XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Creaking and knocking noise from front-end

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2017, 10:34 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Creaking and knocking noise from front-end

Hi everyone. I have a 06 VDP with 11k miles. I use 2 set of wheels/tires, one for winter and one for summer. The summer set is the original set of tires. Since I put the summer set back, I have started noticing a creaking AND knocking sound from the front end, specially when I steer on the left hand side, at slower speeds (say less than 35) though more pronounced when I drive aggressively. Its not too bad of a sound really but still bothers me (since I am bit detailed).

I went to a local shop, they checked it out, things looked good otherwise but they referred me to this service bulletin (installing crush tube screws), which seems to be similar to what I experience, though wanted to check with you guys what you think. (It would cost 300+ so I want to make sure its not a black hole I am chasing, and going after the right issue).
Link: Tech Tip: Jaguar Front End Creaks/Knocks on Bumps or Turns
b/w: I dont see this bulletin on JagRepair.com somehow, would someone have a full link?

1. I dont see the bulletin details, would someone have a full link to it?

2. What are crush tubes for ... to prevent lateral sway? If so, the strange think I have noticed since I swapped summer wheels. The vehicle has: a) wheel balancing issue - I balanced them at Walmart twice (since want to stay economical, its free), but the balancing problem is still there. B) Immediately after I swapped the wheels (summer in place of winter), I noticed a significant lateral sway in car at high speeds. At first it scared me, but now that I have become accustomed I no longer notice or feel it. I attributed it to the tires (10 yrs old, original that came when car was supposedly new). Do you think these issues are inter-related? The crush tubes, the steering shake around 50-70 mph range, the lateral sway?

3. Has anyone else experienced this?

Last edited by Don_p; 05-23-2017 at 11:27 AM.
Old 05-23-2017, 04:00 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,462 Likes on 1,956 Posts

Crush tubes are part of the body structure and take loads from the bumper. They are carefully profiled so that if an excessive load is applied from the bumper, i.e a front-end collision, they crush up and prevent damage to the rest of the car. By doing this they lessen repair costs. They also absorb energy in the collision so are also a safety feature. They have nothing to do with the front suspension.

Looking at the TSB, it appears to be the installation of bolts to secure the crush tubes better so that they don't move slightly when the car body is stressed by turns and bumps. Don't forget there is a large and heavy bumper swinging on the end of those tubes, so any slight play can make a noise.

The following users liked this post:
Don_p (05-23-2017)
Old 05-27-2017, 03:29 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks Mitchell on the details. I still suspect, while the service bulletin does fit the problem, though to me its hard to imagine that this noise is coming from the bumper play; to me this creaking sound is a deeper sound that seems to travel through the suspension and just not located near the bumper.

Originally Posted by Fraser Mitchell
Crush tubes are part of the body structure and take loads from the bumper. They are carefully profiled so that if an excessive load is applied from the bumper, i.e a front-end collision, they crush up and prevent damage to the rest of the car. By doing this they lessen repair costs. They also absorb energy in the collision so are also a safety feature. They have nothing to do with the front suspension.

Looking at the TSB, it appears to be the installation of bolts to secure the crush tubes better so that they don't move slightly when the car body is stressed by turns and bumps. Don't forget there is a large and heavy bumper swinging on the end of those tubes, so any slight play can make a noise.

Old 05-27-2017, 04:16 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,462 Likes on 1,956 Posts

There is also a TSB for the anti-roll bar mounts that were noisy. There is a thread on this forum somewhere. Apparently Ford Thunderbird mounts were fitted in error !!

The following users liked this post:
Don_p (05-27-2017)