XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Coolant hosing leak?

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2010, 01:05 PM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Coolant hosing leak?

Hello everyone. A couple of minutes ago, I jumped into my 04 xj8 for the first time today to head to home depot. Started the engine and the car ran but had a slight shutter? I shut the car down and popped the hood.

Right in the front middle of the car is the coolant resivoir and straight below that is a filter like thing at the bottom of the engine bay. Well under this filter is a lot of fluid and the coolant tank is under the low sign? Is this a coolant housing leak?

I did a pre buy inspection on the car before I bout it a couple months ago at jaguar Aston Martin of Tampa and they told me that the coolant housing had a slight leak. I discussed this with the previous owner of the car that was there with me and we agreed the is he had it fixed there and then at the dealer at his cost I would still buy the car. So we went into the service advisor and told him the situation and he said it would be a couple hours. So I left and we agreed to meet back at the dealer later on that day to finish thing up. When I returned the car was in the front parking spots of the dealer so we did the paper work and on I went. This was about a two months ago and have had no trouble since then.

The funny thing is, is that the guy I bought the car from knew everybody at the dealership. I guess he used to work there before he set out on his own to sell jags as a dealer. Do you think the work never got done? It's Sunday so the service departments are closed today right? What is your guys advice?

Old 09-26-2010, 02:13 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,455 Likes on 1,951 Posts

Well, lets go through what might have happened: -

1. No work was done at all when you bought the car, they drove the car round the back, counted to 100, then came out front and parked the car

Verdict - Unlikely, as you have had no trouble for 2 months

2. The coolant housing was replaced with a new genuine Jaguar part.

Verdict - Unlikely, as it has only lasted two months in service

3. A 'Bodge' was done to cure the leak on a temporary basis

Verdict - Likely, as repairs before a sale eat away a the profit

4. The new coolant housing was not correctly coupled up so the connections are now leaking

Verdict - Maybe - the work could have been rushed

5. Repairs done correctly, but now something else near the coolant housing is leaking.

I tend to favour options 3 or 4.

Old 09-26-2010, 07:53 PM

So what do you all think I should do? Call the Tampa dealer and ask them if the work was really done? When the work was done it was done under the previous owner so I don't think the dealer will pull up the records or not? Any ideas from you all? Thanks!

Old 09-26-2010, 09:55 PM

Looking for a little advise guys please help.

Old 09-27-2010, 08:00 AM
Received 42 Likes on 33 Posts

Ah, if you bought mine you would have got a new expansion tank, thermostat, thermostat housing and water pump! Sorry to rub it in...
IMHO it is not a very expensive fix and is a DIY if you don't want to pay the dealer. Just change it out and move on. I tend to agree with upthread posters who suggest that it might have been bodged, but at this stage who knows?

- Tim

Last edited by timfountain; 09-27-2010 at 01:03 PM.
Old 09-27-2010, 09:17 AM
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Find the leak. Mine was just the vent hose on top of the exspansion tank and the compression clamp was allowing coolant to slightly leak. Sometimes you have to clean the hose, outlet, readjust the clamp and use a touch of vasaline.

Old 11-08-2010, 06:36 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I had a similar issue, but mine was on top. After significant unsuccessful review, I took to dealer. The nipple connecting the overflow hose to radiator had a pinhole that shot water out when system was presssurized. I ended up spending $150 to replace entire tank. Once I knew what it was, I could have replaced myself after purchase of unit from dealer for $97 + tax. After some thought, it was worth $53 not to get my hands dirty and about 30 minutes of time. I think these plastic tanks have issues! Accept it and move on. I tend to value my dealers work and trust their recommentations. I do challenge their responses if only to understand the work to be done. If you think the dealer short changed you, start looking for another dealer. It is not worth your time and effort, nor the dealer's, if one doesn't trust the other. Go someplace where you feel comfortable. Chock this one to a learning experience.

Old 11-08-2010, 07:20 PM
Banned
Received 256 Likes on 218 Posts

I bought my 05 XJR at Jag Aston Martin of Tampa as well. There were a few issues, as a condition of sale, one of which was a low coolent warning. I don't really know what they did to fix it but fix it they did. That was nearly 2 years ago. I can only hope they treated you as well.

As far as outright failure is concerned, the car has been about what I expected. I did have to re do the front brakes and replace a lower front suspension arm and there is a looming air shock issue that will get sorted out soon, none of which are covered by "select edition" warranty. For a Jag it's the old story. The good still out weighs the bad by a long shot.

Mind you, if it had been my wife's Buick or Ford Edge with these sort of service issues we would be outraged. It's to be hoped that you have seen the worst with your 04 XJ and they didn't "pencil whip" a serious problem.