XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Couple questions about my new (to me) XJ8

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2012, 05:12 PM
Received 78 Likes on 58 Posts
Default Couple questions about my new (to me) XJ8

So I picked up a 05 XJ8 having sold off my 99 VDP. Not 100% sure I like the newer body but its a Jaguar so Im happy, I think.

I first and formost I cannot get comfortable in this car. The seat just will not go where my older X300's seat would. Thankfully I dont share either car with anyone so I hope I can find a happy place and all will be good.

Also, I read the complaint thread and could see how the keys hitting your knee would be a problem but I dont keep anything on the ring thats long so it doesnt bother me.

What does though is the tire noise from the back of the car. Its almost like something is rubbing but I had my mechanic put it up and check it out on his rack and it all looks fine. He thinks its the tires but they are like new and I would hate to replace them already.

Also, the trans in this car seems like a pile of goo. To me at least it doesnt seem to shift consistantly right. Is there an issue with them ? Maybe its just me and my being used to the other bodystyle/trans combination.

The 4.2 however does seem to have more get up and go thats for sure. but I dont think the ride is as nice.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Old 10-24-2012, 04:24 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,462 Likes on 1,956 Posts

I first and formost I cannot get comfortable in this car. The seat just will not go where my older X300's seat would. Thankfully I dont share either car with anyone so I hope I can find a happy place and all will be good.
Do you have the 12-way, or the 16-way seat adjust ? I have had no problem with my seats which are 16-way, but some people have complained of the bolsters on the Sport seats being too hard.

FWIW, I can do Crewe, North West England to Bingen-on-Rihine, Germany in a day without discomfort. Thats about 650 miles. My car has the Sport seats. Even with 12-way, you should be able to get comfortable, but if you are very tall, sometimes it can be difficult; I am 5'6" with very short legs !!

Old 10-24-2012, 04:34 AM
Veteran Member
Received 219 Likes on 181 Posts

Just had a look at a review on your car John,maybe you wrote it??
Cons

Fussy interior controls, clumsy transmission shifter, CD changer is still in the trunk.

Sorry but LOL !!

Old 10-24-2012, 03:12 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,462 Likes on 1,956 Posts

Not sure of the point of the last post by Gippsland. Are you a Jaguar enthusiast or what ?

Old 10-24-2012, 10:10 PM

Hmm..... and whats funny is I didnt make any of those negative comments. I love Jaguars, new bodystyle (X350) that Im not used too so I wanted to ask some questions.

I do find it interesting that I haven't had a reply to my questions though. Maybe just a different bunch on this section. I know whenever I had a question about my XKR someone always chimed in. Heck even on the X300 section it seemed everyone had an opinion.

Well I am getting more comfortable in the car so thats not really an issue anymore. The rear tire noise though still has me bugged.

Old 10-25-2012, 12:05 AM
Veteran member
Received 1,151 Likes on 753 Posts

this area is less frequently traveled and posted in John, I noticed the same thing. Probably less x350+x358 owners as well...as there was only 6 production years compared to the 9 in the xk8-xkr area.

The air suspension is something you have to get used to...you didn't have that in the X308 did ya? Its totally different than my xk8's coils and shocks.

As for your transmission, mine shifts just lovely. I would go for an adaptation clear, see if your car needs any 'updates', you never know. Of course, that does require a trip to the dealer or someone with SDD to get them cleared...any other dealer service you can request to get it thrown in with? an alignment perhaps?

BTW, i'm still trying to find the best seat position, with the 3 lower lumber adjustments and that seat cushion forward and back is hard to find the perfect combination; every day seems like I tweak it one way or the other...going on 2 months now, still not there.

Old 10-25-2012, 06:10 AM
Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts

Welcome to the forum John, I had trouble getting comfortable with my seat in the begining but now think it's the best of any car i have owned. And i have now taken some long trips.

I agree that the X300/308 is a prettier car on the outside but the extra room and the layout of the interior of the X350 IMHO more then makes up for it. Then throw in the 4.2L with the ZF6hp26 6 speed trans and the unique alum body construction. IMHO the X350 is the best of the XJ's even with the air ride problems.

I have a "rubbing" sound also but mainly from 50 and up. I have had it checked several times with no answers. I can vary the pitch abit with tire pressure and the sound is getting worse as the tires are wearing so I am leaning toward the tires making the sound. I will post if I find anything more.

Old 10-25-2012, 07:14 AM
Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

John welcome, can't find a comfortable seat position yet as H20 I fiddle with mine every time I drive, my wife's XK fitted like a glove straight away. I also have a sound like a worn bearing, but have had them checked they are fine, brakes rubbing? No they are fine, so must be tires. As my front tires are new (came with the car) but they are the last thing it could be. I do plan to change the tires when I change my wheels next year so will see if the sound goes away. I have been told that the Aluminum construction does amplify sound and tires can make all sorts of noises. Yep agree you may need a reset of the Auto box a reflash could def fix things. A car would not be interesting if there where not things we love and hate about them, sort of like a wife really.

Old 10-25-2012, 07:18 AM
Received 50 Likes on 46 Posts

I agree that it takes some time to get the seat right on my XJR. There are too many fine options to try, but I think I got it now after 3 months.

I am very happy with the tranny and find it very interesting how it appears to keep the engine at roughly 2000 rpm no matter now fast I am driving, so the engine is a a very good torque range all the time!

Old 10-25-2012, 11:27 AM
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Trans shift quality

My 2005 vdp shifts perfectly.
On light throttle ( normal acceleration) it is very smooth, soft actually. Can hardly feel it shift.
Add some power and then it shifts more firmly, more positive. All computer controlled. I like it.
Snowing here.
Baby tucked away in the garage.
4x4 diesel truck time...
Gary

Old 10-25-2012, 12:13 PM

Thanks to all for the input. Thanks also for the welcome to this section of the forum. H2O yanno I never thought about the production years and that leading to active members in that area. This is also the first Jag ive had with the air suspension and I am getting used to that. The seat situation I have 90% cured and probably shouldnt have mentioned it until I drove the car for more than a week.

The noise in the rear still has me puzzled and I will be first, getting the tires (which are like new) re balanced and rotated. If this doesnt sure it then I will dive deeper into the world that is Jaguar ownership, LOL, as I have since 1977 when I bought my first one.

Thanks again all and Im sure I will be asking or commenting on other things with these in the future.

John

Old 10-25-2012, 12:53 PM
Received 95 Likes on 85 Posts

I can't compare vs an older Jag as my 2004 XJR is the only one I've owned. I have driven a friend's X308 XJR (forget what year) and I found my 95 BMW 540 to be a better ride than his. But I LOVE my XJR - speed, power, finesse, elegance. There is also a "stare factor" as there aren't many around vs Mercs and BMWs, and the body remains a distinctive design.

Hope you enjoy it.

Old 10-25-2012, 11:36 PM
Veteran member
Received 1,151 Likes on 753 Posts

There's a few of us John that can open up the threads a bit more around this subforum. Surely we've got things to discuss!?! I suppose it's my turn, eh?

My michelin tires are loud, I hate them. Too much tread left to discard them, however. I'm dealing with them.

Dealer alignment scheduled for Saturday, I've hit a couple potholes and knocked out the toe...driving me crazy!