XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Coolant Leak. Changed the coolant reservoir, but it came back

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2022, 12:20 PM
Received 51 Likes on 35 Posts

Thanks for all the advice and help... I ordered the hoses from the dealer (and looked up all the correct parts) Boy o Boy were they expensive. The radiator, thermostat, water pumps also on order. The last thing I'm thinking of changing is the Auxiliary pump? maybe... but no bushing changes for me.. I'm stopping the madness at the coolant system lol

Old 03-13-2022, 08:47 PM

UPDATE: I started the job today. Removed all the covers, air cleaner box, coolant reservoir, and the shroud/electrical fan assembly. Tomorrow I'll remove the the radiator and all the coolant hoses. I also going to do the water pump and Thermostat assembly also.

I just opened the new thermostat w/ Integrated Thermostat housing Gates 34726. I didn't see a gasket in there. That's disappointing. I saw that there was only one seal for sale on rockauto.. It's a thermostat housing seal (looks like a big thick o-ring).. Is this all that I need to buy?

Thanks!

Old 03-13-2022, 08:57 PM

I just saw that Amazon sells the entire thermostat housing assembly with temp sensor and seals. Looks like a big octopus. Now I'm second guessing myself for not buying this assembly. Will I be ok just changing the thermostat and housing? or does the entire assembly tend to fail?

Sorry if these questions seem silly, but I have everything available now and don't have experience with these assemblies..

Car now has110K miles.

thanks again

Old 03-14-2022, 02:27 PM
Received 13,104 Likes on 6,529 Posts

Originally Posted by mpasiuk
I just saw that Amazon sells the entire thermostat housing assembly with temp sensor and seals. Looks like a big octopus. Now I'm second guessing myself for not buying this assembly. Will I be ok just changing the thermostat and housing? or does the entire assembly tend to fail?

Unless you have a leak from one of the water outlet pipe gaskets (Parts 7, 8 and 9), you usually you only need to replace the thermostat, Part 3, and the thermostat cover gasket, Part 4:

You can look up part numbers here:

https://parts.jaguarlandroverclassic.../brand/jaguar/

Replacing the entire water outlet pipe assembly is a much bigger job (removal of the rear pipe (lower right in the diagram) requires removal of the intake manifold), so unless you have a leak, just replace the thermostat and cover gasket. Note that the studs that secure the cover do not need to be tightened overly much - just snug. The gasket does all the work, and the studs just need to be tight enough that they won't vibrate loose. If you have an inch-pound range torque wrench, the torque specification is in the Powertrain section of the Workshop Manual, which you can download from the 'How To' / DIY Repair & Maintenance sticky.

Cheers,

Don

Last edited by Don B; 03-14-2022 at 02:34 PM.
Old 03-14-2022, 10:12 PM

Thanks Don B! I ended up not changing the thermostat, housing and gasket. I didn't have the gasket/seal on hand, but if it ever leaks it looks very easy to change.

UPDATE: Job is complete. Took longer than expected. About 8hrs. New radiator, water pump, all new hoses, and serpentine belt. Getting the radiator in and out was a bit if a struggler for sure.

I was nervous pressure testing the system and when I did no leaks. So happy. Thanks for the help everyone!

The following 3 users liked this post by mpasiuk:
Don B (03-14-2022), kiznarsh (03-15-2022), scooterforever (03-15-2022)