XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

to cover or not to cover that is the question

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2014, 09:23 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile to cover or not to cover that is the question

Hi Everyone,

I finally bought my 80 year old Dad last week a 2006 XJ Super V8 w/less than 12k mi. Car is sweet in and out. He drives to work and back everyday and we live in FL so car will sit outside in sun and rain so want to know...

To car cover or not to cover? I was searching here on what type of covers to purchase and saw some remarks that car covers can create small scratches on the paint job (the car is in pristine condition and no dings, scratches etc).

First initial thought was to get a good sun protector cover that is light and custom fitting but now not so sure. Read that someone thought not putting a cover is better than putting one on.

Dealer said to keep it waxed and detailed every two months.

Any feedback or recommendations?

Thanks!

Ron

Attached Thumbnails to cover or not to cover that is the question-dad4.jpg  
Old 05-31-2014, 12:55 AM
cjd
Received 90 Likes on 74 Posts

If used on a dirty car, it can scratch the finish over time. The alternative is to have the interior and rubber crack from the UV exposure. In my oppinion, that is worse than "possibly" dulling the finish. I choose to cover, but only when it is clean. I have had no issues with the finish...although I go through a cover every 2 years. The UV destroys the cover that fast, so imagine what the car would look like without it.

Old 05-31-2014, 07:44 AM
Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

I would be more protective of an eighty year old working with a cover in the hot Florida sun than a paint job on a car. You have already indicated that HE is the treasure by buying him the car. I'd let him enjoy it with a minimal effort. I'm sure he is up to the task at this point but as we age.....
2X

Old 05-31-2014, 07:48 AM
Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

By the way, you are a great son!
A super V8 with under 12,000 miles. You're a good finder too.
2X

Old 05-31-2014, 12:20 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,261 Likes on 2,381 Posts

Originally Posted by 2ndxk8
I would be more protective of an eighty year old working with a cover in the hot Florida sun than a paint job on a car. You have already indicated that HE is the treasure by buying him the car. I'd let him enjoy it with a minimal effort. I'm sure he is up to the task at this point but as we age.....
2X
I whole heartily agree. I had an 86 VDP with a simple nylon (same material as a tent) cover. It took less than 1 minute to cover the car. I've been unable to find a cover of similar material for my 85 Super V8. I bought a multi layered monstrosity that is heavy, takes two people to cover the car or 3-4 minutes alone. It has to be inverted as the outer layer will scratch the finish. Long story longer, the car is covered in the garage during off season only. And I also agree that you are a terrific son!

Old 05-31-2014, 09:11 PM
XJL
Received 142 Likes on 109 Posts

You have some options here to consider:

1. There are many portable free standing car port type covers with a metal or tarp roof you could install.
2. Tint the windows, get a windshield shade to protect the interior.
3. To protect the exterior use a high quality sealant every six months or a coating like OptiCoat (there are many others) each year.
4. Use a good UV protectant product weekly to cover your rubber, plastic, and vinyl parts. Chemical Guys and others sell these protectants and they are inexpensive.

I would never put a car cover on a car unless I had just washed it because it will marr the clearcoat. You only have so much clear coat (about as thick as a sheet of paper) so I would opt to use OptiCoat which would totally protect your paintwork regardless of the sun.

By the way, that car is a gem! Great find!

Old 05-31-2014, 11:41 PM
Received 254 Likes on 83 Posts

Keeping it simple so your father can fully enjoy the car makes sense. Car covers are difficult for one person and tend to scratch the clear coat from the on and off actions. Here is an idea, to protect the interior from the hard sun, expecially Florida sun, have the windows tinted with UV film. The film blocks out 97%/98% of harmful UV. My car has had window film since new and the wood inside is absolutely new looking, no sun fade at all and interior excellent. For the plastic, a good UV protectant spray and for the sun roof rubber seal use the high quality, colorless CRC silcone spray put on a rag and wiped onto the rubber seal a few times a year, only takes minutes of time to do. This will keep it soft.

Great find, great car and great gift.