? If not the headlining may begin to come unglued. There is a sticky about what to look for in an XJ-8. You may want to find it and read it.

There are many sensors on these cars and a battery below 12,6VDC can be problematic. That's my 2 cents (American). Getting a trusted mechanic to get under the hood is always a good idea, too.

Deepstuff (04-06-2023)
Old 04-03-2023, 12:55 PM
Veteran Member
Received 798 Likes on 670 Posts

With the proper maintenance performed in its lifetime, & not abused.
Its just broken in, the mileage is getting close, to its first sparkplug change .
They all need suspension work, at least both mine did.
Anything i have purchased used, usually reeded something repaired.
What you will have, is a fun to drive luxury car, that looks much newer than it is.
Without going into debt, for several years

Deepstuff (04-06-2023)
Old 04-03-2023, 04:26 PM
Received 58 Likes on 34 Posts

I have had my X350 V6 for 2 years now, I searched for a car that had only one owner and had been garaged.It took me a while but I did find one in the end. I would have preferd the V8 but couldn't find good one. Anyway mine has done 127,000 KM and the suspension works wonderfully with no signs of needing work, with the exception of an alarm saying "AIR SUSPENSION FAULT" but this is obviously a sensor fault not the actual suspension. If I knew where to look for the sensor I would try to fix/replace it. (anyone here to assist with this ?)
So good luck with your potential purchase, they are wonderfull cars to drive.

Deepstuff (04-06-2023)
Old 04-06-2023, 02:36 PM

Originally Posted by clubairth1
How much do you know about Jaguar's? Is this your first one?
Can you do the repairs as that is an old car and even Jaguar dealers are turning away people with 10+ year old cars.
Your in Newfoundland how far away is the nearest Jaguar dealer?

Your on the right forum so read all you can about that model. All cars have their known problems and on that car I would learn all I could about the failure prone and very expensive to fix air ride suspension. Mileage is a concern but mainly because we don't know how or if it was taken care of? Do you have any service records?

Finally what do expect to spend on this? The purchase price will just be the beginning so do plan for additional spending to repair and keep up the car.
Yes, I am capable and prefer to do my own regular repairs when I can. This would be my first Jag, but not my first old car. There is a dealership 20-minutes from my home. I don't know if there are service records with the car or not but will ask and look for anything air suspension related. Car is supposedly from Florida and in showroom condition. If it is I guess it must've been well taken care off and stored in a garage.

Old 04-06-2023, 04:08 PM

Originally Posted by rsa760041
Where is the VP currently located? In the states; cars in FL or CA or AZ seem to have braved the elements best except for hurricanes, floods or monsoons in AZ.
Does the seller have maintenance records? As stated above the air suspension usually needs replacing by 100K miles, again depending on how the car was driven. Check the F and R suspension components, too. I've found it's easier to replace the entire component than mess with the bushings. Was the car garaged kept? If not the headlining may begin to come unglued. There is a sticky about what to look for in an XJ-8. You may want to find it and read it.

There are many sensors on these cars and a battery below 12,6VDC can be problematic. That's my 2 cents (American). Getting a trusted mechanic to get under the hood is always a good idea, too.
Car is now in Canada. It came from Florida. It has some service records. I havnt viewed them yet. Nothing done to air suspension.

Thanks

Old 04-06-2023, 06:02 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Every foreign car that I have bought from the humid southeast has had a failing ceiling interior. I guess they use an inferior glue and it is labor intensive and expensive to restore.

Deepstuff (04-07-2023)
Old 04-07-2023, 07:30 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,426 Likes on 1,906 Posts

Yes it comes with the territory I guess?
I live in the hot and humid south so headliners falling are a common occurrence.
All makes and models suffer from this as the roof really takes a beating in the sun and all that heat destroys the glue used on the headliner. Next thing you know it starts sagging and drooping.

The only upside is down here since it is very common there are many shops doing that repair so a pretty competitive market. Now I would NOT go to the dealer as it will be a shocking experience!

Good thing is if the car was garaged that will make a HUGE difference in all the exterior stuff. Especially the paint!

Deepstuff (04-07-2023)