XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Coolant Recovery Tank Saga Detailed and a Question

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2013, 04:02 PM
Banned
Received 41 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by oldmots
The discussion on fixing the tank is kind of funny. This is serious penny wise and pound foolish activity. The few bucks you save will go away when you are in Tucson on a trip and the thing dumps your coolant. The ones with the generic tanks that develop a coolant leak on a trip and the low coolant light never comes on may lose their engines over this dumb move. Sorry, had to say it!
I have already said. Repairs on that tank are penny wise and pound foolish.

Old 01-22-2013, 09:49 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Kinda like replacing the same bad part over and over and expecting different results... that not the best idea either. It’s not always about money. Sometimes it’s about finding creative solutions to difficult problems.

Replacing the plastic OEM part with another plastic know to fail part is not very smart since it’s not a permanent or reliable solution. My OEM tank lasted 40k miles. Per the dealer this is not uncommon in Texas. I hated having to put back the same bad part knowing it going fail and put me at risk.

It is clear the OEM part fails often and can lead to a critical problem. Many times the out of box thinking gives rise to creative and better solutions. Clearly replacing the plastic known to fail part with another one over and over is not very wise. It’s like beating you head against a brick wall over and over and expecting a different result.

I for one applaud these guys for looking for more permanent solutions even if some of the ideas also happen to be super economical at the same time.

I wish we could hear more feedback about the aluminum replacement parts. It was great that the older models generated enough attention for third parties to build an aluminum thermostat housing option which was preferred to the same old plastic OEM guaranteed to fail part.

Maybe more discussions like this will give more options in the future.