XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Correct air suspension pump for an '04

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2013, 01:56 PM
Received 247 Likes on 177 Posts
Default Correct air suspension pump for an '04

I think I may need to replace the air pump on my 2004 XJ8 since a rebuild and a new right front air shock from Arnott still leaves me with a persistent "air suspension fault" once every ignition cycle.

The pump seems to be operating correctly and the car maintains its proper ride height even after sitting for a day or two over a weekend. Yet I still get the warning pretty much within the first 5 minutes or so of every ignition cycle. When I push the reset button the warning goes away and the amber light stays on. The warning does NOT reappear no matter how much more or less I drive in that cycle but as soon as I start the car the next time the warning comes back within a few minutes.

That makes me think that the pump is still a problem even with an 'Andy' kit and if I have to replace it will the one from an '05 XJ8 work just as well. I've spied on at a good price including the entire suspended mounting rocketry and might grab it as insurance.

Any knowledge on this as the advertisement specifies 2005 & up?

Old 08-23-2013, 02:50 PM
Received 88 Likes on 45 Posts

Hi, I would strongly recommend a fault code scan before buying any more parts, especially if it seems to be working ok, It could be an electrical quirk or something else giving the error, it would save a lot of grief and buying expensive parts which may not improve it.

regards

Andy

Old 08-23-2013, 04:11 PM
Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

Second getting the codes read

As for your q
The compressors are the same for all x350s
Coventry west sells used with a 6 month replacement warranty for $125 plus shipping

Old 08-25-2013, 12:25 PM

Originally Posted by Bagpipingandy
Hi, I would strongly recommend a fault code scan before buying any more parts, especially if it seems to be working ok, It could be an electrical quirk or something else giving the error, it would save a lot of grief and buying expensive parts which may not improve it.

regards

Andy
My problem with code reading is that the two closest Jag dealers are about 120 miles distance in opposite directions and getting there and back is an all day deal so I want to combine that with other tasks as well. I do need a second key fob programed and evidently from what I've been told it takes dealer programing to get my trunk cd changer to be able to be recognized by the audio system.

As an aside, does anyone know if the "air suspension fault" is a persistent code that will repeat as mine does unless and until it is removed/cleared from the system by a dealer?

Old 08-25-2013, 05:51 PM
Veteran Member
Received 755 Likes on 633 Posts

Maybe ask a local independant mech if he has a diagnostic kit which can see Jaguar codes?

Old 08-26-2013, 12:14 AM
Received 27 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by RDMinor
My problem with code reading is that the two closest Jag dealers are about 120 miles distance in opposite directions and getting there and back is an all day deal so I want to combine that with other tasks as well. I do need a second key fob programed and evidently from what I've been told it takes dealer programing to get my trunk cd changer to be able to be recognized by the audio system.

As an aside, does anyone know if the "air suspension fault" is a persistent code that will repeat as mine does unless and until it is removed/cleared from the system by a dealer?
No, once the cause is corrected the air suspension fault will go away on it's own. That being said you could always do a hard reset. Remove the negative battery cable and touch it to the positive battery post/cable while the positive is still attached to the battery. This will drain all the capacitors on the vehicles computers and result in a clean re-boot. You only need to touch the cables for a few seconds, you should see/get to sparks when doing this.

Old 08-26-2013, 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by DonsXJ8
No, once the cause is corrected the air suspension fault will go away on it's own. That being said you could always do a hard reset. Remove the negative battery cable and touch it to the positive battery post/cable while the positive is still attached to the battery. This will drain all the capacitors on the vehicles computers and result in a clean re-boot. You only need to touch the cables for a few seconds, you should see/get to sparks when doing this.
Back when I replaced the right front air bag I had the battery disconnected for several hours (also touched disconnected + to - terminals) and surprisingly the only stuff I lost were the trainable things like universal open and close, etc. Even my radio didn't lose it's settings, and of course the air fault came back.

Old 09-05-2013, 12:18 PM
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Hope it's not too late, but I wouldn't pay a dealer to program your key fob. If you have at least 2 fobs (and that includes the valet key) you can do this yourself. Now, if they do it as a courtesy, then go ahead. If you still need this done, and need the instructions you can search for them on the forum (not sure where, but that's where I found them) or send me a PM and I'll send them on to you. It's very easy to do. I bought a blank key for about $65 and had it cut at a local locksmith for $50 (too much) and did the "programming" myself. Total of $115 for what the dealer was going to charge $275.

Old 09-06-2013, 02:53 AM
doc
Received 202 Likes on 169 Posts

Originally Posted by RDMinor

Might be time to invest in a code reader!

ScanTool.net LLC - OBDLink SX Scan Tool/OBD Interface - ScanTool.net

I bought the OBD SX scan tool windows based 3 years ago I actually paid 89.00 for it its cheaper now

Best tool I ever bought I have used it on my 04XJ8 and my older 95XJR6 Jags the wife's Jeep the old Citroen best $89 I ever spent

I actually take it with me when I look at buying a car that way I can see what and if there are any hidden problems

I would like to get a better one but so far its done everything I wanted and saved me a fortune in guesswork and diagnostics

There are cheap Chinese IDA copies on Ebay but I haven't heard of anyone buying one yet if anyone has a Chinese jaguar IDA machine and it works okay lets hear from them please

There are a few posts on the forums about scanning tools there might be a better one but for $49 that's cheaper than a decent bottle of scotch (LOL)

Last edited by doc; 09-07-2013 at 08:09 PM.
The following users liked this post:
meirion1 (09-06-2013)