XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Coolant Expansion Tank - instructions needed to change

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2019, 01:34 PM
Veteran Member
Received 798 Likes on 670 Posts
Angry

Far worse I M H O
That P O S gauge, can cook your engine, before you might realize it's even getting HOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 08-01-2019, 07:43 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Ira
Amazing guide. Exactly what i hv been looking for. I just wanted to change the sensor but the new 9ne was not going in. So i wanted to take the tank out and put it in.. hats off whoever made this guide. You r a g..

Old 08-01-2019, 08:45 PM
Received 13,204 Likes on 6,553 Posts

Originally Posted by Reead Boodhoo
Amazing guide. Exactly what i hv been looking for. I just wanted to change the sensor but the new 9ne was not going in. So i wanted to take the tank out and put it in.. hats off whoever made this guide. You r a g..
Hi Reead Boodhoo,

Welcome to the Jaguar Forums! It's great to have you with us.

Please visit the New Member Area - Intro a MUST and post a required introduction so we can learn something about you and your Jaguar and give you a proper welcome.

Cheers,

Don

Old 08-11-2019, 01:21 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Tank

Do get the tank from the dealer and replace it yourself. Unless you have the precise Park code for that vehicle don't buy it from anywhere else.

I've done it twice and it's not very difficult the second time the tricky part is removing the pain on the lower connection hose after that it's easy. When you put that same lower hose back on you'll feel it Snap-on.

Old 08-11-2019, 01:33 PM
Veteran Member
Received 798 Likes on 670 Posts

Just don't loose that metal snap ring!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 08-13-2019, 01:04 PM
Received 100 Likes on 88 Posts

Well I'm in the process of removing of what appears to be a 90 degree black metal connector that somehow fastens to the plastic port on the bottom of the radiator expansion tank. Can somebody give me a tip or two as to how to remove the connector? It was probably discussed before in this thread, but I would appreciate some guidance. Thanks.

Old 08-13-2019, 03:52 PM
Received 100 Likes on 88 Posts

Well, I did manage to install the new radiator expansion tank, but now I'll have to wait until the vent hose comes in. One not only has to remove both ends of the large top coolant hose, and swing it out of the way. but there is also a smaller coolant hose underneath that has to be disconnected at the engine. This is in order to gain access to the retainer clip at the bottom outlet of the radiator expansion reservoir.

Last edited by Rickkk; 08-13-2019 at 03:58 PM.
Old 04-20-2021, 06:13 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Metal clip?

Originally Posted by timfountain
I have been monitoring my expansion tank weekly as I noticed when cleaning the car a month ago that there was very faint residue of dried out coolant on the outside near the top.

I gassed-up the car last night and decided to take a look whilst the car was hot after a good run and to my horror there was a pretty good weep of coolant fluid running down the side of the tank, so obviously it is time to replace it. BTW the car has 52K miles and lives in the TX heat. I seems Jaguar can't design a decent tank, both of my '00 S-Type 4.0's needed new tanks at around 40K and my XJ6 needed a new one every 3 years!

I have 2 requests:-
1. Can anyone help me with step by step instructions for replacing the tank?
2. Can anyone point me to a source for the tank, the local dealer want $120+tax which seems to be a bit steep.

Thanks in advance

- Tim
Any tips on how to remove the metal clip from the lower hose?

Old 04-20-2021, 08:16 PM
Received 13,204 Likes on 6,553 Posts

Originally Posted by Andy Coles
Any tips on how to remove the metal clip from the lower hose?
Hi Andy,

You don't need to remove the metal clip, and it's best if you don't try, because it usually flies off of the hose and lands in some inaccessible part of the engine bay, never to be found again.

The trick is to pull it out just until both legs click into their retracted positions. Normally I use a small flat-bladed screwdriver. Slip the tip into the raised section of the clip and pull straight away from the hose just until both legs of the clip click into their retracted detents. However, due to the limited access to the clip on many X350s, I may use a hook-type mechanic's pick to pull on the clip. The type I use is either the second from the left or the one on the right:

Once you get the clip pulled into its retracted position, it can still be very difficult to work the hose off of the reservoir, but with continued effort you'll get it off. Note that there is a locating tab on the reservoir fitting and a groove inside the hose fitting that prevent it from spinning, so you can't twist it to help it come off.

Also, before you even attempt to disconnect the hose, be sure you have removed the 8 mm screw that secures the reservoir, which allows you to lift up the right end (as viewed from in front of the engine bay) and move the reservoir a little to your right to slide the tabs on its left side out of its bracket. This will let you lift the reservoir just a little for very slightly improved access to the coolant level sensor and hose. And disconnect the sensor so you don't risk damaging its wiring or connector while you're working the hose off.

Before you connect the hose to the new reservoir, put a dab of O-ring grease (dielectric grease, disc brake caliper grease or other clear silicone grease) on your finger and reach inside the hose fitting and wipe the grease on the O-ring inside the fitting, and wipe a little on the fitting on the new reservoir. Push the hose clip back into its seated position and you should be able to push the hose onto the reservoir fitting until it clicks.

Cheers,

Don

Old 04-21-2021, 02:09 AM
Veteran Member
Received 194 Likes on 151 Posts

Andy, just a quick point that may assist...When my tank was leaking, I found that it was doing so past the filler cap...
I went to the expense of buying a new tank before discovering that this was being caused by a failed Thermostat!

Old 04-21-2021, 08:13 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Many thanks Don . Very helpful. Will try again tonight!