XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Coolant Leak - Valley Hose?

Search this Thread

Old Yesterday, 04:15 PM
Received 97 Likes on 62 Posts
Default Coolant Leak - Valley Hose?

Hi All,

I haven't posted here in a while, but still drop in to read from time to time. My 2004 XJR has been sitting unused for about six months now. The last time I used it, I noticed a massive coolant puddle underneath it. I got it home and parked it and figured I would attempt to repair it this summer when the weather was nicer. I don't have a garage that I can pull the car into, so I have to do the work on my driveway. The summer is rapidly passing, and I need to get this fixed before I end up working in the cold and rain again.

Based upon all, I've read here over the years, I'm assuming that this is likely a valley hose rupture but I don't know for sure. How would I tell?

I have read through the "a journey into the valley" thread on here in its entirety and I've also read the Google doc that was linked to in that thread.
  • There are about 13 part numbers listed in that Google doc, do I need to order them all?
  • Should I start taking everything apart first and then see what's needed? As I said earlier, I'm not certain it's the valley hose that's the problem, but knowing this era of Jag's propensity for the hose to leak, I'm speculating that's the issue.
  • Is anyone aware if the list of part numbers in the google doc is still good?
  • Is there other maintenance that I should be doing at the same time I remove all these parts? I don't think the supercharger oil has ever been changed.
I'm fairly handy when it comes to maintenance, but this does seem like a rather large job, and a little overwhelming. From all I've read here over the years, I'm guessing this is about a $3-4K job if I take it to a shop. That doesn't leave me much option, but to do it myself.

I'd greatly appreciate any advice you can offer on doing this job. Also, if you know of any changes to the part numbers, please let me know.

I definitely need some pointers here.

Thanks.

The following 2 users liked this post by MrWhite:
04Xjrsteve (Yesterday), Thermite (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 04:41 PM
Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts
Default I'm Coming Out of The Valley Soon

If I thought it could be done for 3 - 4k, I'd jump at it! No, I am actually getting a good deal of satisfaction getting it done with the help of the exquisite souls on this site. I'm waiting for a hose on Thursday. I plan to crank her this weekend.

I decided to replace all of the available hoses. You will see that a goodly number of your hoses are ready to let go. DO NOT REMOVE THE HOSE CONNECTING THE FUEL RAILS!! As to if it is the valley hose, just remove all the plastic & it should be apparent if it is the valley hose.

I saved over 50% on hoses at Harper. Don't let the site turn you off with high shipping costs. Talk to Carl; all of my hoses, etc. were shipped for $50.00.

I also replaced cam covers & water pump along the way. Drilled a recalcitrant bolt, etc.

I will post my list of hoses & gaskets.

I actually got out for a sail today now that the car is close! Of course, I noticed engine work needing...

Carpe diem,

The following 4 users liked this post by 04Xjrsteve:
Don B (Yesterday), Jaroslav Záruba (Yesterday), Pete M (Today), Thermite (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 05:03 PM
Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by 04Xjrsteve
I will post my list of hoses & gaskets.
Yes please! 👍🏻🙏🏻

The following users liked this post:
04Xjrsteve (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 05:16 PM
Received 97 Likes on 62 Posts

Hi Steve,

Thanks for getting back to me. I haven't heard of Harper before, do you have a link? I'd really appreciate seeing your parts list when you are done. I took the parts list from the journey into the valley thread and searched them all on the jaguar of palm beach site. Three of the parts are listed as no longer available and I'm already up to $422. Yikes!

I'm glad you were able to get out on the water. We live in the perfect place for it.

04Xjrsteve (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 05:19 PM
Default Will Post List Tomorrow

When I get to my office.

Old Yesterday, 05:48 PM
Received 185 Likes on 167 Posts

Originally Posted by MrWhite
Hi Steve,

Thanks for getting back to me. I haven't heard of Harper before, do you have a link?
Dunno if this is the one?

https://parts.harperjaguar.com/

With a Rover as well as the Jag, I use "many" suppliers amongst 'the usual suspects'.

Not just price shopping and how close to OEM - or NOT... As our vehicles age-out of the higher volume category, it is becoming increasingly rare that any ONE of them has ALL the parts needed in stock, if even a third to half of them.

I have been putting "spares" aside for several years, already. A complete NEW Wabco compressor sat for over five years, just went into service. I have an ABS system cached as well...

Cooling system plastic parts I buy two or three at a go.

Sod's Law sez any part you already have spares for in local-stock, won't fail.

I should buy a second Rover, complete, but experience sez those need TRIPLE redundant backup.

Sod was a freakin' optimist!!!

Last edited by Thermite; Yesterday at 05:54 PM.
eliotb (Today)
Old Yesterday, 05:54 PM
Default Will Post List Tomorrow

When I get to my office.

Old Yesterday, 06:26 PM
Veteran Member
Received 752 Likes on 632 Posts

If you have a coolant leak and it's significant then the coolant will run down the bck of the engine

Don B (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 06:42 PM
Received 185 Likes on 167 Posts

Originally Posted by meirion1
If you have a coolant leak and it's significant then the coolant will run down the bck of the engine
Nah.. If it runs down the back, is warmed and spread by bell housing and exhaust so it seldom leaves evidence on the ground?

That's a MINOR leak.

'Significant' leaks also run down the front, wet the serpentine belt badly enough to rob the power-steering pump at carpark-slow maneuvering speeds ......and the steering goes really hard!

Jaguar designers didn't try to PREVENT leaks. They only made them "stealthy" and hard to find so the motorcar could PRETEND to not have plumbing problems.

Akin to farting in a gentlemen's club and counting on all hands ignoring it.. because the fartee is a famous person and properly attired in morning - or evening - dress.

You'd have to ken the Sassenach?

Before you start.. check the tiny inlet hose to the header tank, next to the bleeder screw. Had one perish right there whilst the hose looked so GOOD I ***-u-me-ed the fiting to the header tank was cracked, bought a new header tank.

Perished hose became obvious when I started to pull the tank. New hose fabbed from ignorant coil stock as sold by the foot. New header tank is still in my JLR spares closet.

Might rank as the fastest, easiest, and cheapest fix to JLR plumbing as ever was? Every now and then even a deaf hog wins the lottery?

Last edited by Thermite; Today at 04:13 AM.
Old Yesterday, 07:35 PM
Received 13,009 Likes on 6,498 Posts

Hi MrWhite,

I use an endoscope to confirm valley hose leaks. Inexpensive USB endoscopes ("borescopes," "inspection cameras") that use your phone as the video monitor are available on Amazon.

Valley hose leaks, no matter how serious, almost always leak coolant down the rear of the engine and onto the bellhousing. They rarely leak onto the front of the engine because of the coolant outlet tower and high ledge in the block casting at the front (at the right in the photo below). I think once I encountered a hose that ruptured near the front of the engine and sprayed a little coolant forward where it could be seen in the recess beside the supercharger.

Recently, our member RichardS found that the 4.2L in his X150 was dripping coolant from the transmission bellhousing access hole, and ultimately discovered the coolant was leaking around the diamond-shaped rubber plug in the valley of the block, down into the recess of the block and out the rear into the bellhousing. See his thread here:

Coolant Leak Inside Torque Converter Bellhousing

It seems like every time I have done a valley hose job it has been a challenge to source all of the correct hoses. The Jaguar parts diagrams are not always correct by VIN, the hose names are often not helpful, and the hoses you need appear on multiple parts diagrams. The parts changed over time, and of course, they are different for the S/C and N/A engines. My advice would be to get your critical valley hoses from a Jaguar dealership and not trust any aftermarket parts or parts suppliers for those. Parts that can be replaced without removing the supercharger can be sourced elsewhere (e.g. water pump, supercharger & accessory drive belts, etc.)

One part that is often missing from parts lists is the brake booster vacuum hose connector at the induction elbow. If yours isn't broken now, it probably will be after you disconnect the vacuum pipe from the elbow. You usually don't need to replace the brass bushing, but the plastic insert is usually already broken or breaks during the disconnection process. They come in a kit, C2S15816:

Cheers,

Don

Last edited by Don B; Yesterday at 08:07 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by Don B:
motorcarman (Yesterday), Pete M (Today), Thermite (Today)